SPL Phonitor XE

Right?!

That little 1 X 1 block is a true Damocles Sword! :rofl:

1 Like

If I ever get one, Iā€™m doing the exact same thing.

@Andrew_Davis Are you keeping the RNHP?

I know @giova05 was moved enough by the Phonitor to part ways with the Neve. Curious if youā€™ve come to the same conclusion.

Personally, I just donā€™t like excesses. I honestly donā€™t really like owning more than 1 main headphone even. I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. That being saidā€¦ I think the RNHP is a decent complimentā€¦ but my guess is something like the Cayin IHA-6 or a tube amp would be a better compliment to it.

1 Like

I think I would go for a tube if you can, I think you already have plenty of solid state lol

1 Like

Agreed. ****

For me personallyā€¦ Iā€™ve had enough of a taste of tube, I donā€™t really have a longing desire for it. Iā€™m good with just the Phonitor for the time being. Whenever I do get a new amp, itā€™ll be just to do a straight upgrade or just to get something different and sell off the Phonitor, most likely. Iā€™ve got the Ares 2 on the way, so thatā€™ll be fun to see how that sounds and see if I want to keep that over the Topping.
Iā€™ve mainly been looking at turntables now.
Mainly considering a Uturn Orbit Plus, Fluance RT82, or pro ject debut carbon. I found a really nice ā€˜mom and popā€™ record store nearby and Iā€™m itching to start up my record collection again soon.

5 Likes

Iā€™m only keeping one, but Iā€™ve had less than an hour to compare.

I have preliminary thoughts, but theyā€™re equivocating, half formed and mostly take the form of ā€œon one had, and on the other.ā€

More later.:grin:

1 Like

I should also say that I got the Phonitor e used for $950. That shouldnā€™t change the Sonic part of my evaluation, but it certianly changes the value calculation!

4 Likes

So I believe Iā€™ll be returning the Topping D90 and just use the built in DAC of the phonitor e for the time being until Ares 2 arrives. Might get an SU 8 or Enog 2 pro in the meantime as well. Aside from reversed channels, Polarity and Phasing seem perfectly fineā€¦ after having tested it. And the reversed channels can be corrected by just flipping the inputs of the headphone cables for the Clears.
D90 just isnā€™t worth itā€™s asking price, IMO. There doesnā€™t seem to be any real tangible benefits from having ā€œgreat measurementsā€.

2 Likes

Enog is great FWIW.

1 Like

Good to know! I ended up ordering the Enog. Already got the return shipping label from Apos Audioā€¦ so Iā€™ll probably ship the D90 back to them once the Enog arrives.

2 Likes

I think it says a lot for the Phonitor that itā€™s allowing to really ā€œhearā€ your dac.

Canā€™t wait till I can get one.

1 Like

@M0N, have listened to this one? Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s a viable SE option for the ā€˜big boyā€™ Phonitor, and the RNHP.

1 Like

It really didnā€™t impress me that much tbh, nothing really stood out to me regarding it. I think for that price you could find a used phonitor e or something which would be the better choice imo

2 Likes

Thanks. It seemed liked it could be a ā€œto good to beā€¦ā€ situation.

Time to do some research, aka: Google. :laughing:

1 Like

Andā€¦ itā€™s discontinued.

https://spl.audio/studio/phonitor-mini/?lang=en

yeah, the mini was their first attempt at something a bit more consumer facingā€¦ from what I read into. The newer amps are the second (better) attempt. lol

1 Like

Correct. But the older ones are the long boi if you wanted that lol

1 Like

Haha. Iā€™m just trying to avoid buying another RNHP while I save for the Phonitor XE! :laughing:

3 Likes