Nymzreviews.com official thread

OOF … does that look good :star_struck:

1 Like

I realized that you enjoy darker sets which makes sense now.

1 Like

Does the kinda lava have different packaging? A note? A sticker? Anything? I got a black pair in today that was supposed to be the Kinda Lava tuning - no logo or anything on it though, so I’m trying to figure out if it is :upside_down_face:

Yes, kind of. I’ve came to the conclusion that dark it’s not the best way to describe it but yes.

I’m very peak sensitive. If there’s a huge peak around 4.5-6k im dead. That also applies to pinna gain and 8k if they are too much. If you see some of my fav sets, like rsv, dm, tea2 or olina, they are not treble shy, just well controlled. Also this is counting with bass shelf compensation.

Don’t get me wrong, I love some good sparkles, I even don’t mind treble, but I will get some headaches.

4 Likes

Yes it does. I’ve read your posts. Im guessing they just sent you og EJ07m with a custom tuning, not changing the logo or box. You should contact @shuoer to make sure.

LETSHUOER x HBB EJ07m - Kinda Lava Edition: First Impressions

Disclaimer: All my (first and short) impressions were done using BGVP W01 tips and using Cayin N3 Pro, iFi xDSD Gryphon and Topping NX7 as sources. My unit is a review unit and was sent to me by Shuoer/HBB, but I got no incentives to talk about anything other than my own words.

Disclaimer no. 2: This is just a first pass. It’s meant for people to also be able to gauge my thought process and how I can make such quick impressions. Everything can change up to the final review. I had access to HBB’s graph but no A/B was done yet.

Prologue

As most people know me for, I’m a big EJ enthusiast. EJ07m was one of my first end-game pieces. The day I had a chance to demo it, was the same day I bought it. It was the first tribrid IEM around its price range that impressed me. Holographic presentation, great dynamics and a clean cut tuning just danced along with my library, so I just had to impulse buy it.

Fast forward 2 months later, I was grabbing EJ07 to join its younger brother because curiosity killed the cat and together with Dark Magician and RSV, my final 4 were done. Or at least so I thought.

So, why was there a need for Kinda Lava, in my opinion? Well, there were only three types of people talking about EJ07m: The ones that thought it was perfect; the ones that thought it had too little bass; the ones that thought it had too much bass.

For the last type, the answer was pretty obvious: get EJ07 and leave happy ever after. For the first type it was also very obvious: leave the game while you’re ahead.

Now the only problem resided with those who thought EJ07m was lacking bass. This group also included the most recent collaboration superstar HBB. To him EJ07m lacked some meat in the mid bass to give some energy to drums and guitars. Given that, the collaboration was pretty straight forward with a goal in mind: Touch nothing but the bass on EJ07m, giving it the “glide” bass shelf resembling Elysian Acoustic X - his personal favorite.

But what will that cost to the rest of the tuning? Let’s find out together!

Enough rumbling right? How does it actually sound?

Well, actually, it sounds amazing, even for a midhead like me, given mid-range was my biggest fear. Mids are still present and from memory only, very alike to EJ07m, which are close to my personal perceived neutral. I’m not going to A/B on this take yet, and I’m yet to get another EJ07m loaned early next week and then proceed to do a pt.2 of this take. Will also be an experience to me just to see if my perception changes over time.

Everything is still there, the information is all across the spectrum. But oh boy, aren’t they one of - if not the - the best kickdrums, tomtoms and snares I’ve heard. The cymal around 3:26 made my eyes open and my jaw to gently drop. What is impressive is not the elevation only, but also the cleaness that passes into the mids and not a muddied bloat like some other brands used to do.

You can’t talk mid-bass without touching a real bass guitar and so are we, watching a god at work and KL replaying it effortlessly. The opening slaps have that sweet slam that hit you right in the chest and warns your brain that you’re in for a journey.

