E-600 Fully Balanced Amplifier (Chinese) warning

**UPDATE: SOME MODELS HAVE THE MARKINGS FOR THE L/R CHANNELS REVERSED. INCLUDING WHITE AND RED ON RCA. THERE MAY BE NEWER REVISIONS WHERE A COLOR SWAP AND THE MARKINGS ON THE UNIT ARE REVERSED.

BUY FROM EBAY FOR 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - POSTAGE LABEL MUST BE PROVIDED BY SELLER

I HAVE HEARD OF ONE PERSON HAVING DISTORTION ISSUES**

This unit is available from various sellers, there are a few faulty versions. I would recommend not buying until the right version is marked as 100% functional.

Fullly balanced input and balanced output
Truly balanced input and output For lower distortion and dynamics, as well as RCA input and 6.5mm headphone output.

Headphone amp output IC TPA6120 from TI
The output chip uses TPA6120, and the conversion rate is as high as 1300V/us. The IC is current negative feedback type amplifying circuit, Distortion is only 0.000001% THD+N , 120dB dynamic range, 120dB signal to noise ratio.
Strong driving ability with an output current up to 700mA. Can drive high impedance headphones. With a secure protection circuit design, two-way relay left and right channels to monitor two sound channels respectively.

Hifi Audio grade components and features

WIMA coupling capacitor
AUDIO filter capacitor
Japan ALPS potentiometer
15W Bingzi transformer
Heavy duty aluminum case
Balanced/ RCA analog input switch
High & low impedance headphone amplifier switch

Dimension and weight

Size: 250*167*54mm.
Net weight: 1.9kg.
Weight after packing: 2.7kg.

Optional Dual Operational Amplifiers

Version 1: JRC 5532DD
Version 2: MUSES 8920
Version 3: MUSES 02

First off it’s larger than a Jotunheim. Second the specs are kind of confusing to read but to my ear it’s putting out as much power or possibly more than a Jotunheim and LCX. Balanced and SE appears to have the same level of power, for instance on a T50RP 50% in high gain is almost too loud. I am using a decent entry level DAC like a Topping D10/30 and it’s sounding great.

Pros:

• Heavy Duty
  • Powerful (limitless)
  • SE as powerful as Balanced
  • Cheap for what it is
  • Easy to upgrade op-amps
  • Balanced in
  • Volume knob is metal (my bad it just needed tightening)

Cons:

• Base level opamps (2) are average (can easily be upgraded with dual opamps like OPA2604, OPA2134)
  • XLR out on front for pre-amping
5 Likes

OP-AMPS TESTED

Group 1
OPA2132 = nice warm sound, detail and - little to no noise with volume pot.
LME48960 = good, bright - little no noise with volume pot.
OPA2604 = excellent sound little to low noise on volume pot.
OPA2134 = good warmer than 2604 but overall excellent - little to no noise with volume pot.
LM4562NA = good chip, vibrant - little to no noise with volume pot.
NE5532P = good, really warm and good sound stage low noise on volume pot.

Group 2
JRC5532 = good tier 1 base op-amp, warm some noise on volume pot.
OP275 = nice tubey sound but noise in right channel when adjusting volume

Group 3
Burson v5i-D = Lots of distortion when adjusting volume.
Muses02 = Sold as tier 3 with amp but has distortion issues. (feedback from other user)

Group 1 have very slight distortion when adjusting volume but it may not be noticeable when playing music some of these sound excellent like the OPA2604.
Group 2 are average sounding op amps with some distortion when adjusting volume.
Group 3 These are opamps that have been reported to have bad distortion issues.

Thoughts so far: OPA2132, OPA2134 get my vote and OPA2604 is best. OPA1692 on route.

4 Likes

Heh, interesting! :smiley:

Following this. Interested to hear your thoughts.

the image appears to show what looks to be a solid setup. take a picture when you get yours and compare to see if the actual QC is as good as represented?

The Chinese are destroying all that old 1990’s and 2000’s era of audiophile mindset and marketing bullshit to justify the sky high pricing… God bless them!

2 Likes

Which one did you get? And, Yes, please, full review.

This could be interesting, will check back for impressions

The basic one, I paid a bit more on ebay for buyer protection but might try playing with different opamps. The basic NE5532 isn’t a bad opamp, cheap! but it will at least show if the unit is decent.

I might throw some Burson v5i-D’s in there.

Well the power surprised me, wow! $88 well excuse my French but what a fucking steal lol!

The thing is built like a brick shit-house, must have 3-5 watts or more easily and sounds pretty darn clean as clean as an LCX or Jot. I can barely get to 50% on a T50RP. In fact low gain is too loud

I tested with my Khadas and have an issue when volume is up high where I can hear static if no music is playing, Note: this is also an issue on my LCX, TA-10. The pre-out on the Jot into it is fine and I think this is a Khadas issue.
The SE also appears to be as powerful as the balanced out so no issues powering an unbalanced Argon here.

Volume switch is plastic but could be swapped, don’t let the cheaper NE5532 put you off it’s a great opamp. I paid about $140 for mine but on AliExpress it’s like $120 shipped.

Really surprised how good it sounds and the sound can be changed with dual opamps. Ridiculous bargain!

EDIT: Just realized the opamps are not like my NE5532’s, they are JRC 5532…interesting so they might be crap, it had a little unevenness in the highs. Sounded much better with a upgraded opamp

Yup, just put in some LM4562NA and much clearer, less compressed top end.

How much freaking power has this thing got? It’s driving T50 drivers like they are Superlux!

1 Like

@ZeosPantera , look at that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am honestly blown away at $90-110 but you do need something better than the base JRC 5532 opamps. Perhaps the bundle 2 or 3 are nicer sounding but I am not familiar with MUSE’s.

The LM4562NA sounds good, V5i-d is what I’ll aim for. Using the Jot as a preamp and the volume gets to Lunatic Levels. Even just a normal DAC line in is super loud.

2 Likes

Topping D30 is actually prettty decent.

Hey man can you tell me what size volume knob that is so I can find a metal replacement? And if you know could you tell me the output impedance? Thanks!

It was just loose and a polished metal so I thought it was plastic, I did get a better one on amazon and it’s 30mm.

Oh gotcha, can you link to the Amazon page?

One I got here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X773QEU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just wanted to update the info here, high gain @50% on a T50RP is loud, very loud. Originally I was using the Jotunheim as a pre-amp and it was extreme. Based on the non amplified DAC I would still say it edges a Jotunheim out on power. I was gonna hop on the 789 bandwagon but pretty happy with this fella.

God bless China.

Thank you! I like a good feeling volume knob! Unlike the cheap feeling one on the magni 3…