What did you buy today? (Part 2)

That is good but still You are using just one channel of each amp.

A TS connector in a TRS jack will use only one channel. The T (Tip) of your connector will connect to the left channel of the amp. The right channel in the jack, that would be on the Ring contact (R) of the plug, is now connected to the sleeve contact (ground). Means the right channel is in a constant short circuit state in your configuration right now. TRS are designed to withstand short circuits because they happen all the time during plugging in and out but I would probably not leave it like this. At least use a TRS male adapter in the amp.

For a high impedance headphone you need high voltage. To get a higher voltage with 2 sources you need to connect them in serial, like two 1.5V batteries connected in a row in a remote control to achieve 3V. You can’t do this with amps.

That would be the best solution.

Question at all (and maybe summon @MazeFrame ), while I can’t hook up two amps in series to get a higher voltage wouldn’t it be possible to connect 2 amps parallel, left and right channel of both amps connected to a headphone, to achieve a higher current for like inefficient planars?

1 Like

“Bridge Mono” is what that configuration would be called, and some amps support that (usually via a switch in the back). I have never seen bridged setups with more than one amp though.

In theory possible, problem is that the amp with the lower output voltage gets “back fed”. No idea how to do this on device level, fairly simple to achieve on a component level (= with Op-Amps).

1 Like

He is using both channels not one. One channel from DAC is feed into two channels in amp and outputted in stereo SE. You can technically bridge any SE output but in this configuration it is not truly “mono” bridged it is something else… My concern is for imaging (perhaps phase but in reality it shouldn’t be an issue here for headphones unlike for speakers in a mono block configuration)

:100: TRS are the way to go in this configuration.

Potentially, a higher DAC voltage output and gain stage/control may be more effective here for what the OP needs if using a single amp. And using a single monitor controller after the dual amps to regulate volume evenly may also be helpful.

:100: agree with @MazeFrame at component level parallel would be easy but device level I am also not sure how you can achieve that.

If you want to do the power calc you will see this configuration will yield an uptick in power (not double though) but you can work out if it is more cost effective and simpler to just use a more powerful amp dependant on the higher bar for impedence / sensitivity of the headphones he is looking to drive and what their max voltage input can be. I suspect it probably would be but each to their own for how they want their setup to look and feel like.

One channel goes from the dac to both inputs of one amp. Okay.

With a TS adapter he Is still shorting out one output channel of each amp.

When he changes to a TRS connector he still needs to connect L+ and R+ (Tip and ring) of each side / amps.
Don’t think it is like that in his current setup.

2 Likes

:100: agreed - That’s why I stated in my first post that the OP needed TRS all the way up to the headphone itself - only way this works properly connection of + and - to L & R for both channels.

So in reality for the layman a custom headphone cable with dual TRS connectors is what is required. Please correct me if I am mistaken or you can see an easier way.

The other concerns listed above, I believe would still stand though even with such a connection.

1 Like

Probably best to continue the conversation in

2 Likes

The soundstage & imaging are fantastic, given the music is well recorded, mixed, & mastered. It’s perhaps better than a single amp in stereo, but I need to do more comparison. One thing I did catch yesterday on one particular song is that the digital stereo reverb & delay sounded like digital stereo reverb & delay of the time; being not so smooth, not so natural sounding. I haven’t yet heard it on a straight stereo amp to know if it blends in better. I.G.Y on The Nightfly by Donald Fagen.

1 Like

I hadn’t posted it, but I got the Olina SE on Friday. The Tripowin Noire cable showed today. I am digging the combo with the BTR5.

I have a 7Hz 71 and the QKZ x HBB IEM showing up later in the month too. I am curious to hear that budget AKM dongle.

4 Likes

Just bought a used set of Sony MDR-CD900st, this will be my first vintage headphone, I can’t wait to get them.

1 Like

Stalling some purchases till melting the backlog. Job and reviewing interfere with each other.

1 Like

Canton Sub 601.
Helps a lot to fill in a hole below 70Hz in the frequency response

12 Likes

Nice little sub but the shiney optic would be the bane if my existence :joy:

1 Like

Congrats. I feel like the addition of a sub was exactly what my speaker setup needed as well. My REL has the nice lacquer finish and I love it. Enjoy.

My Baller Tripowin Cable came it

Dekoni Pads just showed up Nice headphones complete!

4 Likes

they do custom or something new? haven’t seen anything like that from them before

1 Like

Just popped up one day on AliExpress?

I like the color.

C$ 55.08 | Tripowin GranVia 26AWG 36 Strands x 4 Core Handmade Headphone Replacement Cable for HD650 HD580 HD800 HIFIMAN ANANDA Gray
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN431IG

2 Likes

weird its not listed on their official website

1 Like

There is a purple version too looks good too. C$ 70.85 | Tripowin GranVia 26AWG 36 Strands x 4 Core Handmade Headphone Replacement Cable for HD650 HD580 HD800 HIFIMAN ANANDA Purple
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mq2hoqY

But somehow this one was less expensive Winner winner chicken dinner!

1 Like

Bought them ‚just for fun‘. I must admit, they sound ‚fun‘ :slightly_smiling_face: in a good way, at this price bracket. makes one notice the diminishing returns hitting hard on more expensive IEM‘s.

4 Likes

I want this cable so badly. But it doesn’t come with Dan Clark audio connectors :frowning:

1 Like