Tanchjim Impressions Thread

It was quite the opposite for me but I do see your POV. It can sound unenthusiastic at the beginning when you move from an IEM that costs much more.

3 Likes

I hope I am not causing issues. But, d m41n man at H***-fi has a review up that, I think, really captures what the 4U is all about.

I’ll read through especially about how the tuning changes

Thank you. :+1: It’s funny how that website never appeared when I searched for it on Google. I found the Android app, and it looks like there’s also an official iOS version available. I tried the app with the Tanchjim ONE DSP, and the app has improved significantly since the last time I used it. There are many EQ options.

2 Likes

I need to update the app. When you side load, you don’t get auto-updates. I really wish Tanchjim had their app listed on the Google Play store, and I think their permissions are shady, which might be the real issue with it not being listed.

1 Like

Yeah, same thing with the Moondrop Link app.

1 Like

I think the only app for gears, that has excellent support and frequent fixes and updates is from Qudelix.

Their support for Qudelix 5K and T71 is just outstanding.

1 Like

haven’t seen many reviews of T71. would love to see a review with comparisons to Navigator, ibasso dc elite and other competitors.

man, don’t start me on the tanchjim app. it is the worst app I have ever seen for a product, it is even worse than moondrop link app

What’s your fav tuning, mine is 1. pop and 2nd atmosphere.

I’ve owned all of them. In the order of my preference with regards to SQ

DC Elite > Dita Navigator > T71 > 5K.

But T71 is not a slouch. I just placed it after Navigator because I like warmish organic sound.

DC Elite or Mojo 2 ?

Just for pure Tonality.

DC Elite any day for tonality. Mojo 2 for technicalities.

1 Like

Mojo 2 is loved and well received by many folks. I liked it too especially the DSP/EQ options but I just didn’t see myself owning it long term and sold it.

DC Elite on the other hand, is definitely coloured but I really liked it and still regret selling it.

If you want an all rounder with few features that actually matter with a reference sound (with slight warmth), go for Mojo 2.

If you want a smaller and simple to use device with fun tuning yet has really good technicalities, go for DC Elite.

2 Likes

My preferences are like 4U only. I freaking love Olina, Oxygen, QT9

DC Elite might go well with the tuning styles right?

1 Like

It should bro.

After owning and using the Elite extensively, this is what I have to say about its sound.

It’s warm and smooth. Sounds transparent and natural. It’s close to balanced however I feel it leans towards the bassier side with a little bit of shimmer in the treble. It sounded mildly V shape. It doesn’t however do any injustice to the mids. Mids are a little recessed but it’s definitely not something I would consider to be a con (as I love mid-forward presentation) because the overall tonality, texture and fun factor the Elite brings to the table is enjoyable.

There are a few quirks with its usability though.

It does draw a bit of power. Similar to RU7 and a lot more than W4.

The music is briefly (fraction of seconds) interrupted while using the volume wheel (it’s analogue and not digital). It can be annoying at the beginning but you will get used to it eventually.

There is no app for iOS which means that you will have to stick to the default filter unless you connect it to the UAP app on Android, change the settings and move back to iOS (settings will be retained).

I mentioned the last point as a quirk because the default filter is D1 fast roll off which makes it much more energetic sounding with few IEMs and D2 slow roll off is what my preference is.

1 Like

Here’s my review for Tanchjim 4U

Sources used:

• xDuoo XD05 Pro (AKM / Rohm) (w/ SS3602 OpAmps)
  • Dita Navigator
  • D16 Taipan
  • Qudelix T-71
  • RME ADI-2 Pro FS R
  • iFi Go Pods

Introduction​

Tanchjim is a renowned name in the community, known for delivering high-quality in-ear monitors that offer impressive sound performance and build quality. With previous hits like the Oxygen and the Hana, Tanchjim has built a solid reputation. Their latest offering, the Tanchjim 4U, aims to continue this legacy with a unique feature: four adjustable bass modes to tailor the sound to your preference.

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

Design of the IEM​

The Tanchjim 4U sports a minimalist yet elegant design, featuring an all-metal shell with a combination of matte and polished finishes. The build quality feels robust and premium, though the polished parts may be prone to scratching. The included cable is decent—thin yet soft and easy to manage, with a 3.5mm termination and two-pin connectors.

IMG_3520.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG

Fit and Comfort of the IEM​

Thanks to its lightweight and ergonomic design, the Tanchjim 4U fits comfortably and securely in the ear. The variety of included ear tips ensures a good seal and stable fit, making it suitable for long listening sessions without discomfort.

Sound​

Tuning Modes​

The Tanchjim 4U offers four bass adjustment modes: Monitoring, Natural, Pop, and Atmosphere. These modes allow you to tweak the bass response to suit your taste, providing varying levels of bass energy and subtly affecting the lower mids.

IMG_3278.JPG

Sub Bass​

The sub-bass performance varies significantly across the modes. In the Monitoring mode, the sub-bass is quite lean, almost rolled off. The Natural mode adds a bit more sub-bass, but it still lacks depth. The Pop mode improves the punch but still has noticeable roll-off. Atmosphere mode offers the best sub-bass extension, delivering a satisfying rumble without being overwhelming.

Mid Bass​

The mid-bass is punchy and dynamic, especially in the Pop and Atmosphere modes. It adds a sense of energy and warmth to the music. However, in the Monitoring and Natural modes, the mid-bass is more restrained, which can make the sound lean and less engaging.

Mid Range​

The mid-range is where the Tanchjim 4U shows its V-shaped tuning. In the Monitoring and Natural modes, the mids are recessed, resulting in a colder presentation. Pop mode improves mid-bass presence but still keeps the mids slightly recessed. Atmosphere mode balances the mids better, but they can still feel a bit overshadowed by the bass and treble.

Treble​

The treble is bright and forward, adding detail and sparkle to the sound. It can be slightly harsh and fatiguing for treble-sensitive listeners, especially in the Monitoring mode. In Atmosphere mode, the treble remains detailed but is smoother and less fatiguing, making it the most balanced option.

Tone and Timbre​

The tone and timbre are generally pleasing but can vary across the modes. The Monitoring mode sounds cold and analytical, while the Atmosphere mode adds warmth and richness. However, the overall timbre can sometimes feel artificial due to the recessed mids.

Staging, Instrument Separation, and Layering​

The soundstage is average in width but offers decent depth and height. Instrument separation and layering are adequate, allowing for a reasonably immersive experience. However, it doesn’t excel in spatial accuracy compared to higher-end models.

Detail Retrieval​

Detail retrieval is good, especially considering the price. The treble emphasis helps bring out micro details and nuances, though the recessed mids can obscure some details. Overall, it performs well for its category.

Technicalities​

Technically, the Tanchjim 4U is solid. It offers good detail retrieval and an engaging soundstage. However, it lacks the refinement and balance of higher-end IEMs. The bass modes provide versatility, but they can’t entirely overcome the inherent limitations of a V-shaped tuning.

Conclusion​

The Tanchjim 4U is a versatile and engaging IEM with a unique feature set that allows for customizable bass tuning. While it excels in detail retrieval and offers a comfortable fit, its mildly V-shaped tuning may not appeal to everyone. The recessed mids and slightly harsh treble can detract from the overall balance. However, for its price, the Tanchjim 4U offers an extremely good value and an enjoyable listening experience, particularly in the Atmosphere mode.

5 Likes

The problem I had with Analog Volume control is the slight imbalance

That problem exists with most of iBasso’s recent releases that have stepped attenuator like DC Elite, D16, PB5 etc. but I got used to it. It’s not a bother anymore