TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

Congrats - Im sure you’ll have a lot of fun and really enjoy the different sound.

1 Like

This… among many other reviews of various other headphones is how I came to audition the TH610 against the many competitors I mentioned above before auditioning the short list in person and then settling on the TH610. + the Lawton Cups…

2 Likes

Wife bought me Omega Headphone Stand for Birthday! Very Nice!
New Stand by Hilton, on Flickr

5 Likes

Just to make sure, the EMU Teak uses dual 2.5mm connectors for cable entry, not 3.5 right? Or have they changed it? Thanks mate.

ive only heard of them having 2.5mm, but maybe I missed something

The EMU-Teak (proper) uses dual 2.5mm but the slimmer barrels/collar so that they will plug fully into the cups. Not sure about the “Drop” variant. Looking for the email convo I had with EMU - I was contemplating this headset and asked them ques. (Don’t quote me until I can verify - I have a tendency transpose things)

It might be 2.5mm, I’m not positive. My point was that drop only sells the attached cable version because their have been problems in the past of the connectors rattling.

1 Like

Thanks guys for all your input. I believe the EMU is dual 2.5, just wanna confirm. I was unsure because apparently the Denon headphones (5200, 7200, 9200) use dual 3.5, and since they are both made by Fostex OEM, I thought maybe they might use the same connectors.

Damn can’t differentiate these just from the looks lol.

Hello,
Here is a definitiv answer,:wink:.Denon have 3,5 mm i know this because i have made a cable myself for him.
For cable buy or do it your self you need only other connectors for the Teak.
Is not a Problem the princip is the same.
I find connector better so you can use the same cable and must not need a other one.

2 Likes

I found the email from EMU support - not that we’ve not already determined it.
Also, this of for the TEAK directly from EMU - As if you were to order currently from them.

“What size is the connector for the detachable headphone where it plugs into the ear cup?”

Answer: The size is 2.5mm.

Thank you.

Best Regards
E-MU Customer Support Team

2 Likes

Late to the party but here’s a picture of the stock EMU cable connectors.

One problem is that other 2.5mm cables don’t fit perfectly with the EMU, I’m guessing it has something to do with the extra ring.

Here’s a picture of the connector up close with an aftermarket cable. Audio still works, it’s just got some play, and the connection isn’t snug.

As you can see, the left cup connection is protruding a bit. It can jiggle in and out a bit. I don’t have that many spare cables to test with, but not all 2.5mm cables feel the same with the EMU. The cable from my sivga Phoenix fits the EMU worse than the aftermarket one.

1 Like
2 Likes

Best of All Worlds!!!

This is sublime…

Best of Dire Straights & Mark Knopfler 2005 180gm Vinyl Pressing > Technics SL-1210MK5 w/ Ortofon Super OM40 Stylus > Tube Box DS Phono Preamp > Audient iD14 Burr Brown PCM4202 A/D 24/96 USB ASIO capture to PC > USB ASIO to RME ADI-2 DAC @ 24/96 > Fostex TH610 w/ Lawton Black Limba Chambers… ahhhhhhhhh absolute Blisssssssss
Without any hint of sibilance and just sweet golden top end and firm punchy bottom end!!
This is the way Vinyl is meant to be heard!

Lets be friends for ever… :wink:
Best_of_All_Worlds by Hilton, on Flickr

Technics SL1210MK5

Ortofon Super OM40 Stylus
20210107_204911 by Hilton, on Flickr

Tube Box DS

Audient iD14

The RME ADI-2 DAC & Friends…

And last but not least… Fostex TH610 Lawton Black Limba Chambers

4 Likes

It look so good,have fun and enjoy :grin:.

1 Like

Impressive set up. So I guess you’ve settled on the black limba then? What are you gonna do with the other three sets?

1 Like

I’m keeping them for now. I’ll swap back and forth every now and then. :wink:
(I’ve gotten quite good at swapping them out in less than 4 mins)

Oh and yes Black Limba are fav at the moment, especially with rock.

1 Like

@A_COC0NUT sorry if you’ve already answered, still skimming this thread, are these the pads you ended up with on the DT770’s 250 ohm, would love to pad swap if they make them better

No. I use the dekoni X00 sheepskin pads. You have to email dekoni and ask for them since they are a “drop exclusive”.

Nevermind. It looks like they sell them normally now.
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-elite-sheepskin-ear-pads-for-fostex-th-x00/

2 Likes

Perfect thanks for the link

1 Like

Okay, just wanted to post the update

1. Fck emu for ignoring emails for 1.5 months, really wanted to get teaks, and ebony cups for fostex but w/e.
  2. I restored Denons D2k (wood cups) with sheepskin headband and pads.
  3. I recently bought used Fostex th900 - not that impressed with them tbh, don’t like the tuning, but in terms for technicalities its the best biodyna I’ve ever heard.

Overall, I still like Fostex purpleheart the most, want to try them with ebony cups - but seems it won’t happen.