What did you buy today? (Part 1)

I agree, Well written.

Most Hifiman cans have that Hifiman house sound… which is low quantity high quality bass, good mids (albeit sometimes too forward for my preferences), and the classic Hifiman 8 to 9 KHz treble peak that always bothers me.

The exceptions are the older model hifiman such as the HE400, HE500, HE5, HE6 and the newer Sundara, HE1000 V2, and Edition xx.

Just not my preferences, but Hifiman do have some things they do really well. But their lineup could use some more versatility in the sound signature options IMO.

2 Likes

Thank you.

In the same interview I referred to he mentioned that their lineup consists of what’s possible in the stated price target. They basically give you what he thinks is the ideal sound for the money you’re spending.

They’re all incremental upgrades until you pay for the Shangri-La, which is a $50k rig. :roll_eyes:

He didn’t give any target references other than stating the ideal sound would be Carnegie Hall (or Lincoln Center. I forget which, or if it was both). WTF?

1 Like

If you decide to invest in a Shang, do not buy that stupid amp they pair with it, just by the Sr headphones which should be around 18k new, and buy a solid energizer instead like the lta z10e, woo 3es, headamp blue hawaii SE, mjolnir megatron v2, etc

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the Blue Hawaii was Tyll Hertsen’s all time favorite amplifier

And everybody is rushing to reply… :rofl:

1 Like

Or, avoid hifiman all together and get the RAAL SR-1A with the Schiit Jotunheim R for roughly $4k and call it a day. :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Could be, it was very solid when I tried it. Personally the best I have heard it was with the 3es elite so far, I’ve got mine decked out with nice tubes, pretty great

1 Like

But you are stepping down a few tiers in performance lol, but obviously that’s the more reasonable choice here

Stepping down in price tiers, but is it really stepping down in performance?

It’s all subjective and opinion…

Just going off of my experiences (the one time I forget to put imo lol)

3 Likes

I certainly hope so lol

1 Like

I tried my TR-X00s without the rings, and I thought the bass suffered tremendously. I’d be interested in hearing your take when you get your pads.

4 Likes

When I used to own my Th-x00 Mahogany, I felt similarly to you. After I did the Lawton driver damping mod and ZMF Ori pad swap. I actually made my own attenuation rings out of a plastic folder and a 2nd pair out of an old CD Jewel Case by using the Dekoni rings to trace the shape. More rigid and hard material will increase the bass. But too hard of a substance and you’ll start to notice reflection distortion. The thicker plastic folder that I used was best IMO.

4 Likes

I would second your point on the HE4XX’s, with a different preface. I hated their sound and tried everything over several months to make it work, but it never did.

However, outside of the sound, my ownership experience was:

1. Super comfortable and I have a big bean.
  2. Perfect quality after several months. Not even a squeak.
  3. Great price and gets even better with the odd sale.

I preferred the HD58X’s by a mile, but that’s just personal preference.

3 Likes

I’m technically with you lol. I had more of a love/hate relationship with them but ultimately I despise them now. I think I might be the biggest 4xx hater in the world. I also prefer the HD58x by a mile but thankfully my sister loved the 4xx so she’s gonna have them whenever she swings by and picks em up

1 Like

I just got the Beyerdynamic DT177x Go. I needed something closed back at work. Then the office closed for at least the next two weeks. facepalm

Prior to pulling the trigger on the 177x I was thinking about the Drop Ether’s (not for @work!). Now they are $100 off. I am debating on how hungry I want to be over the next 6 months to pay them off… Granted, with my office “forcing” me to work from home the next two weeks I will save on gas. So that might be 5 months of hunger. ponders…

9 Likes

hey ins, how do you find the 177x for soundstage and imaging?

1 Like

How are the DT 177X Go’s?

1 Like

The ultra budget gear adventure continues

6 Likes

Comfortable. Not super tight clamp on my head. I do not like when the ear pads are trying to touch while on my head. Looking at you Audio-Technica ATH-M40x!!! :stuck_out_tongue: Have not a lot of sound time with them.

Still trying to figure out exactly what that means. I will have to get back to you on that. I hear sound differences between them and other options I have. But, those two specific things still elude me as to exactly what they mean. Probably more likely I am not able to listen super critical, I typically only want good sound reproduction. Could also be I listen to mostly 90’s metal and Daft Punk. Probably should watch a movie with them on and then I will notice that kind of details. However, with music, they make sound… Lol!

2 Likes