šŸ”¶ Tripowin X HBB Olina

Glad this thread is backā€¦I am waiting for Ovidius B1 nuclear dongle to pair with Olina since its recently up for $75 on Linsoul and Andy.Ef from Donglemadness website claims that with this combo, Olina performs like a $500 setā€¦lets see.

Definately S12 and Olina is the highest vfm to date. S12 no eq with Azla crystal and Altea pure copper litz cable shines on my Xduoo L2B dongleā€¦the widest and deepest stage with excellent bass everything else is just perfect for me.

4 Likes

Tried the double filter mod, problem solved. It sounds extremely similar to the Starfield with this mod, but technicalities are a different story, the Olina takes a poopoo on the Starfield in this regard. Looks like Iā€™ll be maining the Olina because the Starfield got outclassed, I was maining mine for almost 2 years despite owning like 8 sets that are more expensive.

Bought stuff like the DUNU EST 112, Fiio FD5, Softears Volume, Thieaudio Legacy 4., JVC HA FDX1ā€¦ None of these sets gave me the same enjoyment as the Starfield, itā€™s a testament that more money doesnā€™t equal more enjoyment. Iā€™d take double filter Olina over any of those 5 sets. I think the only set that might beat the Olina is a B2:Dusk or Variations which I have planned to get in a few months from now. Canā€™t afford to spend a few hundred on more gear at the moment.

A+ tier IEM w/ double filters. A- stock.

Have a DUNU Vernus sent directly by DUNU themselves which is essentially a re-tuned Falcon Pro (Never bought one because the FR suggests bloat and I hate bloaty IEMs.) wonder how this will stack with the Olina?

5 Likes

Anyone how a great budget dongle or DAC/AMP to run with the Olina?

I have some leftover Amazon store credit, almost enough to get a second one for a buddy. The Olina doesnā€™t sound great without decent amplification, giving one without a decent source wonā€™t cut it.

Iā€™m running mine off a Jade Audio KA3, sounds quite good.

I know Ikko sells a budget DAC/AMP for around $60, tho Iā€™m not sure if it would be a good match with the Olina.

Tempotec E44 is greatā€¦bit agressive. Try alao xduoo L2B little pricy but worth it.

I am waiting for Ovidius B1 for Olinasā€¦recently up for sale for $75 cant resist.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sold on the 250 filters both added to the nozzle and the front port but I just donā€™t use these with my EE Spartan and Moondrop S8s on hand. I donā€™t see a classified section so if anyone wants a pair with these with an hour or 2 actual ear time with another 100 or so breakin on a desk, PM me. This is a clean pair with nice caps. Iā€™ll include some spare filters to stack plus all the original replacements and accessories etc. Like new except I had to split the wrap paper to open them. Box just refused to push out either end. :roll_eyes: Actual box is fine.

You can also post this here: Buy/Sell and Looking for Thread

2 Likes

Hey HBB, still loving the Olina, now really donā€™t reach for MELE any more.

I have three constructive feedbacks of Olina v. MELE:

1. the angle of the nozzle of the MELE fits me better than that of the Olina. That Olina angle makes the top of the the earpiece at the cable joining stick out a little from my head. The MELE doesnā€™t

2. The cable of the Olina, over a five month period, has become hard like the cable from two years ago KZs. The cable of the MELE is still soft and supple.

3. The Hawaii blue caps of the MELE just OWN the grey of the Olina.

Plusā€¦ I have had dropped volume issues with Olina, and it is from the way the filter absorbs earwax. It is NOT from condensation in my case. When I change out the (double) filter, all is fine for a few weeks.

Keep up the good work.

6 Likes

I highly rec the Tanya mod. No volume issues once I did that

3 Likes
  1. this is also the case for me. more so after I changed the cable. But I saw HBB saying this was essential for the sound tuning.
  2. Yeah stock cable is not good.
  3. You have 2 options. either use Tanya filter or use some anti moisture spray which is used for shoes and cloths. also try not to use wide bore tips :grinning:
1 Like

i highly doubt it is earwax because human body does not produce such a quantity of earwax in just a few weeks, it is more likely water from sweat condensation, the simple test is to let it dry without replacing the filters : if sound return to normal after drying up it was water if sound remains with dropped volume it was earwax (each time i run or bike with olina i have this issue and each time if fixed itself without replacing filters after drying up)

can hbb please confirm tanya filters is the solution that works and organise a group buying of tanya filters for olina owners so we donā€™t all have to spent $24 on tanya to fix olina problem. proactively fixing his products flaws would be cool and responsible from hbb side

1 Like

My perfect setup for Olina:
1)Tanya filter on the nozzle
2) Y3 filter on the shell
3) Tips are very personal issueā€¦ Iā€™m using this one in L size w/o orange foam inserts.

3 Likes

Not to my ears. Itā€™s still pretty peaky out of my QK5 even if I listen to FLAC files. It may sound better if you manage to EQ it in the right way, but thatā€™s definitely not my area of expertise. I went back to the Shortbus mod + xelastec tips so that the vocals donā€™t sound recessed and/or nasal.

1 Like

My Olina setup:
ā€”Azla Xelastec tips
ā€”Double filter on the nozzle (Shortbus mod)
ā€”XINHS 8 core balanced cable (if that even matters)
Iā€™m using the Qudelix 5K as a wired DAC for my PC. Iā€™m not that into filters, but I think that the transients and the imaging sound the best with the Hybrid Fast Roll-Off filter. YMMV, of course.

Thereā€™s another guy whoā€™s shared a similar combo

PS: Bit perfect does make a difference with this gear ??? I thought it was just another marketing scheme. Could be just placebo, idk. One thingā€™s for sure, Olina definitely allows me to hear microdetails ā€”easter eggs, if you willā€” that were utterly unknown to my ears.

4 Likes

I heard from trusted people that tanya filters has some kind of anti-moisture coating pre-applied and solves this issue. I didnā€™t want to buy tanya just for filters (and liked the sound of shortbus mod) so I bought a water repellant spray for $2 and it worksā€¦!
but itā€™ll be cool if HBB try to fix this issue. condensation is definitely a flaw that needs to be taken care of. not all people have the knowledge to fix it.

2 Likes

I spent all Saturday morning on listening to Velvet Underground and their covers with my Olina and still impressed with following interpretation :slight_smile: :notes:

Olina shines with this song :wink:

3 Likes

250 both on the front vent and stacked on the nozzle was easily my best compromise. Donā€™t see a downside this way. Less tip sensitive which means itā€™s
very close to right unless way off and this is close to right.

1 Like

did you apply the water repellant spray on a pair of included olina replacement filters before sticking them on olina ? no clogging from the spray lowering sound volume after the water repellant dried ? what is the brand of your $2 water repellant ? thanks

1 Like

I was using double mesh mod then applied this spray. no negative sonic effect. its a no brand generic spray :grinning:
you can find lots of alternatives

1 Like

Got the DUNU Vernus 2 days ago and have been comparing them to the Olina.

Some notes: (Assuming the Reference filter is used.)

• Olina is more technical than the Vernus sporting wider soundstage and slightly better detail retrieval. Imaging on both is about the same.

• Vernus has more a natural timbre and generally sounds less compressed than the Olina.

• Vernus has a much smoother treble response but is a tad bloated even when using the transparency filter which has the least mid bass, something the Olina avoids completely.

The Vernus is a good set, but it canā€™t hold a candle to how good the Olina is at itā€™s price point.

6 Likes