What did you buy today? (Part 2)

:open_mouth:
Now that is a sweet new piece of gear! (If for some reason it doesn’t work out for you let me know… I believe in giving good homes to all “unloved” tube amplifiers :joy: )

1 Like

Lol. Tbh I quote like the aesthtic design of the packaging. Feels like a very hugh end design. I am disappointed it wasn’t a super high quality foam though.

Hahaha. Well ill let you know. I’ve had some good ear time on a wa8 before I bought though so should be staying most likely

1 Like

well, I wanted a bit of tube-ness in my stereo setup, and an option to listen to my records in the headphones. this last one became sort of a necessity since my wife, who is a translator, started taking on more work - do not want to break her concentration. I got both, my only regret is that my Echo is Mk1, so only a single input, and I need to fiddle with the cables each time I want to switch to DAC as a source. I am running Mullard PCC189 as driver tubes, this is really my first proper tube amplifier, and I really wanted that ‘tube sound’, which I got with the Mullards. I was rather disappointed with the stock driver tubes, the sound character seemed to me very close to what I was getting from Cavalli LCX + Verums when run A/B from SMSL SU-8 DAC, Mullards really did it for me. SW51+ is on its way’s coming probably end October.

1 Like

About time, been listening to him a lot lately, so only natural I add him to the collection.

4 Likes

Are you saying you fiddle with cables when you go back and forth from Turntable to dac? You could use something like a Schiit SYS ($50) which has 2 RCA input and 1 RCA output. Just have to push the switch on the front and boom no more fiddling

5 Likes

They are here. The Elegias are here. I have just been able to get them connected, no thanks to the steaming pile of Cow dung cable that was provided. It wasn’t even the Black/White fabric one they usually show. Oh no, this thing was a short, rubbery, janked up, worthless pile of dung. Absolutely terrible. Worst stock cable I have seen. It is now in the garbage. But the headphones… Oh my God. And they don’t even have 30 minutes on them yet. But now I have to friggin eat, dammit!

To be continued…

7 Likes

Dinner is done. Time to get back at it. Out of respect for others who have also made exciting purchases, I will continue this over on the Elegia thread. Carry on!

If they are gonna give a garbage cable I was hoping for the 2 tone one in the photoover the one that comes with it now. Fortunately I already had a Hart 3.5 cable for my 4xx

2 Likes

I was fortunate to have this one that I got when I purchased the Sundaras

It’s a nice cable, man! Sounds great too. This will definitely hold me until the Hart arrives. I haven’t ordered yet, but I am definitely going to. I want to take these beautiful headphones balanced.

4 Likes

Much better than the focal trash string

2 Likes

I cancelled my order for the DT 1770’s and got these instead - with obligatory Big Ass Pads ™

11 Likes

yes, this is exactly the scenario. thanks for the hint, I am aware of the products like Schiit SYS, just never got round to getting something like this so far. also, I have to be honest and state that I am a bit sceptical… from purist perspective I can’t help but feel that nothing beats plugging directly into the amp… stupid perhaps…

1 Like

I can understand that perspective. I have seen it mentioned many times by the higher up/ smarter people in here that a single ‘split’ in the system should generally pose no issues to sound quality. I use one myself and find no degradation to the sound quality and as long as you are not running super long cables you should be hear no difference. I happen to use mine in reverse (1 input and 2 output = no volume control) as it is the only way I could listen to my records and play video games at the same time. My receiver only allows the video source to be different than the audio source, if that audio source is digital.

1 Like

I know, I know… I mean, I am fully aware that it’s the idealist/purist in me talking… introducing an extra element in the chain, this sort of thing…

1 Like

Latest addition to the collection

This will be my office setup so need to buy a portable Dac/amp. Thinking ifi go blu or their hip Dac. Super easy to drive these and isolationis great. I prefer my og clears of course but this serves a different use case. Stage is small and tight but that is ok for me based upon the tuning and technical performance. Build quality is great as is comfort.

My only concern is sound bleed in the office which if I disturb my cube mates these become a no go.

Cable is a bit stubby and Jenked so probably worth an aftermarket as well.

15 Likes

Looks nicly your Auris with the leather,beautiful :+1:

1 Like

HA! I see you got the infamous rubber nightmare cable with your Elegia’s as well. Is that not the worst stock cable you have ever seen? I could not believe what I was looking at when I opened mine last night. I was expecting the fabric one that they show in images. Imagine my surprise… That cable is now in the garbage.

Once you connect a competent replacement cable and put them on, all is forgotten. As for sound bleed, my Wife says we are good to go now, so you should be good to go too. Depends on how close your colleagues are, of course. Enjoy.

1 Like

That amp looks sexy AF.

2 Likes

Just bought a short cable for my Fidelios - now they’re legit BT headphones :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I just joined the Sivga hype train!

7 Likes