TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

Congrats to Hilton and everyone else enjoying their Lawton cups. Hilton, some really spectacular cups you have there. I’m excited to see so many of you have been enjoying your headphones and mods.

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything in this thread, but just thought I’d say hey and share in the Lawton love.

Thank you all for sharing your photos and impressions with all the rest of us. It’s awesome to see.

9 Likes

@Droccord me too! They work great and really improve comfort:

6 Likes

@WaveTheory @ValentineLuke Awesome does anyone feel like it creates a hotspot or anything?

1 Like

I have not noticed that, no. It molds around my head pretty evenly over its length. I’ve even put a second one on my LCD-2’s headband and it works pretty well there too.

2 Likes

What do you think of the co-pilot pad?

What’s the best base model to explore the Lawton mods?

It was fine for the wider ZMF leather strap, but I prefer the greater padding on the Pilot Pad. It really is comfortable. Mine is Lambskin (very supple), but I’m sure the ‘suede’ would be nice as well.

I would say either an X00 if you can find one or an E-MU Teak. I think the dennons have extra stuff in them (like the connectors and tuning materials) and the TH-610 are kind of pricey.

@Hilton if by chance you decide to sell any of those cups, do let me know :slight_smile:

I just received an e-mail that my Emu Teak arrives tomorrow. I hope it lives up to the hype, 'cuz I’m definitely hyped! :smiley:

4 Likes

@Hallibart_Aery How long did it take? I sent E-MU and email asking and they told be approximately 7 days from receipt of payment (customs holds sometime adding a couple days), for a customer like myself in the US.

I believe they make the cups on order and the drying process of the several glossy protective layers they apply is what takes 7 days, only then can they dispatch it. The shipping itself was quick in my case every time I ordered something from them, less than a week, actually.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this varies from customs office to customs office.
Depending on where you live and laziness of customs it goes faster or slower.
And especially how large the metropolitan area is.
If you live in Washington or LA it can take longer.
And the U.S. is currently not lenient in terms of customs duty.
Conversely, it is similar, if I order something from the U.S. it is sometimes up to 1 1/2 weeks there until it leaves the country.

I have once waited for the Lawton pads and damping kit 6 weeks.
And with Corona it is also so ne thing.
Sometimes packages shipped nationally take longer than when I order from abroad until you get to mkr.
Sometimes it is the other way around.
Time Corona everything is even weirder and stranger from the point of view of a package :see_no_evil:

@Hallibart_Aery happy listing with the Emu Teak,give him 100 playtime before you judge him :wink:

2 Likes

Edit: forgot to mention I used Mick Gordon’s
Rip & tear from the Doom 2016 ost as my test song. I find it does a great job of overwhelming a headphone if it’s not up to it and I know the track like the back of my hand.

I just did the comparisons between the Ori hybrid pads, dekoni X00 sheepskin pads, stock pads, and Lawton pads. I used my Ovaltine attenuation rings with all three non-stock pads.

TL:DR I emplor you to try some other pads. While the stock pads where not bad, none of what you stated was my experience with the larger ear hole pads, especially the Ori.

I said in my previous response to you that the dekoni pads were congested and just not great, and I stand by that for the most part. They are not as bad as I remember, but they are coming in last place out of these 4. Definitely congested and even a tad blunted/muffled. Otherwise they sounded similar to stock pads. Overall last place (thankfully I really like these pads on my DT770 250 ohm).

Speaking of stock pads, they did better than the dekonis, but are still not the best imo. They are definitely more intimate and have much less depth to the soundstage. I actually found these pads to be a bit lacking in sub-bass but they are a bit warmer. My biggest issue was the treble felt like it was kind of harsh. Not bright or sibilant, just kind of less smooth than all the other pads (possibly due to the pleather?). Overall third place.

Next us the Lawton pads. These have the largest ear holes (nearly completely round) and are definitely the most bass-light. The treble is just a touch brighter than the other three, but only a touch and it’s smoother than the stock pads as well. The bass is much less bug and impactful sounding, but it still extends really deep. These are basically the most “neutral” kind of sound. Overall second place, but only by a bit.

Lastly the Ori hybrid pads. These are my favorites since they win in comfort and sound. They have very smooth high that are still detailed and revealing. The mids are only a touch less warm than stock, but the bass is bigger, cleaner, and MUCH better extended. These have been my winners even before the Lawton mod. First place by far.

Please don’t be afraid to try other pads. They can really make the Lawton modded 1 tesla drivers sound phenominal.

Also @WaveTheory I noticed ZMF offers the Ori pads in cowhide which is suppose to be a bit darker than lambskin. I want to try them and eikon pads but I really don’t need to spend the money right now. Maybe this spring.

4 Likes

Thanks @A_COC0NUT . I may at some point give some pads a try. I have a fair bit to keep me busy for now! :wink: Also not sure if you realise but the TH610 standard pad ear hole is larger than the THX00 but much smaller than the TH900MkII. My ears fit with some room to spare clearance to the front of the driver frame and from the pads edges. From photos, TH610 stock Pads looks more similar to the ZMF/Amazon Pads that @PapaEmeritus likes.

