The DEALS thread

I was waiting to see if they would lower it anymore, still don’t think I’m going to buy though.

someone else I mentioned it to said he will see if they lower it down eventually to 50 bucks lol

2 Likes

Elegia not that good? Haven’t really followed discussions on Focal headphones.

Their now-likely-former-intern probably put in an extra 0 when they ordered their stock from Focal :laughing:

3 Likes

they are very good. high tier headphone for sure. but just like the hawks they are being greatly discontinued to empty inventory as fast as possible and get their money lol. Hawks were also 700 but dropped to 250 and are the lovechild of this forum

2 Likes

What are these Hawks you speak of? Got a link?

3 Likes

Audioquest NightHawk’s and NightHawk Carbon’s… you’ll have to look on the used market for a pair now

3 Likes

like don mentioned they are only found on the used market, because they are incredibly sought after. only after they were discontinued they became popular af lol. mostly because a gang was created in name of the nighthawks (in this forum lol). they were sold for 250 to 200 but recently buying em used they are often found at 300

1 Like

Snagged the Nighthawk Carbon for $220 earlier today and I barely have the patience to wait for them to come in.

8 Likes

oh shit lol. nice deal on them. look forward to ur impressions. what a coincidence

1 Like

So @SpeleoFool, how many more Elegia’s will you be buying this time around?

4 Likes

Did u get them on ebay?

No, from another user on r/AVexhange.

Lmao. I’m still recovering from Susvaras, so I may have to wait for the $375 sale.

3 Likes

Actually listening to the Susvara probably smooths out that ‘recover’ process a bit, huh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I got in during the first $426(?) sale. I kind of wish that I put that money into other gear in my chain, like funding my $484 Liquid Platinum that I just purchased, or the speaker amp that I’m looking for my HE-6. After the Elex and the Elegia, I think I can safely say that I do not enjoy Focal’s metallic timbre that’s often associated with their aluminium-magnesium dome drivers (glare in the upper mids/lower treble). My ears find it grating despite EQ tempering it quite a bit. I guess I do not like upper-mid forward headphones like typical Grados.

Then again, my daily drivers are the HD800S and the Arya, both considered somewhat on the brighter side of neutral by some.

2 Likes

They’ve made it challenging to enjoy anything else, lol. I’ve only just managed to start spending time with some Beyers again. Kinda defeats the point of having a nice headphone collection if I only listen to one of them. Flipside, by the time I get back to them they’ll be oh so sublime all over again.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I can’t say I know exactly what you mean because I never really fully understood people on the metallic timbre thing with focal. I too have owned both the elegia and elex and never really understood what people meant with that

Me either. I have both the Elex and Elegia too and I don’t hear them as metallic. If you watch the Headphones Show, they had one recently where they figured out if you just lower 10K in an EQ that fixes the sound people are hearing. I also, have the Arya, Aeon Open, Fostex X00-open back modded, and the DT 880 600 ohms.

I own the Elegia and used to own the Clears. That metallic sheen exists, and it is actually a 6 KHz peak. But I never experienced that with the Elegia, only the Clears and only when listening to metal or alternative music. Id also add that if you have low quality files or poorly recorded music, that also can make that metallic sheen worse.

2 Likes