What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Get a room.

6 Likes

Liquid platinum! Many thanks to @Delta9K for the great transaction!

25 Likes

I had a Parasound 2125v2 come in today. Need to find time to rearrange my gear and wire it up now. Going to be wired to my L+R channels for my 5.1 for now.

1 Like

Looking good. Glad it arrived safe. Enjoy!
:notes:

1 Like

Well yahoo! The Douk Audio U2 Pro has arrived. And I love it. I think it finishes off the system pretty well. I think I mentioned before that I decided to run coax to the M200 instead of optical. I think that was a wise choice. It cabled up nicely.

That’s it on the left. Here we go again with the Holy Shit, but Holy Shit! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: It’s really interesting what it’s done. It’s so much cleaner and more resolving than the BT connection. It has provided even more separation and width. Bass has the same hit but somehow it’s cleaner. It has also changed slightly the way the highs are delivered. It’s like, really spot on without that fatiguing treble harshness. It’s actually given the TA-20 a little edge. I really like it! But the really cool thing is the BT connection is still there whenever I wanna go back and have that sound experience. I have not tried the SP200 yet, I’ll have to wait until tomorrow for that. I’m tired and zero dark thirty comes far too soon.

To be continued…

11 Likes

Hello there! Answering this question from a while ago, I bought a used (<$1.3k) Exogal Comet Plus that arrived in the mail yesterday!

First off, I want to say a huge thank you to @Nick_Mimi who was willing to answer several of my questions about this DAC before I pulled the trigger on buying it—seriously, I really appreciate it. You’re awesome!

I’ve gotten less than a day’s worth of listening so far, but jumping to the Exogal from the Bifrost 2, I’m immediately hearing obviously more detail, even from things like YouTube videos so not even just from good sources, and I’m hearing much more coherent imaging. But despite the extra detail, the sound isn’t sharp /at all/. It’s still a very natural sound and so the DAC really doesn’t draw attention to itself. You just kind of fall into it and get used to it, enough so that I could imagine someone else picking this up and being a bit underwhelmed that it’s not more exciting or something. But I’ve been very happy with the sound so far.

In terms of on-paper usability, the Exogal also ticked a lot of my boxes: I needed something that was going to sound good over both balanced and single-ended, something that could output both balanced/single-ended simultaneously to two different amps, and something that would perform well over USB. In practice, the Exogal hits most of those but…

…um, the USB has been a journey. At first, it wouldn’t play nice with my work MacBook Pro at all, but through some series of installing software, mucking with the built-in Audio MIDI Setup, and speaking magical incantations, /something/ clicked and the Exogal now plays totally fine with my work machine. But once I got over that hurdle, holy cow my USB input was passing a lot of noise. I could literally unplug the DAC from the wall, and my Quicksilver was still picking up very audible noise just being plugged into the Exogal while it was plugged in over USB.

Unplugging every other USB input from my machine reduces the noise substantially, but yeah, expect me to make another post in this thread in a couple days going “hey, my USB isolator arrived,” lol. Also interestingly, the RNHP barely picks up any of the USB noise, even over the same RCA output, so it’s different with different amps.

Okay, I’ve rambled enough, time to listen to more music!

14 Likes

Just got two tubes in today from the Ukraine. For my LP.

12 Likes

I cracked… Still gonna be looking for the review from @ZeosPantera

4 Likes

I bought the Aria

4 Likes

Arrived yesterday, my first mechanical keyboard. GK96S wireless with Gateron Yellow. Really liking so far.

9 Likes

Girlfriend pulled the trigger tonight…

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.27.18 PM

6 Likes

Had to get in on that sale…

23 Likes

My wife said I could have these for my birthday. Bought them before she got back from the kitchen, which is plenty of time for her to change her mind.

25 Likes

These are women who change their minds every day😁.Some even at every hour.
Tell her a woman a word and of course that you love her, with the hope that she will be lenient.:blush:

3 Likes

hoping for your thought about them after you got them :thinking:

My wife does not renege on promises. Regardless of whether she ought to.

First impression while using them with the Soloist is they have great clarity/detail, just decent macrodynamics, and somewhat bright/unbalanced upper mids. Overall the sound and build make them seem more like $1k headphones than 1.8k. So still a great buy when on sale

thx for the quick response :smiley:
just out of couriosity are you planung to mod them, removing the grills etc ?

Finally snagged one of these lil guys. Perfect for pushing speakers in a smaller apartment.
(Please ignore my cables that’s a project for another day)

7 Likes

I may if I can find a good replacement grill. The one that was recommended before isn’t being sold. I tried them with the grill removed and the improvement was pretty small. So not worth risking dust getting in to the drivers imo

1 Like