What did you buy today? (Part 1)

Does anyone still make CD-changers?

I think Yamaha does have one or two models, but I was thinking about something used with digital out.

1 Like

Will keep my eyes open, maybe I stumble on something.

A very tiny amount of Koss stock, because I lke them as a company and they seem too be having a good day. Riding a small :ocean:

2 Likes

My parents joked, I should do this, lol.

Man, only if Koss would stop screwing up little itty bitty design and build issues. Then they would probably have a much larger audience in both general consumer and audiophile markets.

Edit: holy, Koss stock jumped a lot recently. Apparently r/wallstreetbets are in big on this lol

1 Like

Gamestop killed it today on Wall Street.

Yeah my buddy does all the work looking at WSB for me and tells me what up. I chose Koss on my own based on him saying if you like them and believe in them go for it. Might have some dat GME as well😉

Surely this is endgame…?

AB-1266 TC and Formula S with Powerman

To think only a year ago I bought a he4xx as my entry into this hobby and heard the 1266 tc for the first time and now I am here…

37 Likes

Next stop, Orpheus!!

4 Likes

Legacy 3 CIEM for my wife and purple Tripowin TC-01 jus t because I had some bonus points :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’m going to have to ammend this after actually using IEM’s on it (single ended via the back output, front has XLR only and I have no adapters for IEM’s). I thought there was no way in hell this would actually work or sound good. How wrong I was.

This is actually the cleanest amp I’ve used IEM’s on aside from my Hiby R5. The Topping MX3 hisses every so slightly on all my sets, SP200 has a lot of hiss on high gain, but barely audible / none on low. Ear903 has no audible background noise whatsoever unless you absolutely max the volume (at which point you won’t be needing ears if you would actually push any music through it), either way it has less noise on max volume than the SP200 has on any level at high gain. The only noise that picks up is when you turn the volume knob, but otherwise at any set volume level it’s clean.

It’s interesting to hear how much headphones scale vs IEM’s on the Harmony Design stack. Previously I would have said that LCD-2 CB or HD700 weren’t that much better than let’s say the Moondrop Starfields or Shouer Tape Pro in certain aspects, at least when comparing on the Hiby R5 and SU-8 / SP200 stack.

But listening on the D90 and Ear903 really takes all my headphones to new levels, plus it reveals the limits of the Starfields. Mind you, they still sound fantastic. But there really is quite the difference between how far you can push them versus the LCD-2 CB, especially on vocals and bass clarity. Starfields can deliver loads of bass, but it starts losing control at some point where the LCD-2 just keeps it together in a different way. Vocals are clean on both, but they’re a bit recessed and further away in comparison.

Shouer Tape Pro has a bit better control of the absolute lowest bass, but I feel overall that they lack a proper tonality. This has been my gripe with them since I got them. The details that they can produce sound fantastic, but some tracks just sound… weird, for lack of a better word. There’s just something about them that I can’t put it down well in words. I got similar vibes from reviewing the LCD 1. But in all honesty the LCD-1 just sounded wrong on so many levels, they had details but it was like everything was in the wrong place. I think the Tape Pro scales better on the Ear903 however, but the tuning is overall greater on the Starfield.

I have to say this has piqued my interest even more and makes me want to try running IEM’s balanced on it. Will have to look into adapters or getting custom cables for this.

TL;DR: This Harmony Design stack truly is magnificent and I would highly recommend it for IEM’s. With a caveat that I haven’t tried some really super sensitive sets, like the Andromeda’s.

Test music:

Billie Eilish - Lo Vas A Olvidar
Christian Löffler - Moldau
Leprous - Castaway Angels
Rhye - Intro
Rhye - Come In Closer

2 Likes

Not today, but this month:
Blon BL30 and noname sheepskin earpads, both from Aliexpress, i also got an 8 core Openheart cable for it, but that is gonna take a while to arrive.

These headphones are so flawed but they are so gooooood, the sub bass on them is awesome!

11 Likes

Just bought a modius/magnius combo (came today) with the snake oil sound wood xlr connector. Some drop 4xx with the dekoni fenestrated pads, and a custom balanced periapt cable thats still on the way . Is my upgrade from a focusrite scarlett 2i4 driving my emotiva airmotiv 4s.

12 Likes

Super cheap Walmart table for my recliner side, and the big bowls came for the 60’s

15 Likes

Whoa those keycaps are sick

Bought on amazon for 23 eur I think. Double shot ptb pretty happy with them.

wow quite the setup there glad to see you ended up pulling the trigger!

I’ll dm you in a few weeks to see what you think on the Formula S + Powerman combo with the 1266 Phi TC. It should be quite special…

1 Like

Was earlier this week, but I bought a JDS Labs OL Switcher. The shipping blew my mind! From St. Louis to my doorstep in Canada in 36 hours. Works great too.

3 Likes

So the financial panic can end, thanks to a bonus coming in a check seperate from my paycheck this week, rather then coming with next week’s as expected. Thanks to that, I could pay my phone bill, and snag a few items:

And I’ve left myself ~$250 to live off of for the next week. Should be more then sufficient.
3 Likes

Got this little monster in today. The front-end was in need.

19 Likes