šŸ”· MassDrop THX AAA 789 - Linear Headphone Amplifier

Iā€™d like to second this. My current amp is a Liquid Spark, and Iā€™m not sure how big of an upgrade it would be.

Iā€™ll hold my comments until I get my 789 in September. Iā€™ve been perfectly happy with my Atom and Iā€™ll be taking it to the office once the 789 arrives. For me personally, I really wanted a balanced amp since my audio interface uses balanced outs. The best option besides the 789 is the Neve RNHP but itā€™s more money and doesnā€™t have the same features.

1 Like

@ Martin_Lesch
Nice. I will be feeding the 789 with a Topping DX7S via balanced interconnects. I am very interested to know how the SU8 sounds compared to the DX7S. Same chip but there will be some differences in the implementation (engineering) of the DACs.

1 Like

Amen. I have a AAA 789 coming in September and Iā€™m honestly not expecting to hear the difference between that and the Atom. Both are transparent. Transparent is transparent. There arenā€™t different flavors of it.

Why did I buy it then?

So I can say ā€œendgame!ā€ And move on to obsessing over other parts of the signal path. :joy:

5 Likes

Can you provide some more info which version ? Where to buy it etc

End game is a myth in this (endless) rabbit holeā€¦ but for the curious, this particular tunnel (Tunnel 789) is begging to be explored. Itā€™s like someone said ā€œthereā€™s shit down there that I didnā€™t know existed! But it only opens twice a year, and just for a few hoursā€¦ā€ Then other people managed to explore it a bit and were like, ā€œwtf manā€¦ this tunnel is ridiculous!ā€ Then the masses wanted to explore itā€¦

I would venture to say that half the reviews on Drop are from people who have limited experience with DACs and amps, or donā€™t have the reference point of having heard a half-decent DAC or amp before, so ofc the 789 will blow their minds.

Regardless, I was tempted to taste the (hopefully) sweet waters based on the stellar feedback it has received from various sources outside of Drop, including Amir and Zeos. But I will let the amp talk for itself when it arrives. If itā€™s even half as good as the accolades being thrown around, it will have a place at my table.

3 Likes

Can you imagine two completely different (opposite even) approaches to audiophilia? Z is all id. Amir is all scientific method, footnoted and properly organized.

When they agree (which they often do) you just gotta reach for the wallet.

1 Like

i just want my THX AAA 789 already. already got the setup waiting for my baby to arrive and donā€™t worry i have a balanced cable for the sennheiser coming in soonšŸ˜†

Is that the creative dac amp on ur desk. Its scaryā€¦

Yeah one of the best AMP/DAC for gaming.

What makes it well suited for gaming vs music? I have always used the same equipment for music and games.

Literally nothing. All it does is it dumbs down the EQ process which depending on the game you want to play makes it sound ā€œbetterā€/different.

Also has those virtual surround nonsense if you are into that.

2 Likes

Donā€™t forgot the aggressive ā€œgamerā€ looks and possibly color changing lights

I donā€™t know how you could have a gaming product without that.

2 Likes

oh yeah, thats some serious tape alright

see what i mean?

:facepunch:

EQ is exactly what makes it good for gaming. If you need the low end bumped up for better footsteps itā€™s easy to do. See the problem is Itā€™s directed towards gamers but silly audiophiles see the letters ā€œAMP/DACā€ and assume itā€™s for them. Audiophiles are weirdos at times.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s endgame gamer equipment but it gets the job done. EQā€™ing can turn any bad headphone or speakers into good ones. Once my THX AAA 789 comes in Iā€™m going to shelf the Sound Blaster.

Yeah that was my point. Gamer sound cards makes the EQ process easier - clicking a button. Most gamers wont know what frequencies to change to hear footsteps better. My point was that you can get exactly the same effect using a normal DAC and EQ software.

Similarly, silly audiophiles wonā€™t get that effect obviously by just using a DAC/AMP, less so with the 789 because it doesnā€™t colour the sound. If you only use the SU-8 and THX you will get a much fuller sound in game than setting your sound blaster to FPS historically.

Agree on your point that EQ can make some headphones sound better, but not everything can be EQā€™ed perfectly either - not without distortion at least. You will never be able to get planar level base out of a set of Gradoā€™s for instance.