đŸ”¶ TANCHJIM Oxygen

I can handle the timeless. Which is even worse. So maybe upper treble is playing a part there. A DD more relaxed than both of those sounds heavenly to me. :slight_smile:

so, what we are saying is this is misleading?

https://hbb.squig.link/?share=Bad_Guy_Target,7Hz_Planar,Tanchjim_Oxygen

@drftr You might want to pay attention to this. FYI.

1 Like

Different drivers so its hard to A/B compare them like that.

That means it’s partly the planar note precision/intensity that is responsible for its shouty compared to the Zen?

Timeless is definitely worse for me. (Again, I adapted, but the hp-2 sounds positively relaxing when I switch to it).

Three way with your graphs:

By the way, what are you using to do this?

Timeless has way more upper-treble (10k+). Thats going to affect things as well.

REW (software) + IEC711 (coupler) + soundcard (mic input) + dac/amp (iem output)

1 Like

I’m not really in favour of anything that has a +10 dB gain in the 1-5 kHz region. That’s a lot for me as compared to 1 kHz and sub- plus mid-bass. I’d much rather have about about +6 dB or so in that region with a slow drop after that, and +3/+5 dB in the sub-bas.

drftr

You may want to try some OHM adapters. I find that all the single DD IEMs I own sound better on a 220 OHM adapter. They are also dirt cheap on Amazon, under 10 bucks most of the time. I even made a balanced resister adapter for the Zen so I can use them well with the Dethonray Honey.

I think it’s probably the combination of planar speed and the fact that they can handle a LOT of power from your amp. That means they’re very fast, dynamic, and unclipped, which could lead to too much of an impact of vocals.

drftr

1 Like

That’s my point. Oxygen has that lower bass on these graphs vs the ones we have been looking at. And less shouty. And there are two people above saying the oxygen solves that stuff over the Zen.

Oxygen just went back to the top of the list for me to try.

Graphs dont tell the entire story.

This is definitely true with the Oxygen.

Graphs almost the same as the Moondrop DDÂŽs, but sounds different (and massively better).

Sorry, I meant to reply to Dynamic about the adapters.

1 Like

Adapters can definitely afffect BA iems. Not sure if they are supposed to have changes on single DDs

I hear a big change with the Zen and O2. They get a bass boost, the upper FR is lowered and normally the soundstage widens. This happens with the Honey and I tried it with the Soloist x3, and Liquid Gold X. But you need more power from your amp though.

1 Like

Lowering upper-treble with the Zen is the last thing I wanna do lol.

1 Like

I didn’t have the Zen’s measured with an adapter, so I am just going by ear. But they sound much better to me overall on the Honey and don’t require any eq with the use of adapters. The thing is that the O2 also gets much better too.

1 Like

Definitely. But what I haven’t heard in over ears are headphones that graph very similarly. They have all been different enough that the FR response alone could explain the differences.

Starting with the Zen/Euclid (which graph fairly similarly up through to the upper mids), I found the differences to primarily be driver based advantages/disadvantages. The things I was hearing on the euclid, a bit more relaxed, and a bit more extended were apparent on the graphs.

Outside of the presentation differences of planar vs dd, I haven’t heard two things graph similarly where one could be too much for me and the other is not. That would be new info. I highly prefer Zen’s DD presentation to Euclid’s planar. But from an FR view point, I was a bit happier with Euclid.

The zen had more “Zenness” on the micro signature when I had it. But only really when played at abnormally loud volumes. Much less difference when playing casually (in this case, against Qudelix).

The Zen is also one of the few where a bit of EQ doesn’t piss me off. as long as I don’t get crazy with it.

I didn’t mean that the Zen normally need more power but they do you if you use a 220 ohm adapter. The Zen’s impedance is super low and almost too low. You need really clean sources for it.

1 Like

That’s why I qudelix. Very few amps leave it hiss free. idsd micro signature was the only other portable one that did it for me. (and it isn’t really portable. hence qudelix).

I do have IEMatch. I just don’t like using it. I do not have one of the bass boosting adapters. I have thought about trying them though. The zen should still be fine on Qudelix even with one.

Might be better than EQ for me. Do you have an Amazon Link?

1 Like
1 Like

Ah, I ordered then immediately cancelled. I use balanced sources only currently.

Can’t use a 3.5. And that reminds me of why I never found one.

Aware of any 2.5mm balanced versions?

max 100 ohm though