3 Likes

Great. Now I need to get a set of TH-610 pads as well as cowhide Ori and lambskin eikon pads.

Edit: Oof. I just looked up the price of the TH-610 replacement pads and they are $90. I love fostex headphones but God damn they are bastards when it comes to pricing this kind of shit. Like the $300-400 balanced cable they sell. How can they think that’s ok?

2 Likes

They are high end Phones… to be expected. Some of you have just been spoiled by the Drop editions pricing… I paid $699AU for my TH610 and they are worth every penny. I auditioned the TH610 against Sony ZR1 & Z7m2 , Focal Stellia & Elegia, LCD2-Closed, Fostex 900MKII and Senn HD820s using iBasso DX220 Balanced 4.4 AMP8, AMP9 nutube, AMP1MKII and Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP.

I loved the Stellia’s the most at the time but no way could justify $4500AU for a pair of headphones.
Now with the Lawton chambers, I’d probably rate these above the Stellia’s now the Sibilance has been addressed and the bottom end is fatter. The Stellia’s were a little more hollowed out to me but really really nice and going from memory the only thing that put the TH610 below them was the imaging a little and the occassional sharpness at 5-7k on the TH610 - which is now fixed with the Chechen Chambers. :slight_smile:

Here’s my original thoughts from a mini review and a Harman Curve overlay of the Stock TH610 against Stellia. Dark Yellow is Stellia, light yellow is TH610 stock.

Imgur

About a year ago I listened to the Stellia when deciding on what headphones to buy and ended up going with the TH610 as I couldnt justify the cost difference.
They are different, but out of Elegia, Sen 820S, LCD2, Sony 7Zm2, ZR1 and 900Mk2 the TH610 had the most neutral sound while still extending down low with punch and not sounding hollow or boring like some of the others. Here’s my thoughts below from when i did a mini review.

TH610 headphones embarrassed many so called high-end closed-back phones.

Tried the Sony Z7m2 and Z1R but they were both a real let down - The 7Zm2 no matter which AMP i used just sound hollow and way too laid back in midrange, Z1R was fuller and warmer but just too bloated in midbass.

Focal Elegia - wow how bright do you like your mix… they have a clearly elevated top end that doesnt bite as such and it’s a bit tamer on AMP9 but with AMP1m2 and AMP8 they’d become fatiguing pretty quickly.

LCD 2 Closed actually sound quite good, but they are very bulky, heavy and ultimately the top end wasnt as smooth as I was expecting with a sibilant S on male and female vocals.

Fostex 900mk2 - wow that’s a lot of bottom end (way too much) and I was surprised how sibilant they were too - TH610 is much closer to neutral with a better top-end.

Senn HD820’s - yes they have that Sennheiser sound, wide wide imaging, luscious midrange, nicely present and airy treble, present low-end, nothing competes with the combined imaging and midrange and bottom end balance but are they worth $2400??. The bottom end was also a bit lacking compared to TH610.

The Stellia… How many unicorns, dolphins and dragons did they slay to create the ingredients for these?? Again I say OMFG!!! These are the real deal, end-game closed backs for sure, no doubt about it… and their price surely shows it, @ $4500 AU that’s even a bit rich for me. Having said that they do have a very slight bit of midbass bloat but the rest of the frequency range was very nice, full, present and accounted for with out any drawbacks except maybe being a bit dry at times compared to the TH610. The TH610 should’t be competing with any of the above mentioned headphones based on the TH610 price, but they most certainly do and have a sound I love apart from the occasional bite from brightly recorded mixes. I find the TH610 to be lush, warm, punchy, full and forward without being too pushy and a little bit of shimmer up top where it counts. Certain songs come on and I just have to crank the volume… i just cant help it they are such fun! Would I swap the TH610 for Stellia??? NO WAY. Would I like a pair of Stellia YES.

Stellia is the darker orange trace and TH610 the lighter trace. Similarish bottom end and midrange upto lower treble range but above that is where they differ the most.
Stellia was punchier and slightly into lower mids unfortunately. If the Stellia punch was 20 to 40hz lower they would have been absolutely killer. As it is the TH610 sound full, punchy and more natural… This tester actually said both headphones correlated to 69% of the Harman Curve and I’d 100% agree with the measurements based on my listening comparison.

3 Likes

I’ve continued my pad rolling. I’ve tried everything and I’ve ultimately come full circle. The stock pads or the Accessory House replacements are my preferred pads. They aren’t as comfortable as the complete over-ear pads but they just sound the best.

100% Stay with the stock pads if the comfort works for you.

Here’s a pic of the pads I suggest after years of experimentation.
pads

1 Like

Hi Everyone! These are big arent they!

Screenshot 2020-12-16 14-31-45 by Hilton, on Flickr

Screenshot 2020-12-16 14-31-53 by Hilton, on Flickr

Screenshot 2020-12-16 14-32-54 by Hilton, on Flickr

Listening/working workspace…
20201216_144236 by Hilton, on Flickr

10 Likes

If we’re sharing photos, I’ll share a classic…

6 Likes