What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Lake People G111. Upgrading from Asgard 3.

7 Likes

Glad you found one! I know it struck a chord with you :grin:

6 Likes

You never disappoint sir.

1 Like

Couple things this week:

Guideray GR i18
Sennheiser hd600
Ampsandsound black box, xlr to rca transformer

16 Likes

Also Iā€™m gonna get shit for this - but I was researching good wire wholesalers/manufacturers the other week. Gothamā€™s Ultrapro line and their 4/1 GAC wires seemed really legit. Picked up some RCA. I regret to report thatā€¦ they do indeed sound better than the Schiit PYST RCA cables they replaced. Not like changing the sound or anything just improving the stage width/depth a small but audible bit. Slightly crisper too. Cue the ASR cable deniersā€¦

1 Like

Popped up on avexchange at a great price and I couldnā€™t resist getting a big knob on my desk. Upgrading from an Atom.

17 Likes

Sweet. How long was the wait for the Black Box?
(I have one on order)

Damn, I just ordered it lol

Oh. :joy:

Itā€™s 4-6 weeks, Iā€™m told.
(I was hoping it was shorter)

3 Likes

I have a soft spot in my heart for JDS Labs. They make simple, great little pieces of equipment that punch above their price point.

Would love to hear your thoughts on upgrading from the Atom!

1 Like

These will do till I decide on something ā€˜fancierā€™.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome!

I Love my mighty little Mojo. :heart:

1 Like

Yes Iā€™ve been very impressed. It helped push me over the edge to go big on IEMs. The Mojo doesnā€™t get enough credit these days because itā€™s been around a while but it is one sweet sounding, pocket-sized piece of hifi. And Iā€™m happy to have one of my own.

1 Like

Iā€™m actually using it right now as itā€™s intended. I usually have it connected to my main system!

Glad youā€™re enjoying it. :+1:t4:

1 Like

Picked up a set of Neuman NDH- 20 and then promptly returned them because of how uncomfortable they were :frowning: Gonna save for some Argon MK3 instead i think.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say itā€™s primarily a quality of life upgrade rather than anything related to the actual sound. Every reviewer that raved about the massive knob wasnā€™t overhyping how pleasant it is to use. It is incredibly good for dialing the volume exactly where I want it very quickly.

The other major quality of life upgrade is the button activated preamp instead of having to unplug headphones to trigger the relay for the preamp out.

It was the perfect upgrade for someone who wasnā€™t unhappy with the sound I was getting.

1 Like

Thank you for the post! I researched the topic a bit more, even tho i new before that there were some type of fake tubes outthereā€¦found out that there is some sort of tube faking mafia outthere ā€¦i bought mine as a used tube, not nos from someone who sells antique thingsā€¦seller with over 20 years on the bay, but that tells nothing. I tried to check my diamond logo between the pins and it seems like its raised and not lasered. But i dont know for sure, cant see it really with the eye or my phone camera, but a cutter knife test tells me that its raised and not etched into the glass. I want to find out for sure nowā€¦You can imagine. But even if its a fake, it sounds very good in my Crack from what i can tell. I will search for some sort of lens or microscope to figure out :slight_smile:

1 Like

30 Likes

The Neumanns appealed to me for all of about 5 minutes, but I got over them because 1. never would I ever use headphones with a single-entry cable on the right side of all places and 2. theyā€™re probably too boring for my tastes - what can I say? I like a fun headphone.

I bought a 101 Classic (I think thatā€™s the model) in the same color scheme a couple years ago. Yeah, the resistance is strong - typing on it is a workout. The 7 key on the numpad is flaky, which is kind of a bummer. I left it at the office when the lockdown started, so my daily driver in the home office is an unmodded Leopold full size with the dreaded Cherry browns. I like it. A GamaKay MK61 with Gateron optical reds and pudding caps is on the slow boat from China - looking forward to experiencing that and playing with the RGB functions.

1 Like