What are you drinking tonight?

I actually enjoyed it. Thanks to life getting in the way, I didn’t get the Jameson. I did just pick this lovely little number up and got to try some mead.

1 Like

New day, new drinks

Whiskey, not bad. Mead, chilling is a must, but not too much.

3 Likes

Wild turkey is not to be messed with :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Why do I feel like there’s a story behind this comment…:wink:

1 Like

Uuuuhh, I like this place,

IMG_0491

IMG_0490

the beer

and sometimes I want to take a bath there too

:laughing:

4 Likes

you want to bathe in brains?

I have a big Hoepfner 3 liter beer stein from Oktoberfest when I lived in Germany. I won it in the beer garden that had the Hoepfner tent set up in it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m not drinking any right now, but we were discussing blended Scotch on here earlier and I ended up on this topic with the bartender the hotel we just stayed at. I asked him what he rec’d as a top shelf blended Scotch that he thinks can hang with single malts and he poured me a glass of Ballantine’s 30 year. I think I’d had it before, but if I had, I definitely didn’t remember it being this good. I ended up picking up a bottle from him to have around. I’ll probably crack my bottle tomorrow night and do a little testing back and forth with a couple of the single malts I have on hand to see how it stacks up. Regardless of that, it’s quite tasty and I’d definitely check it out if you’re interested in seeing what higher quality blends can taste like.

That’s, ah… Quite the price tag

1 Like

tonight? I haven’t the foggiest man…it’s 7:30 in the morning, I’m not thinking about the evening yet!!!

1 Like

Yep, it’s not cheap. I mentioned “top shelf” in their, but I guess I should’ve been a bit clearer. Basically, the bartender and I were talking about single malts that were in that €300ish price range and I asked if he had any rec’s for a blended Scotch that he thought could hold it’s own with the single malts we’d been discussing. The Ballantine’s 30 was what he mentioned and after i had the double he poured me, I decided to grab a bottle to try against some single malts. It’s definitely a treat and not something that’s gonna be an everyday bottle…at least, not on my budget. :joy:

2 Likes

I am new in this area but the Höpfner brewery and all the festivities there are on my radar :grin::beers:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a little comical. It’s just like everything else, though. I paid 100 bucks for a pour of Glenmorangie once. It was really good, but I don’t think I would do that again!

Again, it’s all relative.

1 Like

Yeah, can’t say I’ve had anything over ~$70-80 for a standard 750ml bottle. I was presently surprised how good Dewers Japanese Smooth was for ~$25 if memory serves on the price. $300 for a bottle would be something that would hang around for at least a couple years, as I wouldn’t want it to go too fast.

1 Like

I paid €350 with the hotel’s bottle charge which is actually less than I probably would’ve paid if I had bought it in the US since many places stateside are charging bewteen $400 to $600 for it. I definitely won’t be drinking it every day, but it’s ultimately meant to be enjoyed so that’s what’s gonna happen. Basically, ghe bartender said that Ballantine’s 30 is looked at as one of the best widely available blended bottles so I figured this was an opportunity to score a bottle that I liked and could use as a benchmark in tasting for less than I would’ve paid otherwise. That’s worth it all day long for me and I’ve definitely paid more for some aingle malts that I’ve had/have.

@Raptor168 : Speaking of Glenmorangie, I have a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet (I think I posted about it here once actually) that is absolutely killer. It’s like $200 to $250 a bottle, but it really drinks like it’s even better than that. You’ve gotta try it if you get the chance.

1 Like

Copy that. I really did like it, man. I may have to bust open the piggy bank and give that a shot! When I looked up that Ballantine’s 30 blend I saw $975. And that is what made me laugh! That is next-level stuff. :+1:

Back in the day I used to love reading Winners Dinners column in the Sunday Times…Michael Winner’s (RIP) column (might need to google him?) and his private jet hops with his wife from London to some Italian lake with his friend Roger Moore and his missus… the bill read like food €400 2 bottles of wine €20,000 :joy: His book is worth a read too :+1:

Nope, I didn’t pay close to $975 and I called the whiskey shop I normally buy ny bottles from by my house and he says they have it for $479 and that $400 to $600 is standard pricing depending on where the economy and import fees are sitting (sounds like these fees change pretty often for some reason).

Edit: BTW, that price is for 750ml. So a standard fifth.

1 Like

“Just” beer
Never change a running system :sweat_smile::muscle:t2::beers:

I was a bit bored today but then this local brewery crossed my path

I’m feeling better now

3 Likes

Picked this up yesterday and tried it. Very interesting and very different from anything I’ve had before. I can’t say I’m used to whiskey that’s this dark in color, but past the tingle of the alcohol (a buddy tried a sip and called it a burn, though it was nothing more then a tingle, kinda like pop rocks, just not nearly as intense) it was really smooth. For reference, the bottle is clear. That dark color is the whiskey itself.

1 Like