What did you buy today? (Part 1)

ATOM and D10.sold my element…don’t tell mon lol.i like those pre amp !

7 Likes

Received these today for my Lawton’s.

14 Likes

Seemed pretty quick

1 Like

Actually took about a week from when I placed the order. I’m happy. :blush:

2 Likes

Yaxi pads came in

21 Likes

My Bronze 2s are the black model. Super sweet speakers. Come to think of it, my 99 Neos are black too. I’ll have to take a pic of those two next to each other.

2 Likes

music streamer from the dark side

for all our services like Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify Premium, Amazon Music

Pad on a stand > camera connection kit > RME ADI 2 DAC fs > THX AAA 789

15 Likes

Apples get eaten…

3 Likes

Don’t look at the light!

26 Likes

My $400 Elear from the Woo Audio sale came today.

First impressions, what an absolutely GORGEOUS piece of kit - before I thought that the more monotone Elex and Clear looked better, but in person the contrasting black and silver finish of the Elear is beautiful. It almost feels like a classy piece of jewellery. The comfort is fine, I read before that people with large heads might have trouble but I have room to spare and my noggin is humongous.

Only the cable is an absolute joke as expected. Forgetting the length, it’s janky and feels kinda cheap, though the rubber is fine. Definitely will need an upgrade ASAP. If I paid the MSRP and got something like that I’d be mad.

As for the sound, I didn’t spend too much time with it, but the early impressions: I bought the Elear thinking that down the line I will swap the pads to turn it into an Elex replacement, but… I might not have to. I might not want to. I mean, I will still try, if I can get the pads on the cheap, but so far I really enjoy the sound signature. And yeah, I’m aware some people really don’t like it.

17 Likes

I can’t help it. It’s just so … GREEN!

3 Likes

I’ve said it before: the stock Focal cables are so you can listen while you wait for your real cables to ship.

Although, I do use the coiled cable that came with the Clear Pro. Guess “professionals” ain’t got time for that s—.

4 Likes

How can a company make such great headphones but such shit cables?..it beggars belief tbh.

Too stuck up their own ass to fix it

4 Likes

“Too stuck up their own ass to fix it”

1 Like

I like the coiled cable. It’s probably the best stock Focal cable.

2 Likes

Well, I said what I said with tongue in cheek, but maybe there is some truth to that–anyone willing to drop Focal prices on a headphone probably has their own preferences for cables. So why should Focal invest a great deal in the stock cable when they’ll never be able to please everyone? And why should we pay extra for a fancy cable if it’s not what we want?

The stock cables do at least look nice and match the headphone aesthetics. They have decent connectors. They’re functional where it counts, but they’re also short, stiff and janky.

I prefer 1.5-2m balanced cables for all of my headphones, anyway, so even if Focal had included nicer cables I’d swap mine out. I get everything terminated in 2.5mm, then use Eidolic super-short connectors to convert to XLR, 1/4" or 3.5mm TRS, etc. I can use the native 2.5 mm connection with my A&K DAPs, and I even have a 2.5mm extension cable in case I really need the extra distance.

A silver lining is that I’ve used the Focal cable quality as an excuse to explore a variety of cable styles and manufacturers. I’ve got:

Utopia: Lavricables Master
Stellia: Forza Audioworks Claire HPC Mk2 (custom 2-tone)
Clear Pro: Focal stock coiled (1/4")
Elegia #1: KK Cable TZ-ZO (found on Amazon)
Elegia #2: Moon Audio Black Dragon
Elex: Corpse Cable GraveDigger

Out of these, the Forza cable is an easy favorite; I love everything about it from build quality to looks. The Lavricable is a nice second, and a good match for Utopia. The Corpse and Dragon cables are very similar in build and style, but the Dragon cables are quite a bit more expensive. Both are good enough to recommend, though I personally like braided cables a lot more for their flexibility. Finally, the cheapie cable I use with my first Elegia is a nice aesthetic match with a very supply black and silver braid. It’s not as nicely constructed as the more boutique cables, but it gets the job done.

Yup. Only one of the bunch I didn’t feel the need to replace. Besides, at this point I can borrow one from another pair of Focals if I really want to go balanced.

3 Likes

I use the cardas clear headphone cable on my clear, and if it were the white version, it would look like a stock cable but better lol

1 Like

I’ve looked at their cables not for Headphones but IEM’s and they look well made…just a shame they don’t a full silver wire IEM cable :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

This is my Forza cable for the Stellias:

I found it via a Google Image search that landed me on this review:

The cable is all copper, but with a mix of clear and “transparent black” shielding. The latter results in a nice burnt bronze look that looks fantastic with the Stellias. There wasn’t an option on the web page to order it that way, but I emailed Matt @ Forza with my request and he was happy to make one that way for me.

I’ve not looked at Forza’s IEM cables, but if you’re looking for all silver, I really like ALO / Campfire cables.

11 Likes