Percussion rolls? Shuoer’s imaging at work. Still my favorite imaging across all my IEMs and present on all EJ versions. Combined with good separation and stage you can pin-point everything even on busy parts. But how does Malika sound on this track? Well, female vocals are around the top of the ladder, just like its sibling. Very forward, detailed, without ever going into shouty range. From memory it has more note thickness added, giving me glimpses of my trusted RSV.

Once you reach 2:32, you just sit down, relax and enjoy the music. Superb.

So you’re a basshead in denial, and you prefer bass over basic food? No problem, Lava will treat you good. Dynamics? Extension? Texture? All there.

EJ07m was already known for it’s clean bass slam, which not being as obvious as some well known slammers, it was there and clean. Kinda Lava slam is just a level above that.

Not basshead enough for you? Well, I made a mistake by pressing the XbassII button on my Gryphon while listening to this track. Your chest will thank you while your ears are still hearing clean music.

Meaty but not husky, John’s voice will wrap you around without masking the piano.

The reverb by the end of the song, starting around 3:25 is there, is audible, just not overly emphasized. Sets like Dark Magician will replay this type of reverb better due to the nature of the tuning and pure detail. Other than that, touché.

What about all of it together?

Well, to my memory, EJ07m female vocals are better than the male ones. With Kinda Lava that was corrected and now the male are the ones that are being slightly better replayed. Separation on point.

Early verdict: Winner winner chicken dinner. If a midhead like myself can appreciate this level of bass, while being an unconditional fan of the EJ07m, something was very well done and the goal was well met. My next step will be to do some A/Bing and to evaluate on genres that it might fall short, like classical music.

I’m very happy with this set overall and it’s a keeper in my collection. I’ve always been looking for something with my bass but they usually get me lost around the mids or the treble and so far, Kinda Lava did the opposite. Keeping the 07m ADN on technicals, it’s just the icing on the cake.

I’m also very happy that the price was kept the same, so basically there’s now freedom of choice for customers and a bigger palette of choices to accomodate all tastes.

Tea Cult approved and recommended.

Preliminary rankings: At least S tier.

36 Likes

Thanks for the impressions. Killing my wallet here though, must be strong, got to wait until Serial arrives first. Cable is what? (Doesn’t look like stock).

1 Like

Thanks for your early impressions. Looks like very positive :+1:

This cost around the same price as the new Senn ie600 right?

1 Like

Oh right. Cable is a custom 4.4mm made by xinhs that is the same as nicehck blocc. Stock cable is the same as EJ07m - the thin copper one, and it’s available in all 3 terminations.

Good luck. This one will be an hard one to pass on…

3 Likes

It’s 600usd, same as EJ07m. IE600 is over 700, if Im not mistaken.

2 Likes

Understood. As a basshead, new iem like ie600 & Kinda Lava are making me giddy with excitement.

How’s the fit for Kinda Lava? Is it comfortable?

3 Likes

Yes. Shuoer metal shell is the smallest tribid I’ve tried and smaller than most hibrids as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for your first impressions! How do they compare to the Tea2?

1 Like

Ejs are the teas upgrades. I would say ej07 is a clear Tea upgrade where ej07m is a clear tea2 upgrade. Kinda Lava is warmer and, in my opinion, competing and mashing UP for my library.

The upgrade comes with a hefty price tag, of course.

4 Likes

Thanks man! I ordered the Tea2 and am wating for it and already looking for other IEM as an addition or upgrade :smiley:
Would you say it´s worth the extra money when you own Tea2?

Give Tea2 a good spin. I love that set more everyday.

Once you figure out what you wanna upgrade you can start to look for it. EJ07m/KL have some of the best money to performance above 500 you will find.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

From around 3:11 to around 4:52. The decay on Kinda Lava is just magical. I’m starting to feel platonic love for this et.

Big props to Larnel, what a beast. :drum:

5 Likes

So do you enjoy KL more than OG EJ07M?

It’s more “fun” and less “dry”. Fun is relative. I might do, but I’ll reserve those comments for next week, once I can A/B them! :slight_smile:

5 Likes