What did you buy today? (Part 1)

I haven’t listened to much music with them but they definitely have more bass than my HD6xx set. So far I prefer my HD6xx’s for music but the sound stage just isn’t as good for imaging for games. I’m new to this audiophile game and not great for describing sound. I feel like I can hear where the footsteps / doors opening are now on the 177x that I never got with the HD6xx. Music almost seems claustrophobic though on the 177x, but that’s most likely the closed back / open back differences. I’m very aware I’m listening to music through headphones with the 177x if that makes sense?

I haven’t used the 770’s so I can’t offer much if it’s going to be a worth while upgrade for you. db_Cooper included a set of Dekoni Elite fenestration sheepskin pads, so far they have been my favorites of the two stock and these. Might be worth trying new pads to tame the treble and if that doesn’t work they would work on your upgrade if your set for the 177x / 1990 route.

Well, it happened. What’s one more Beyer?

#BlameM0N

15 Likes

Gaming boss level complete lol…enjoy :grinning:

1 Like

I have the same problems with silicon tips, they never seal right or stay sealed. I switched to Comply 400 foam tips and that solved that problem… made a big difference in the sound quality too.

1 Like

Got it, thanks for the reply!

I was browsing your Achievement profile. You have a ways to go with the Beyers.

15 Likes

LMAO, that’s awesome. :wink:

1 Like

Sweet. When you get the chance, could you do a direct comparison of treble performance - specifically for things like overall brightness, sharpness, and sibilance - across the 880, 1990, and T1?

2 Likes

You could look into getting custom tips, however they are a bit pricey. https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips

1 Like

Sounds good, will do that some time after the 880s come in.

The achievement list reminded me to update my profile with recent acquisitions. Beyer family is up to:

1. 880 (@M0N Edition - Old School Premium, Grey pads, 600 ohm) - arriving soon
  2. Drop 177x Go
  3. 1770 Pro
  4. 1990 Pro
  5. T1

Most of these are quite recent acquisitions. Of the four I’ve got on hand, DT 1990s are an easy favorite, but they also have the most intense treble, pushing the bounds of sibilance without quite getting painful. T1s are lighter and the most comfortable of the bunch. They keep the openness and trim the treble, but to my ears lose some of the magic of the 1990s. 1770s have no sibilance and a ton of bass, but exhibit some of the tradeoffs of being closed. 177x are odd ducks out and I can now see why I read some reviews suggesting Drop “ruined” them. They’re mostly missing the “Beyer intensity” that the other headphones all have. I should add that they’re not bad, but they probably don’t match what people expected based on 1770 Pros.

In any case, that’s a rough summary of early impressions. I can do a more detailed comparative listening session later and write something up with more details and examples.

4 Likes

Picked up some open box T50RP MK3s on eBay for $115 and tossed some ZMF Protein pads on them! These are absolutely amazing! (Yes I know the pads are backwards in the pic, fixed them right after)

13 Likes

FedEx lady just rang the bell, I finally managed to get my hands on a Parasound Halo P5 pre-amp & DAC.

This may be the last thing I get my hands on for a while, this pandemic has walloped my ass financially, it’s really starting to hurt real bad.
I’m happy to still have my health though, money does a dead man no good and unless the Zombies finally show up hopefully folks will risk going back to work soon. Banks aren’t taking Covid as an excuse for late commercial payments…:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

16 Likes

You can bet they will cite COVID-related losses when they re-state their earnings to the shareholders, though. Funny how that works.

5 Likes

Yup.

Kind of like hospitals and COVID related deaths. :thinking:

edit, no need for me to use foul language. This has been hard on everyone the world over and money won’t bring back all the loved ones lost. Sorry, my bad. Back to cool stuff!:hugs:

4 Likes

I think this says it all about this whole situation.

2 Likes

Audeze LCD-X. Received these heavy babies today brand new, latest revision. Trying to EQ them a bit as they can be even better :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Finally, after ordering on march 14th, my cable for my elex showed up today!
(One day I might get my mother to use her relatively expensive camera for actual good photos, of course, there is also the way you frame the picture too, among other things.)

(My picture)

(Their facebook picture)

17 Likes

That’s awesome. I hope you’re enjoying them as much as I do.

You should check out Metal571’s EQ settings, they should be posted on his YouTube review.

Cheers!

I like it. It replaced my HD800S as my brighter, higher-end headphone next to the Verite.
I paid $1,250 new. Not bad for pro version.

2 Likes