The Prestigious JDS Labs Atom

You had the ps3 connected to the atom with the AV cables, I’m assuming?

Yup…

I’ll look at that… in 10 hours or so. Wiring etc.
Everything is unplugged for now.

I’m sorry that happened to you, that’s crazy =(
I am curious to know what happened. Was it an older fat model ps3?

That’s the PS3 slim (but not the “last” one with the cheap manual plastic CD “tray”). Maybe there’s bent pins in their weird AV connector? I’ll look at that too…

I believe the Atom will be okay after, well, 10 hours of “discharge”. I don’t know what happened to my good old AVR, though. We’ll see. I just moved some things, maybe something is semi-disconnected.

1 Like

Hope the Atom recovers at least.

Well… everything works today… except the right channel of the Atom. :confused:
I grilled the “right” part of the amp, apparently. RCA in or 3.5mm in does the same thing. Different wires, different sources, different headphones, whatever.

Cranking up the volume with my HD58Xs, with only the “right” RCA plugged in, I can barely hear the music, until I hear crackling noise at nearly max volume at high gain (on HD58Xs, which probably means: “don’t do that, the Atom is sending one fucking watt of silence to the headphones and you’ll blow them up”.)

So yeah, my Atom is dead. I’ll use the metal knob as a ground and hope the next electric shock fixes it, maybe? Lol.

:frowning: That just plain sucks. Out of curiosity, have you reached out to JDS to see if they’ll do anything for you? At any rate it sounds like you live in an area with power issues and they’ll likely want to know how to address that problem.

I will contact them, I don’t think it’s ok for an amp to die because of a simple static electricity discharge.

(Hey, maybe that’s the main reason why there’s not much audiophile girls: Long hair + static electricity! Lol.)

1 Like

Man, I’m getting some Infamous (game) vibes. I’m sorry to hear that some of your stuff died on you though.

1 Like

Lol yeah I know this game.

Wrong thread? :stuck_out_tongue:
This won’t plug anywhere in a JDS Labs Atom lol.

I don’t know how much shipping would cost, but it seems like a short based on the jds labs troubleshooting page.

1 Like

Dang Nabbit

1 Like

Well that was fast :slight_smile: I already got a RMA number.

From the e-mail:

Yes, Atom Amp is CE certified to withstand common human body ESD events, so that must have been quite a discharge.

1 Like

That’s good news! Also great to see JDS standing behind their product and customer.

1 Like

My impression is that they’re a really well ru company who puts service first.

ewwwwwwwww (10 characters)

4 Likes

Mr. JDS Labs on the phone, colorized, 2020. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Are we still doing phrasing? I, for one, think we should work it back into the rotation .

@LeDechaine So just don’t become this guy…

2 Likes