What did you buy today? (Part 2)

How’s it sound?

Due to the current amplification characteristics, the bass sound becomes very intense.

Made a VERY small purchase recently and got it on Thursday. The very compact Schiit Vali 3 and a bunch of tubes.

IMG_20240620_172144781_HDR~3

11 Likes

Picked this up for $110 on Amazon. The Khadas Tea It’s a sleek little portable headphone amp with MagSafe for being able to magnetically put it on the back of an iPhone.

My first impressions aren’t too positive tho. I’ve only tried them with the zmf bokeh, that are 80 ohm, but boy do they sound kind of lifeless on this thing. I was just listening to them on the Muse M4 the other day Bluetooth from my desktop PC and they sounded great there. A little surprised. :pensive:

1 Like

I got this thing too because I love the form factor but agree the performance is kind of dry and bright. Had good results adding an impedance adaptor between my IEMs and the device, and with some 'phones it sounds fine, but the Qudelix just sounds better for the same price (and has PEQ and such). It’s unfortunate though because the form factor is great and I love the idea of just putting a headphone jack back onto my phone.

1 Like

100% the physical design is very nice. I like that part about it a lot. Might look into an impedance adaptor.

1 Like

I had one but couldn’t use it minimum volume was too loud for anything I’d use it for

I’m trying it some more right now. At least with my two Zmfs it technically gets plenty loud but it sounds like it’s only turning up 500hz-5000hz… it just absolutely kills the dynamics. I have no idea what is going on with this thing. It sounds pretty clean, but in an odd artificial way. I have other headphones to try. I’ll see how it goes.

Polk R700 arrived just the other day. I chose the black over the woodgrain finish mainly because they were cheaper, but I’m genuinely happy with the finish, they look great in person. Just ran them through Dirac on the miniDSP earlier today and they are sounding perfect. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Found in my mail box today Noble onyx and Fir NE4.

10 Likes

Congrats on the new speakers! If I had the room for floor standing speakers they would be on my short list. So … many good reviews and impressions on those speakers. I will sit here and be happy with my RP600m speakers for now. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Congrats bro, the bass of the NE4 hits different. Sadly i find them too bassy for my preferences :frowning:

Thanks!! Yeah a buddy has a Rn6 and says it can be pretty silly.

1 Like

Definitely not the intention, I just made some great trades to be able to own these at the same time.
Enjoy the mattress probably the most important piece of furniture ever.

2 Likes

Thought I’d use the aliexpress summersale to stock up on tips. I might have overdone it.
I’m curious about Baroque tips though, they look suspiciously similar to the Spiral dots (which I love)

14 Likes

Trn t-tips are a crazy deal at sale prices

I should have thought of stocking up or trying new eartips during the sale.

2 Likes

I’ve been a sceptic of Chord products since I’ve started the hobby. While Robb Watts seems like a plenty knowledgeable guy, the way he proclaims everyone else being wrong about their approach to DAC design, on top of other lofty proclamations always rubbed me the wrong way. But I have to hand it to them, the Mojo 2 is ridiculously good. Picked up an ‘open-box’ for $550. I’m REALLY surprised how good it is. I’ve had the unit for a few days now and it’s so good I’ve leaned towards using it even when I have the bifrost/WA7 readily available and at-hand ready to use. It’s so good, I’ve decided to save myself $1000 and return the S9c/S17 Pro Aune Stack and rely on this for my setup away from my primary desktop setup. It’s also a better compliment to the tubey, warm WA7/Bifrost combo.

The Chord Mojo is comparatively very lean sounding, but not in the way I’ve heard from Topping or the recently purchaseed Khadas Tea. The low-end still hits hard and has plenty of body, but the separation in the sound-stage is ridiculously good. It sounds very detailed without sounding thin or sibilant. Both the ZMF Atrium and Bokeh both sound great. I’ve also tried the HD 6XX and it elevates them REALLY well. It may even best the Bifrost purely as a DAC. It’s that good. I don’t really expect anyone to believe me when I say how good it is, I wouldn’t believe me, but it’s just really that good. Just have to try it and decide for yourself. I’d love to know if others have felt the same about it, especially if you were scepticle as well to begin with.

The DSP for being able to setup custom EQ is also REALLY REALLY well done, IMO. It’s only 4 band, but they chose them well. Sub-Bass roll off adjustment, a general bass shelf, ear-gain adjustment, and a 20khz roll-off for hearing loss compensation.

My only major gripe is the use of micro-USB, but that’s apparently to keep it compatible with the now 6-year-old Poly wireless module that was released with the Mojo1. It still has USB C for data but requires Micro-USB for charging. My work-around has been to get a magnetic cable adapter with a pivoting head to reduce the need to keep pulling a cable in and out and reduce overall wear on the port.

10 Likes

Although I did not buy them today, I received them yesterday. I bought a bunch of tuning mesh filters in different sizes and densities from an Aliexpress store which I have purchased from before. As before, I had excellent communication with the store since their shipping price dramatically increases when you add additional sets of filters to your cart. I simply asked them to add several additional sets of filters to my order which I had not included in my cart in order to offset the automatically generated overall shipping cost. The store agreed to do this, and they did. Again, communications with this store were excellent. It is clear that they want happy customers. I am going to have some fun seeing how I can potentially tweak some dirt cheap IEMs and some of my other IEMs.

3 Likes

Congrats, man. They look fantastic.

1 Like