What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Damn near two weeks late but hey, better late than never I suppose.

8 Likes

Good luck with her, sir

1 Like

Thank you, impressions coming your way if youā€™re interested :pray:

2 Likes

Uhh yeah, letā€™s do that

Well shit. The ZMF pads for my 660S came today. And they are useless. They say right on the box that they are for the Sennheiser 6xx family of headphones, yet these things are so small there is no F-ing way they will fit on any model within this family of headphones. I mean look at this!

They HAD to have placed the wrong pads in the package. What a bummer.

Iā€™ll try and email them and explain the situation with this pic so they can see how small these pads are. I am concerned, however, because they clearly state on their web site that there are no returns on pads. Weā€™ll see I guess. What a waste of money.

1 Like

It seems they should fit according to the video they posted on YouTube. They said that they are indeed smaller than the stock, but the ring should click into place.

1 Like

I found that video. I tried but it is too small. Maybe I am missing something. Iā€™m going to watch the video again and will give it another try.

2 Likes

Good luck, hopefully it works out.

2 Likes

SUCCESS! Turns out I was being too gentle with them. And on the first one the lip of the ring was being obstructed by the leather. I did not inspect it good enough. The cool thing is that they give you this tool so that you can expose the lip. Once I got over my fear and stopped being so gentle, they snapped into place without too much trouble. SO they are on, and I must say, I think they look very nice. They are very well built. Comfort wise, I give the edge to the stock pads, but these arenā€™t bad at all. I do not foresee any issues wearing these for extended periods.

There is only one thing left to do, nowā€¦ Letā€™s give 'em a listen, shall we! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Well shitā€¦ :rofl:

These pads are the real deal. Iā€™ll comment further in the Senn 660 thread. Very happy, I am!

4 Likes

Part two of my desktop upgrade.

8 Likes

Everythingā€™s looking very goodā€¦

• They were fine with PayPal G&S
  • Checked with me what my phone number was because they needed it at the post office
  • Sent a photo of it packaged with the full Saudi Post label, and I have a tracking number
  • Communication has been solid and matches with the timing of the real life activities involved (post office trip etc)

Apparently it should be 7-10 days. If this pans out, Iā€™ll be sure to recommend this seller. I never thought Iā€™d dabble in an Argon MKIII until I saw this price.

3 Likes

Ordered a Liquid Platinum from Monoprice. Theyā€™re on sale for $339 again and I have been wanting to see how it stacks up against my Lyr. Iā€™ll keep the one I prefer and sell or gift the other.

5 Likes

That is a great price, man! I have heard great things about this amp. Canā€™t wait to read your impressions.

1 Like

It really is a great amp. I do miss it.

The only flaw, and it was a big one for me, was the high gain. And most of my collection are pretty efficient headphones.
But man, it was sweet with the Focals and the HiFimanā€™s. Didnā€™t find it amazing though with several Senn headphones.

What will you running on it?

And the price is Awesome! I paid $599.00 a few years ago and thought it was worth it.

2 Likes

Right on - Thatā€™s what it was, under $400 anyway, when I got one back in the day. Itā€™s a really fun amplifier, I liked it a lot was magic with the HEXv2, Fostex TH610 and 900 and Audeze LCD 2.2pf.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I got it to compare against the OG Lyr. I got the Lyr for next to nothing and sent it into Schiit for service where they upgraded it to a combination of Lyr 2 and 3 components so itā€™s a bit of a Frankenstein amp. One thing it doesnā€™t have is the gain switch thatā€™s on the later Lyr series amps so itā€™s always set to high gain so the high gain on the LP wonā€™t be a problem at all. I ordered a Lyr+ but ended up reselling it because I prefer the sound from my OG. I use this amp almost exclusively for driving various planars like the HE560, HE500, HE6se v1, HE6, Aeon Closed/Open X, etc. I originally got it because it was a lot of power in a reasonably small package so I could take it with me on the road to drive some of those harder to drive headphones.

The LP would essentially be auditioning to see if it can fill that role better than the Lyr, but Iā€™ll definitely try it in multiple chains with just about everything I have so that I donā€™t miss finding any special pairings or capabilities. With the price that low it seemed like a good time to snag it and give it a try. I prefer the dual 6922 family tube setup in the LP and the Lyr to the single tube 6SN7 on the new Lyrs as well as I seemed to get better results during tube rolling with both Lyr versions.

To @Raptor168 : I will definitely post my impressions, but I wonā€™t be at home with the amp until June so youā€™ll have to wait for them lol! :joy:

To @Delta9K : With all the good things I have heard about the LP, $339 just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I missed the last sale at $399 so when I saw this I jumped on it. Plus, I already have several matched pairs of 6922 compatible tubes because of the Lyr so it just made sense. And thanks for the well wishes!

3 Likes

Well fine, be that way! :rofl: No worries. I am a patient manā€¦

1 Like

A like new Sennheiser HD560S. I guess if Iā€™m going to try some headphones (Argon Mk3, Super Nova + perforated pads) this would make a good flat reference.

But really I donā€™t know why. Itā€™s on credit and all/most of these will be resold and I have no idea why I would add to my list of ā€œthings to be soldā€. Just a fool I guess.

Iā€™d officially stop myself from checking classifieds at this point but thereā€™s a chance I need to scour for an up-to-snuff sourceā€¦ thinking for now Iā€™ll see how what I have does, and if anythingā€™s going in the right direction, then Iā€™ll upgrade source to see how far that good vibe goes.

The stupidest thing is how I have 0 use cases for an open-back, except the few cases where Iā€™m working at my desk at work and need to know if people have come in or need my attention. All the other situations I listen to are either too loud, or I would be leaking too much sound, same reason I barely use buds.

I think itā€™s just to know what a neutral open-back sound like, regardless of whether it makes sense to keep and use. A reference point.

6 Likes

Same here. I have to allocate time in the morning before anyone wakes up and the street outside my house is still relatively quiet, city problems I guess. But once you do have the optimal opportunity to listen to buds or open back cans, itā€™s worth it. I have been enjoying the Sundaras so much, and A/Bā€™ing them next to the Monarchā€™s, I have to say, I may prefer the Sundaras ā€¦

2 Likes