What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Today was a total impulse buy. Amazon has the HD 599 going for just over $100 US. I had a pair but it was years ago before I had the experience I do now. I liked them but was never in love. I see so much love for Sennheiser on all the forums. I also had the HD 650s and did not like them. They were to me the definition of boring as far as hifi goes. I didn’t feel the same way about the lower end offerings. I just was indifferent. So saw the price and jumped on a order. And they on my head right now. Initial opinion is good. But will take my time this time around and form a opinion on them separate of other equipment I own.

2 Likes

The 599SE (the black one) was my first hi-fi headphone/earphone. It’s a really good starter headphone, I find it to be neutral in the more analytical/clinical way so it has a place when I want to use headphones, but I never find it to be the first thing I reach for.

But any time it comes down to $100 and under I think it’s a buy lol

1 Like

Finished making my 30€ ikea lack rack

12 Likes

Looks nice but still needs some audiophile spikes to ground it in the building and ruin your wood floor :money_mouth_face:

6 Likes

It was only a matter of time until I found one. Interface and hardware are all the things I’ve hoped other DAPs would be and was left disappointed. Sounds great so far!

This really might be the very first one where the click wheel is actually good to use.
Interface is fast and uncluttered.
Hand feel is king. Sound is tremendous. Battery life is looking like 1-2, sometimes 3 days no problem with the amount I’m able to listen a day. Can give a lot of power through balanced/solid state for me to check out things like the Serratus and higher impedance sets.
And despite the main novelty being the tube, which I do love, I’m very happy with the solid state implementation too.

The Serial doesn’t really have any edges to round… the Fan sounds more engaging with this!

(Cayin N3 Pro)

9 Likes

Which DAP is this btw?

Sorry, Cayin N3 Pro

I switched to this Moondrop Dawn as my permanent desktop DAC. Really cleans up desk space.

I’ll use this dongle just for my headhpone amp and my other smsl DAC just for speakers and simply switch between them.
I’ve also sets my EqApo room correction filters to only effect the SMSL DAC.

The only headphones in 4.4mm I have are my Aeon noires which this dongle obviously can’t power on it’s own (I get clipping at already 80%).
Connected to my Topping A30 Pro I get surpisingly more volume compared to the unbalanced SMSL DAC feeding it.

6 Likes

Light let there be light :bulb::high_brightness:

2 Likes

I use one of these at work. Well, actually 2 that I rotate. One on the noggin, and one charging. They are fantastic for being able to throw light just where you need it while keeping your hands free.

1 Like

I have to thank @Rinderkappajoe for the rec :+1:

New tips DDHIFI ST35 Comfortable Medical-Grade Silicone Eartips – Linsoul Audio

They have this nice spinfity flexible stem. Also they match well with woodland camouflage.

L size

9 Likes

PO100PRO to maybe replace my Douk U2Pro
another set of T300 tips because I love them
trying the Clarions since they look interesting
portables case to stuff in my bag when I go visit family for the holidays

4 Likes

I love Cayin’s DAPs. I have owned the N3 Pro before and it’s an absolutely fatastic performer and an incredible value for the price.

I was looking to buy the N6ii, but was offered a great deal on an N8ii open box from my local hifi shop so I picked it up instead and it’s an incredible DAP. Pretty much everything I have owned from Cayin has thoroughly impressed me.

Congrats on the new DAP!

Edit: I forgot what I came in here to post lol! I traded for a pair of DQSM Turandot earbuds in like new condition. These are one of the high end earbuds I have been wanting to try since I started building my collection like 7 months ago and I finally tracked a pair down. Super excited to finally get to hear these bad boys!

2 Likes

So is that a winner??

Added a little Radiance to the collection that is getting crazy but…

12 Likes

Yeah I’m loving it! It goes so well with the Serial. But our family needs a dishwasher and my wife’s iPhone SE (2016 model) is starting to have touch issues. Plus me getting psychiatry is going to cost. Unless a miracle happens, conscience is unlikely to let me keep this or just about anything else. I opened up the Olina SE I got from 11.11 sales because it might have to be a staple in the end. So far ok. The Fan costs about the same so maybe either. Having to think hard about things.

I need to do a tip order and they those T300s

Nooo!! I’m sorry to hear that. My wife’s SE is also acting up so I’ve been trying to find deals on the new one.

You dont think there is anyway you can keep the serial at the very least?

5 Likes