The DEALS thread

I can detect a hint of metallic sound on the Elegia, prob in that 6khz range. Beyers have it too. It may be an inherent problem of very detailed dynamic headphones? And yes, it is very recording dependent.

3 Likes

I think its just from comparing other headphones people have had. Hearing the Eikons,Nighthawks,6xx, they have way more natural timbre than the Elegia. If I hadn’t heard the Eikons and hawks before, i would have no idea what people are talking about, metallic sounding. haha. Especially coming from k712, edition xx, hexv2, sundaras. I would say they all have less timbre than the eikon,hawks, and 6xx. Now the Clears are interesting, they don’t have crazy natural timbre, but it’s close, i would say vocal timbre is top notch. They have great clarity to details, like the dt880(600) does. Both need the right amps though, which can play to peoples impressions on timbre, also what genre you are listening too. If I want EDM, im not gonna go looking for timbre. The Elegia arent amp picky, but they do take well to amps. Hip dac and asgard3 make it not so metallicy as the 800i and Erish does. Ime.

3 Likes

Gotcha intersting. Well it is true that the hawks have better timbre than the elegías. Altho that dosent really make it sound metallic to my ears lol. But fair enough. Obviously ur not the only person saying that focal have a metallic timbre so there’s enough people to say that the timbre must be slightly different. I’ve also owned the hawks, 58x and I’m a timbre whore haha but I found the elegías to have a good enough timbre!

1 Like

The Elegia’s timbre improves over time too. I think that’s mostly mental burn-in. The longer I listen to them in any given sitting, the more they start to sound natural. For me the combo of my brain filling in the “timbre gaps” and the Elegia’s detail makes for quite an engaging experience.

1 Like

I have to say I’m in the exact same camp. I returned mine. Metallic with zero bass. Pretty horrid sounding. I can only assume they would not seal. Even tried dekoni sheepskins and it actually made the metallic sheen worse but did bring the bass up a bit. I could hear the capability of the driver though in terms of detail and dynamics.

Picked up the aeon 2 closed when they were on sale shortly after the return and found it pretty brilliant.

2 Likes

DT880 600Ohm B-Stock from Beyerdynamic germany for the european people. I guess this price is a deal and belongs in here. Bought mine there aswell.
They have 4 availiable.

2 Likes

Modded Gilmore Lite mk2 for $300. Good deal assuming the guy didn’t screw something up with the mod.

2 Likes

Abyss Diana V1 w/ V2 pads $2600 CAD. Same dealer but priced a little cheaper on CAM for some reason.

Porta Pros 50% off https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Pro-Black-Headphones/dp/B0755N6CSR/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_0/141-1468038-8065327?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0755N6CSR&pd_rd_r=a57c6119-5e7f-4691-a317-f5a875f603bf&pd_rd_w=sAGNC&pd_rd_wg=XEUrl&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=A5MW491WND9TDFGW55ET&psc=1&refRID=A5MW491WND9TDFGW55ET

1 Like

2019 Andromeda - $899
2019 Solaris (the gold one) - $1299

Prices are for new, A-Stock. There seem to be B stock of these and other models at lower prices. Just got email about this sale within the last hour.

EDIT: since it wasn’t apparent from my screen grab–this is at ALO Warehouse. ALO = Audio Line Out = Campfire Audio, so this is basically clearing out old stock since both of these models got a 2020 refresh.

3 Likes

I can’t remember if this thread is more of a “catch all” or is just for headphone deals, so apologies if this is in the wrong place but…

This is the best price I’ve seen for these Jamo’s in white:

https://www.adorama.com/ja1066719.html?utm_campaign=21320430_200826-Summer-Clearance_SL3B-BAI-Home-Recent&rec4c_uuid=c7cdf69b-fc28-479b-a8a1-126c370b75d4&utm_term=4CiteBuyersRecs4&utm_content=Body&emailprice=t&utm_source=slth&utm_medium=email&sv_semi=13CBAF41-0383-47A5-832D-61BA15E0C36D&sv_sveme=2a77da736b6cce123c3f9a7c88e2902a&guid=13CBAF41-0383-47A5-832D-61BA15E0C36D&utm_source=slth

4 Likes

Focal Elegia back up for $400, not sure if this ongoing or the usual 2/3 day sale thing.

https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.html?sdtid=14272823&emailprice=t&sterm=ReHx0NXDexyOTl2wUx0Mo36BUkiQeLyBQ1%3Ab0E0&utm_source=rflaid62905

2 Likes

dammit, I really wish I had the money to buy the Elegia!

1 Like

damnit i did not need to see this, i was gonna pull the trigger tomorrow on a DT1990, hmmmm

I had the same dilemma last week too but decided on the Elegias cause I wanted to try a different ‘signature’ sound

1 Like

would be my first focal, plus that deal isn’t always there, damnit…

Same here, getting mine tomorrow on that same deal. I also want to try Sennheisers.

2 Likes

Ended up copping a pair, will be my first pair of speakers :eyes:

3 Likes

Lz A6 iems on sale. I got my pair last week and I understand why they are really well received. Some of the best treble with certain filters and can absolutely bump with bass on others.

https://penonaudio.com/lz-a6.html

2 Likes

They’re ~$190 on aliexpress via the brand sale