The DEALS thread

To whoever made a purchase: thank you =3

hmm? who bought what from where to get your thanks?

1 Like

Somebody purchased the Topping A90 from Apos Audio using my affiliate link. A very deserved thanks, especially considering I never do affiliate stuff…

1 Like

gotcha!!! was it enough to buy a new thingy to tell us about? :smiley:

1 Like

Oh hell no lol
25 bucks tho :wink:

1 Like

Geez, that is a great price. Unfortunately, I already blew my budget.

1 Like

The Meze 99 Classic’s are going for $299.00 in Canada. They are regularly $399.00. I bought a set for the wife. I sold my set a few years ago, but I Really liked them.

2 Likes

Yeah… I am tempted, I have a setup running balanced cables and was considering swapping out my Monolith THX AAA amp for the Liquid Platinum…

Just not sure if I need that upgrade as I have a Burson Soloist already… How does the Liquid Platinum compare to these two amps? I have never had a hybrid tube amp… Wondering if I should instead hold out and go for a full on tube amp later instead?

Yeah I have the 99 noir from drop which is supposed to be identical to the classic except some finishes slightly cheaper I think, I liked it alot, dont get as much use of it as I used to - my wife also likes it as well.

1 Like

The LP is very nice, but does have high gain. Not great for IEM’s or very efficient headphones. I loved it with Focals and HiFiman’s.

2 Likes

Between the 3 amps mentioned, I believe the Soloist is going to be the best one. I have a THX amp in the form of the SMSL SH-9, and I have a hybrid tube in the XDuoo TA-20. I have not heard the Soloist but from what I have read It would appear that it is the best performing amp of the three.

Having said that, I enjoy the SH-9 very much. It is ultra clean and extremely powerful, driving all my cans with absolute ease. And yet, it doesn’t seem to suffer from that high end fatigue and boring-ish presentation that many THX amps produce. The TA-20 makes me smile every time I use it because it sounds way better than you think it should! It has a hint of that “tubey-ness” that one might hope for, but in a more subtle way. At the same time, the JFET final power stage is strong, clean and pretty well controlled. The sum of this is a really enjoyable listening experience. I use the TA-20 mostly as a preamp now to feed my DA-9 speaker amp, and it does a great job there, adding a warm, organic texture to the sound signature. Changing out the stock tubes for a matched set of PS Vain 12AU7’s really upped its game there.

The question of whether or not to go for a pure tube amp is really up to you. Sometimes I think I would like to have a full-on tube amp in my system here and may go down that road in the future. But I sure have enjoyed this hybrid. I hear that the LP is a definite upgrade from the TA-20, so if I didn’t already have mine, I would be jumping on that Liquid Platinum for the price currently being offered. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Not sure if it has already been noted, but the Focal Elex’s are on Drop today for $549.00. That is the lowest price you will ever see on these going forward.
They are an awesome headphone! I am currently comparing them to my new Clear’s and they are Very close.

IMO, the best headphone Drop ever sold. And a great entry point to the Focal magic.

2 Likes

I doubt it would replace the versatility of the Serial, and then I’d have another IEM to sell on, otherwise I’ve always been interested in the Isabellae and this is a great price for one:

The Caspian headphones have FINALLY gone on sale. And I really can’t touch them right now. But for those that can…

1 Like

ETA headphones, the Mini Closed and the Mini Semi-Closed are on sale for the rest of the year, including extra discounts on B-stock:

These are great headphones and well worth the price, handmade in the USA.

2 Likes

I have been curious about those for the last year or two. I never think of them until I make the odd visit to SBAF every month or two. :grin:

Please report back on what you think of them and what you would compare them to.

So I’ve had the Mini Closed for a while, and it’s superb. I described it once as like the Focal Celestee but half the weight and half the price. I think it does actually have a bigger soundstage than the Celestee, but it still has a relatively small soundstage. But it has a lot of punch like a Focal and crazy clarity. I’d describe the sound signature as neutral bright. I’d also compare it to something like the DT-1990, but closed and (imo) better.

I ordered the Mini Semi-Closed with the sale. I’ll report back what it’s like once I get it and have used it for a while.

1 Like

Discounts on A-Stock RAD-0

Still expensive AF, but not a bad deal if you’re looking for a high-end planar.

2 Likes

The HiFiMan HE6se V2 have been lowered on Adorama yet again, this time to $399.00.

https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?sdtid=16274233&emailprice=t

5 Likes

:hushed: :open_mouth: :astonished: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking: :exploding_head: