What did you buy today? (Part 1)

There are a lot of tube amps I haven’t heard, so take it with a grain of salt, but IME I wouldn’t buy any tube amp for Planars alone. The Tuba sounds OK with the low impedance planars I have, and I still don’t like it with the Focals, but planar’s wouldn’t be the reason to buy it for me.
It’s still got a 5 Ohm output impedance, and I’ve always thought the 10x rule ought to be an absolute minimum.
If you want to drive low impedance headphones and want a tube sound, buy a hybrid, like the liquid platinum. If you want a pure tube sound, buy headphones with a higher impedance.

3 Likes

Thank you! I set an eBay alert so I got an email as soon as it went on sale. Haha. It went on sale in the evening and I bought it at 7am the next morning. :grinning:

2 Likes

one for the porta’s one to attempt k

Another beautiful periapt cable for my t60’s.

16 Likes

what do you think of your Porta One’s? what are their strengths and weaknesses in your opinion?

Where? I want!! :slight_smile:

One going on UK Ebay…

4 Likes

I don’t even have the main amp back yet… but these LCD X’s are friggen amaze balls. If you ever get the chance to audition a set, I recommend it.

3 Likes

And the dx160?

You know what. I can certainly say that these are the best Eyeglasses I have ever heard so far. Imaging could be better.

Just a little thicc, but they are still light.

6 Likes

These came in

16 Likes

:raised_hands: … very nice

nice, i got the same color, blue and white looks cool

1 Like

They are great sound for the price. I have them in beige / grey, the colour reminds me of electronics from the 80s or 90s before electronics became fashion items.

1 Like

Loosks like the “exponent” brand headphones my mom used to buy me to listen to music on my Pentium 3 :stuck_out_tongue:

(But for sure doesn’t sound like this crap.)

1 Like

Ok… now for the funny shit (FX Audio Tube-03). A/B-ing with HD58X… makes no difference at all, lol. I mean, I hear a difference, but, it’s so subtle… for open-back headphones with a lot of “airiness” already, it’s not worth it at all.

But if your closed-back headphones lack “air” (10khz+), even if you won’t ever use the bass/treble knobs, yeah, recommended.

And if you want a bass/treble knob… This 30$ FX Audio Tube-03 is 1/5 the price of a schiit loki. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just purchased the Focal Elegia. They should be arriving tomorrow. :grinning:

10 Likes

To be fair, that is a pre-amp you’re fiddling with, and those are already very efficient headphones. This is also not to mention it’s a hybrid. Hybrids tend not to produce as much of a tuby sound to begin with as a full tube, not to mention, the less work the tubes have to do (even with a full tube amp), the less it’ll sound different. Kinda like how going from my XD-05 to my TA-10 with my K550 doesn’t sound different, but the difference is much more present with my DT990s

1 Like

Bought a new board game

5 Likes

HD800s be here next Tues…to compare with my Focal Clears and HD600’s…

My stable:

17 Likes

I bought the 2019 Turbo tax software, now if only i can figure out how to write off all this gear…:thinking:

10 Likes