Thieaudio Ghost

I am lucky then cause i able to hold with my finger tips the sides of the cups with the pads meanwhile i put it on my head!And i can hold on the center the pads as where they should be!I dont have sealing problems also!

I will see about testing the beyer pads on the ghost, while I don’t have shures pads as I don’t ever bother with the brand I can test the meze pads when the new pair get here. My old pair suffered quite the wear and tear quickly from all the pad swapping… grateful for @ZeosPantera asking mimic to stock the pads as I am a bit surprised meze doesn’t sell them personally on their store

1 Like

You should be better informed my friend!

Fuuuuuuuuck! The xenon suede pads didnt work on the ghost,but fitted quite well!The sound tamed and more muddy bass!Fuuuuck,i hoped its a good idea!

Ohh wait, i just realized there is the material in the xenon pads center :laughing::laughing::laughing:! I cant cut it out cause that will destroy my argons sound!
Its a not valid test then,sorry!

Woke up a couple of days ago after a heavy night out with friends only to discover an email from PayPal informing me I had made a purchase from Linsoul. I have apparently purchased a pair of Thieaudio Ghost headphones. Note to self, do not go window shopping after drinking !!! Oh well, another set of headphones. At least the wife has stopped bothering me when I buy headphones and IEMs.

8 Likes

Tell her it was a ghost that made you do it…

5 Likes

Still waiting on this thing to come in, wondering if there was a hold or something for this one… Athena came in shockingly fast though. Guess I can’t expect them all to ship from china within 4-5 days lol.

Sober, ordered anyway.

1 Like

Meze pads are quite expensive. Let’s hope Zeos makes a pad comparison vid.

Got mine today, burning it in (just in case). Did a quick listen for a couple of songs, solid performance for 130$ though they do feel a bit closed off for an open back.

I’ll try pad swapping before i cut the stock ones see if i can find something interesting

1 Like

I think i found a set of winning pads :smiley:
BRAINWAVZ Angled Hybrid pads (i have 4 cats and these are a hair magnet so give me a break)

I sat down today to listen for a few hours, first to see if like the headphone, second to get an overall feel for the sound before i start pad swapping/modding.

The brainwavz Hybrids use a very similar kind of valor to the stock pads, so there isnt too much of a difference compared to stock, but the parts that covers the driver is much thinner and also the PU leather on the edges add a bit of kick to the bass.

I still have to A-B a bit more to see if its consistently better (I’ll test it more later, the Harmonicdyne Athena just arrived so im burning that in), but listened to several songs particurally daft punk’s Overture, where the is a lot of small noises in the background, and i got better clarity and detail with brainwavz.

Funny enough these pads were the pads which i used on my Meze 99 Neo (they do wonders to 99s, much better clarity and detail)

Overall thoughs its a great headphone IMO, certainly a keeper in my books, sound stage is a little narrow but its overall a very enjoyable sound signature. One thing i did not expect but they scale very well with different amps, i use 3 setups Clean/Warm/Tubish and there a much bigger difference than i expected.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the info! Also nice to have some protecting fabric over the driver.

1 Like

Got mine, initial listen is they sound very closed off and even somewhat muffled. Simply playing some games and I am getting a fuzz coming off the speakers not sure if this copy is a defective model but possibly then again that same feature was seen when I first tried nighthawk carbon so will continue to test. not at all a fan of the stock pads they are rather generic cheapo $20 style velour pads you can just get off any site like aliexpress. This may be a huge pass for me as someone who does also own the meze 109 pro as I tried those pads on this and I am not getting the same results that are claimed whatsoever. Will let them sit for burn in, see if that helps at all. Can confirm at the least that beyer pads as well as some sennheiser pads do fit on this fine

Have this in as well and is what im currently sitting with as the ghost here burns in. I do really appreciate the Athena.

Overall what I can see just from a simple swap over to a different pair of pads is that the stock pads design on the ghost are an absolute hinderance… anything I have tried has cleared the sound up provided the pads are the breathable variety

1 Like

Noob question: Is it possible to run these with a balanced cable?

1 Like

Ohhh yes Sir!
You can find this balanced cable on linsoul!Super nice quality and price!

2 Likes

Noob answer: Yes.

Expert answer: You can use a balanced cable with 4.4mm or XLR plug which terminates in 2 x 3.5mm TS plugs on the cup sides. That means 2 pol connectors (where the _T_ip is “+” and the _S_leeve is “-”) are the standard socket in these. 3 pol TRS connectors on the cup side work as well if the _R_ing is either not used or connected to “-” as well (default cable). There are only very few cables which use the ring for something else. So you should be safe with most balanced 3.5mm cables.

Edit: The Tripowin Granvia cables suggested above work, are relatively cheap (approx. 50 USD) and are actually very nice indeed (no microphonics). I have several of them.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks a lot guys!! :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

4 days in and 2 days straight of listening and tinkering

So, the bold claims here that this is a game changer or 109 pro in a smaller package… is far too steep and such a hard take that it’s almost an insult to the 109 pro in my opinion in everything that the 109 offers from build, to comfort, to especially grade of sound especially when being powered by higher equipment with lower levels of distortions…

Nothing particularly special on the outside… initial impressions were and still are extremely poor for me with stock pads. It’s nothing particularly impressive a more neutral dark leaning sound that is quite muffled in presence with if anything speaking out that would be the mids being a bit more forward. The stage is small and the sound is a bit congested in terms of separations. Overall signature seems to be an overly smoothed sound that is intimate with congested separations and a neutral-dark sound

It wasn’t until I changed the pads that this headphone in particular woke up. The tuning is a bit strange as is, but I normally wonder what is up when they put such an excessive amount of foam over a driver, coming from beyerdynamic who does this on the regular it’s usually to contain treble presence so it doesn’t practically murder your ears thanks to tesla drivers brighter nature. Needless to say, upon changing the pad I wasn’t surprised at all that the treble picked up tremendously, to the point with these particular pads(using a beyer type pad here from dekoni thin variety) the treble picked up to a level near the DT 880s bass became more defined with a touch more impact and mids were well balanced yet still a bit forward this led to a much more engaging sound. This in it’s own respect, I am appreciative speaking personally as while it doesn’t beat the 880s by any stretch of the imagination due to many areas I am seeing right now such as separation/layering and imaging vs beyers 880 just as an example, however I shouldn’t need to change pads just to get the most out of my headphone let alone the fact to get it similar to another headphone that I could have just went and bought instead within the same ball park when 880s go on sales

Now I did change this to the meze 109 pro pads… these are probably the best pads for this next to something like a thicker variation of sennheiser/shure pads since these are much more tolerable in terms of treble and keep a better balance overall. The meze 109 pro adds onto the already smooth nature of the headphone, bringing up the bass, opening the stage and detail a bit more(this is due to the lacking foam ontop of thicker pads placing your ears further from the drivers… this headphone naturally has a rather small stage). I think this is honestly what makes a more unique sound… it by no means out does the meze or even gets up to that level but at it’s price tag with the mezes pads it makes it respectable and unique enough of a comfortable listen that it makes it worth while

For me personally, I will be selling this one off in a week or so as I want to brush off the pads a bit. It just doesn’t strike a chord with me to keep it on the wall. Any headphone with a poor out of the box experience that needs something like an $80+ pair of pads just to be acceptable is rather ridiculous in my opinion… and at $200(base price plus pads) I am sorry but this is in a rough spot for me personally to say I would keep it over a regular sennheiser such as 58x or HD 600 or even beyers DT 880

3 Likes

Weird how we are hear differently speacially when we compare the same two headphones!hmmm