Nymzreviews.com official thread

Add planar into that equation :star_struck:

1 Like

No, this actually confirms they are different people!

Crin’s Timmy is JizzAudio, duh.

/s

2 Likes

DD has good coherence and timbre, that’s right. But if DD has bad tuning, then is the timbre good? Tuning is also very important! That’s why there are DDs that sound bad and tribrids and hybrids that sound great. :relieved:

5 Likes

Give me tuning over timbre anyday lol. Im right there with you :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Go back to which one? Do you end up preferring the O2?

Would love to hear your thoughts? Especially timbre.

It would be useful to know how you feel about O2 first.

1 Like

Here you go: IEM discussion thread - #2192 by ttorbic.

I will definitely compare Oxygen with the S12. I just hope it comes soon haha

3 Likes

If S12 has bad timbre for acoustic i wouldn’t mind using it only for electronic music that can take advantage of the planar tech.

@nymz any thoughts on this from you would be much appreciated

1 Like

Planars have planar timbre. I love it, but im no timbrehead.
As long as something doesnt have bad timbre, like cheap BAs, and coherent, Im good.

4 Likes

For those on the fence about S12, Shuoer seems to be running a sale on it just again in their facebook page.

They aren’t making our lifes easy, right? :thinking: 129usd bois and grills :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

I’m sorry for whatever else you had in mind for that €500.

Last night and today I’ve been able to compare Oracle, Aladdin, and Dark Magician.

Listening with goosebumps at the moment.

I think the DM is where I can stop.

And for someone who started to care more and more about timbre, I don’t think there’s anything I’m compromising out of anything I look for.

Not my first impressions. High gain was making these sound terrible until I switched over to standard 3.5mm. I also had the tips going too far down the shaft, (they very easily stay at the correct depth, I had pushed for them to go further assuming it was correct). Much better fit and also uncovered a vent in the stem.

Tip rolled to some random no name stubby double flange black silicone, wide bore.

And here I am, an hour overdue for my shower and bedtime so far.

All the acoustics I look for. Rich, rich low end. Untouchable mids. Nothing fuzzy nothing bloomed. No treble harshness. Plenty of detail. Super balanced. Timbre perfect. Great fit, great isolation. Great stage, air, imaging. Built like tanks.

Ears change morning and night. Environment can affect sound. Let’s see how this continues.

I would look for any reason, any at all, to stick with much cheaper earphones. This price tag is reserved for a set that actually ticks every box, if it’s something I aspire to keep. I don’t want room for an itch. A way that another set could touch the same boxes and maybe a couple more. As far as I can think to check for, this is checking all of my boxes.

My bias against keeping it has nothing to hold onto. Whatever I listen for “I bet this will be sibilant “ or “I bet this will be a weak point for it” hadn’t held true once it starts playing.

I was listening through on shuffle and thought I had 5 or 6 songs that were by fluke just suited to it. But the songs keep rolling. We’re taking Tool, Arctic Monkeys, The Beatles, Hans Zimmer, Roots Manuva, UNKLE, Grimes, Young Fathers, Massive Attack, The Offspring, Dead Pirates, Simon and Garfunkel, Led Zeppelin, Alphaville, Aesop Rock, Saint Savior, Gordon Lightfoot, Elliott Smith, Jordi Savall, The Band, Joe Hisaishi, Eels, Blur, Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, Erasure, Cory Wong, The Smiths, Nightwish (a real Achilles hill to most of my favorite sets), The Who, Regina Spektor, Montserrat Figueras, Susumu Hirasawa, Justice, Lyla Foy, The Waterboys… my library can be even more disparate but it’s pretty amazing that it can nail that many different sounds already.

Nothing sounds thin or shrill. Nothing bloated or recessed. To my ears, through these.

I’m trying to dislike them. To find a sacrifice they made for all this excellence.

$450 is more than I ever, ever imagined I’d spend. I pushed the boat out far a couple of years back just buying my first pair of IEMs, the Tin T2. Now that I know how much further it can go than this, I’m just happy I’ve found a place I can get off without having reservations or curiosities.

They sounded messed up through high gain balanced, and no different balanced than single ended in low gain. This euphoria driven writing is all through a lighting dongle on my iPhone 7 Plus (a phone downgrade I made to increase IEM budget slightly). If volume is a measure, they have been easier to “drive” than the Oracle.

Posting typos/autocorrects and all before I accidentally swipe and delete everything. I’ve got to get to bed. My wife will be so puzzled.

12 Likes

After trying 100 nozzles for 07m, finally everything is as it should be, without resonant peaks with good comfort and sweet sound! It’s really a challenge to find the right tips. The ones included in the kit don’t work for me. Everything else is perfect, the cable is very good. Tanya filters will not be bought. :relieved:

6 Likes

Oh boy, here we go…

I’m glad you found your nirvana! Thanks for sharing!

Guess no one is making my life easy :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, that nozzle is so annoying I will re-shell it, eventually.

Glad you enjoying them!

1 Like

Woohoo congratulations!! Sounds like you found your true love (in IEMs lol).

Once you’ve had some more time with them, I would be really interested in seeing a comparison between the Aladdin and the DM, focussing on the single DD vs hybrid hardware and the corresponding sound differences

1 Like

I’m selling stuff in Mint condition to EU/UK countries, as I’ve just used them for quick comparitions, with all the included accessories inside:

• [Planar] 7hz Timeless (SOLD)
  • [Planar] Tin P1 Plus (SOLD)
  • [1DD] TForce Yuan Li (SOLD)

Let me know if any if you wants to bonk them and I will bro deal you :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Can you share some close shots of Dark Magic with it’s stock package and accessories? There’s just not enough photos out there :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If there is a single DD IEM to end them all that I really wish to try, it got to be the Softears Turii. Pretty much every review I came across gushed about how it‘s the best DD those people have ever heard, and given Softears excellent track record with the RSV, RS10 and co, I believe it.

The price is high, so I would not blind buy it. But if I ever hear it and get my mind blown, I might just consider getting it.

6 Likes

By the shape of it, it does seem like they’re trying to compete with Sony Z1R for the “who can be more uncomfy” throne :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Timbre is a weird aspect of sound reproducing gear that is hard to properly appreciate I feel like.

Let’s get something out of the way first: most transducers out there are dynamic drivers. Be it speakers, headphones, TWS, some dirty buds, in your car, your name it. And because we hear DDs the most and almost all the time when sound is reproduced somewhere, from the moment we are born and can hear, we get used to their characteristics and timbre.

With that, we naturally develop a Bias towards them sounding Natural, since we are used to them.

Now other driver types have other characteristics: BAs have a very fast attack and decay, DDs a wide dynamic range, ESTs a crystal clear treble response, Planars being very resolving, and so on.

I don’t like to say that any driver type is superior to another; they are simply different to me.

That‘s also why I do not like Terms like „BA Bass“ for example, since it tries to discredit BAs from the get go by comparing them to DD Bass and how it usually lacks „Rumble“ and „Body“.

I could take it the other way as well: BA Bass got a speed and decay DDs could only dream of. They are more resolving in the micro-details and can layer Bass much better.

I consider them to simply be a different flavor from each other. And I like Variety in my Rotation. :v:

10 Likes

May just be the same as with the Timeless: looks like it would fit horribly, actually fits well :sweat_smile:

3 Likes