What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Second hand Edition X V2 arrived… Pretty happy with the purchase, sound is fast, energetic and smooth, looks like new despite getting it off Ebay without the original box etc

9 Likes

due to the generosity of a forum member, who fronted me the $$$ to get a pair of those HE-560 v4, I got the HE-560 v4…and begging / borrowing (no stealing), the funds scored a NAD 3020 for $200 CAD!

4 Likes

HEX v2 was my first big Hifiman Planar and I was sold… Gotta love that wall of sound that fills your ears !

Enjoy!!
:headphones:

2 Likes

24 Likes

2 Likes

Finally pulled the trigger on this bad boy for the bedroom today…

7 Likes

Awesome! My C1 was my big purchase before a lot of my IEMs. Great TV! Even better if you get it calibrated.

2 Likes

I bought a Hidizs AP80 with a fault display for $38 (less actually, it had an unexpected discount in cart) because I have found that Hidizs sell the replacement screen for $20.

After a few years repairing phones in the earlier days of smartphones (2012-2015) I should have no problem repairing it. I’ve emailed the Hidizs email address where the display can be purchased from, but for now they’re on their dragon boat festival.

I’m really hoping they have displays in stock, at the price the player was at I didn’t have time to communicate back and forth with a rep in China… but if they are able to sell me a screen, I’ll have a decent player/BT receiver combo for under $60.

5 Likes

Peekaboo!
These are the Dekoni Velours for Elear/Clear. Warmer sound. I like the Dekonis on the Clear. They also work reasonably well on the Elear, though I prefer the Elex pads on the Elear. Still got 2 pairs of Clear pads, one damaged.
After listening for an hour I def. prefer the Clear over the “Eleax” and already swapped the headband protection from the Eleax to the Clear (picture was taken later).

16 Likes

Im currently in the IEM recovery mode as I found myself listening to IEMs for too many hours every day, I found my old love again: loud speakers. As I moved to another country into a new 2nd apartment the empty rooms needed the sound treatment.
So two models piqued my interest, the Polk Reserve R100 and the Monitor Audio Bronze 100.

I bought both the Polk pair for full new price for 500$ and the Monitor Audio new pair for a stunningly good 250$. There was also an offer for the Kef Q350 pair for 290$. But the KEFs looked bass anemic judging from reviews and specs.
From the DAC side my stash is well developed so I needed only two amps to finish the setup for the living room and desktop nearfield. For amps I chose a class D Sabaj A10a for 140$ and a class AB Audioengine N22 for 140$. The Sabaj was my first class D and it performs reasonably well but the real surprise was the N22. On paper it looks weak (22W RMS / 40W peak per channel (AES)) but for a desktop setup this amp is pure gold. It drives the Bronze 100s huge 8" bass/mid-range driver with ease and loud at two thirds of the volume range.
The Polk R100 have an incredible well rounded sound signature. These sound really high-end. I can’t find any fault with them. As they are small bookshelf speakers they need a subwoofer to complement the picture. While not as refined as the Polks the Bronze don’t need a sub they simply pump out the fun like a boss.
Both speakers get a big rec from me. On the amp side I have to side with class AB Audioengine N22. I don’t know what it is but class AB is still king. It simply sounds more powerful, sonorous and natural.

The Polk and Monitor Audio are my first encounter with said brands and they are both excellent in their use case (Monitor Audio: Home Cinema, Desktop Setup with plenty bass, Polk: high end desktop/nearfield, Home Audio + Sub)

7 Likes

So, unexpectedly, due to the price, I have bought:

• Moondrop Variations. I am expecting the mid-bass/low mids to be a little hollowed out, and the upper mids to be a little too elevated, because Moondrop. But I am also excited to finally try these, and at least see what the sub-bass is like, I’ve heard a lot about it.

• An IEM that only 99 were made of. 10mm dynamic driver for bass and mids, 12mm planar for (mids?) and highs, and a bone conduction driver. It’s from the company-that-shan’t-be-named due to their possibly sketchy start/associations, but I reckon if it’s bought second hand I’m not supporting them anyway. It’s mean to lean to an analogue sound, and has lots of nozzles/filters, so I’m excited to mess around with it. Supposedly they were sold for £800 ($1000) new.

7 Likes

These are a fun listen so far. Plenty of bass. I don’t know if I’d want more lol.

14 Likes

these are meh, the bass department is indeed the problem.

1 Like

I mean if you are a acoustic/vocal fan these are excellent.

Picked these up yesterday. Sold them and got them back :laughing:
LCD 2.2 PF

11 Likes

:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Great news - Hidizs were quick about getting back, and can ship a replacement screen to the UK (where I’ll be soon) for a total cost of $26. I paid $34 for the player, so sure if enough if all goes well that’s a $60 AP80 which I think is a reasonable price to function ratio! I would be treating it as an ES100 that also has a screen and storage.

I haven’t actually received the broken unit yet, it was described as blurry and with lines - for all I know it’s usable to begin with. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Received my first custom order from Hart Audio Cables. Love the way it turned out, @brux

9 Likes

Ordered the Dunu Vulcan. Early reviews seem to be a mixed bag. Here’s to my fingers crossed that it’ll be worth it. If not there may a be lucky buyer able to pick one up a good used price in the near future.

4 Likes

Hifiman R2R DAC/AMP combo unit

5 Likes