TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

They declared a considerably smaller value, less than half of the original price.
I have only ever heard the 5200, and it was similar in some aspects, but it was too long ago, you’ll have to ask the others :smiley:

1 Like

I would ask mark Lawton if the 5209 and 7200 are even compatible. I think they are still the same driver and all, but they may have changed the frame in such a way that the chambers might not fit.

Also, welcome to the HiFi guides forum.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I had the Denon D7200 recently still in possession.
I sold it because I could no longer do anything with him.
Mainly after I modded the Denon D2000 and Fostex Tr x00 are simply better in comparison.

At the Denon D7200 I liked the processing very much and the pads.Overall very well done.
In the sound, the mids and highs were also very good.
Only with bass I did not come so right.
Either he bleeds constantly in the mids pure, or then when the punch is required meehh.
That is simply better with the old driver generation, since nothing bleeds purely, the bass bangs. and is vorallem more authentic.
And if you have both in front of you, you’ll notice that over time.
It just bothered me in the end.

Therefore, I would rather reach for the Emu Teak than the Denon D7200.
The tuning is simply better there.
And I think that’s exactly the problem with the Denon D7200 it’s not bad but it simply lacks what made the pre-series.
Even an old Denon D2000 is much more pleasant to listen to.

I know it’s a bit of a wait with Emu but it’s worth it.

1 Like

The problem is that if e-mus declare too much value - the headphones will be costing aroung 700-800$ - the fedex in my country is the worst express courier with corruption schemes with customs post - if they ever see high value on product they will do anything to make it even higher, its doesnt matter if I can show them proofs of purchase.

I already got x00 purpleheart and d2000, and was looking for something to replace d2000, but I guess I just should try to restore them. I did some cups from Beech (Fagus) tree myself in the past for them, and also some modding with dampening and removable cables, but the problem is that headband is flaking so much, and I can’t really work with leather to sew a new one, and it will be hard to replace because of old screws - they are licked (not sure this is the right word, english isn’t my native language) - basically its almost impossible to unscrew those.

Atleast I know now that 5200 and 7200 aren’t good enough to be blind purchased. I think I’ll wait for e-mu response for another 2 weeks.
Sorry for bad English, thank you all for replies!

1 Like

Wild Ziricote Type 5 Lawton Cup… VERY different

Much less bass overall and what’s there is super tight and extends low. More forward mid range and top end - much more vocal oriented. No sharpness in treble but definitely brighter but not too bright.

So far favourites are Wild Chechen (Type 4) followed by Black Limba (Type 1). Black Limba was much much warmer and fuller sounding. More listening to be done!

TH610_Wild_Ziricote_Lawton_Cups by Hilton, on Flickr

9 Likes

Hi, @Hilton. These posts about your Lawton journey are really great. Thanks for doing them. They might be better positioned and easier for readers to find if you moved them and put future thoughts on our official Lawton mods thread:

Keep up the good work! Cheers!

Ok Will do after this post. The rest of my thoughts will go into the Lawton thread.

TH610 swapped over to Flame Marble Walnut Lawton Cups…

Ahhh thats better - a bit of warmth has come back as well as punch and depth to the bass. Very nice.

TH610_Flame_Marble_Walnut_Lawton_Cups by Hilton, on Flickr

5 Likes

How many cups do you have?

He bought 4 sets. Just scroll up. They’re beautiful.

I imagine we may need to give @Hilton an honorary “Zeos hype-up” award.

All kidding aside - that is the beauty of this forum community. Everyone on the forums, not just this thread, shares a common passion for HiFi audio gear and the music we listen to with it, and that energy and enthusiasm is quite “catchy”.

9 Likes

More thoughts over in the Lawton thread.

Congrats - Im sure you’ll have a lot of fun and really enjoy the different sound.

1 Like

This… among many other reviews of various other headphones is how I came to audition the TH610 against the many competitors I mentioned above before auditioning the short list in person and then settling on the TH610. + the Lawton Cups…

2 Likes

Wife bought me Omega Headphone Stand for Birthday! Very Nice!
New Stand by Hilton, on Flickr

5 Likes

Just to make sure, the EMU Teak uses dual 2.5mm connectors for cable entry, not 3.5 right? Or have they changed it? Thanks mate.

ive only heard of them having 2.5mm, but maybe I missed something

The EMU-Teak (proper) uses dual 2.5mm but the slimmer barrels/collar so that they will plug fully into the cups. Not sure about the “Drop” variant. Looking for the email convo I had with EMU - I was contemplating this headset and asked them ques. (Don’t quote me until I can verify - I have a tendency transpose things)

It might be 2.5mm, I’m not positive. My point was that drop only sells the attached cable version because their have been problems in the past of the connectors rattling.

1 Like

Thanks guys for all your input. I believe the EMU is dual 2.5, just wanna confirm. I was unsure because apparently the Denon headphones (5200, 7200, 9200) use dual 3.5, and since they are both made by Fostex OEM, I thought maybe they might use the same connectors.

Damn can’t differentiate these just from the looks lol.

Hello,
Here is a definitiv answer,:wink:.Denon have 3,5 mm i know this because i have made a cable myself for him.
For cable buy or do it your self you need only other connectors for the Teak.
Is not a Problem the princip is the same.
I find connector better so you can use the same cable and must not need a other one.

2 Likes