What did you buy today? (Part 2)

That splitter is a lot chunkier in person isn’t it?

1 Like

ok boys and girl. i dont know if this is the right thread but its close. ok so i just got my first speaker tube amp read below . image

I feel i have been lied to!, this blew my mind , the emotion was instant. and the tone changed completely on my MTM encore speakers from GR research. i have been stuck between the measurement people and the subjective people for a year now. i feel as though the measurement people have lied to me about tubes and distortions. this 30 watt tube amp blows my ncore amp out of the water except in detail. i thought NCORE was top teir sound? its not even close. i thought most dacs sound the same but now i just AB tested my brand new IFI xdsd line out DAC vs my shciit modi 3 + and it has that tube sound as well! how can zeos not hear this? again i feel lied to and am re thinking my next purchases to all be tube. (bottlehead crack and pre amps). sorry for long post but it is about new purchases, is there a better active thread for this?

13 Likes

Tubes definitely put some magic into the music. It might not be accurate, but its certainly has something that can’t be replicated otherwise. Currently my only tube is the darkvoice, but even in that, its pretty clear what tubes can do. Measurements are important, but what you hear and and it makes you feel are far more important.

1 Like

when we look for new gear to buy yes measurements can tell you things. however my problem is more the ideas being pushed that shift people to buy different things. we are at a point that many people would make fun of you for buying good cables or tubes. it must be multiple zeroes less distortion or its not “better” i just feel like i woke up from a coma lol anyways dont want to de rail anything here but its safe to say i will be buying some blue jeans cables for both systems and buying things based on many peoples opinions with measurements only to tell me if the engineering is bad or its broken. im very happy actually much more rabbit holes i can get myself into =)

In the end you don’t listen to measurements, you listen to music (or any audio) through your equipment and if you like how that sounds then that is great. If you don’t then forums like this can help you improve it.

Chasing measurements is a zero sum game in that there will always be something better out next year that you need to buy to go from 0.005% to 0.0001%. If you can find enjoyment in what you are listening to then that is the end goal.

If cables, tubes or DACs, etc helps you to enjoy your music more then go for it.

2 Likes

New toy arrived today

36 Likes

very pretty shane

Picked these up locally today for $80. The look of these crack me up - you would sware they are garbage speakers, but then you see they are $300 new and sound absolutely amazing for their size.

15 Likes

Thank you! I am pretty jacked. Have been looking at it for a few years.

2 Likes

oh… gosh, Shane :flushed:
manly

This is the setup you can power those huge Electrostats with, correct?

No sir, that is a different amp. This is just for regular headphones.

Oh, OK. My bad. This has a very similar look to it. I dig it. Congrats. It’s so nice when you can finally grab what has been on your mind for a while!

I am waiting for tracking info now.

You are right they they are similar. The other one is this unit, the Pro iESL (which also uses the Pro iCans power):

6 Likes

got in some lights today so another desk light, may put one on the floor i haven’t decided yet if it’s too much or not so let me know if you think it looks off or if you just think it looks silly

yeelight color bulb

14 Likes

Nice. Ultimately this is what I would like to do with my space. Nothing crazy, just something similar to your treatments there to set a nice ambiance. Sometimes I will go find one of those nice campfires that they have on Youtube and have it going while I listen.

Some additional Hart cables :slight_smile:

16 Likes

GL1200s came in today. Running them off a Jotunheim R with an adapter.

They’re easily the largest headphones I’ve used. First impressions sound wise are… interesting. I’ll be posting my thoughts in the GL1200 thread later on.

:large_orange_diamond: GoldPlanar GL1200

17 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion @FBizzle, this little bugger is a beast, it has some heft to it and is way bigger than the Audioquest Jitterbugs i normally use. :flushed:

14 Likes

Just bought an iBasso DX300 from a gentleman on Head-Fi. Should be here in about a week or so. It should be able to power my Ether C Flow 1.1s very nicely.

10 Likes