What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Usually that’s due to personal experience and how it sounds to them tbh

An argument could be said there that the Toyota is more practical, but I get what you’re saying

That makes sense, I was just wondering since when it comes to dacs I personally am more interested in the parts that aren’t shown in frequency response graphs like the macro and micro dynamics, detail, clarity, soundstage and imaging etc.

1 Like

Actually that’s the reason why some people in this hobby have reservations about measurement.

A Bugatti measures better than Camry if you set the benchmark as speed. If you set the benchmark as which car consumes less petrol, and more environmental friendly, or which car has the best price/performance value, or which car is more suitable for a family (which are all valid factors for anyone to consider in car purchases), then you will get a different answer as to which car is “better”. The problem is you already assume we are comparing speed and speed is the only benchmark for “performance”, which is in fact pretty subjective, since others don’t necessarily agree speed is or should be the benchmark, yet call it “objective measurement”. Indeed, the numbers about speed are objective, but the moment you decide those numbers, and those numbers only and nothing else (such as petrol consumption) determine what is good and bad, it becomes subjective.

Not here to change minds either

10 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Still not here to change minds, but aren’t subjective experiences just valid on their own and do not require proof? Genuine question, how do you use measurements to prove one bottle of wine tastes better than another? Or do you measure the pH value or sth and decide which should taste better?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Why are you getting annoyed with me? I’m just trying to explain why people see things differently to you.

At the end of the day, a frequency graph for example can only tell you so much, you will have a different preference to me. If measurements meant everything then everyone would have the same gear at their respective price points.

I am not, I told you I am not here to change anyone’s mind. It’s a valid point and not every disagreement has to be personal. Apologies if I gave you this misimpression.

Until Topping D90SE Pro Max Plus comes out? Will probably come out this time next year though, so make sure every second counts. And hey, no one is here to deny your subjective experiences, after all your eyes are your eyes.

Thanks, I will, but I never said my gear is superior, all I asked was a question whether you heard an audible difference regarding the better dynamic range, since you said better measurements equate to better sound quality. On the contrary, I very much acknowledge that from the measurements you set as the benchmark, all my DACs are inferior, I simply disagree with the assumption that better measurements mean better sounding.

Hence I asked if you heard an audible difference, and if you do, that might mean the measurements may equate to sound quality.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

That’s fine by me, you and I disagree, and I wouldn’t take it as you are trying to fight with me.

Can’t argue with that either, although disagree with the analogy/comparison with the relationship between measurements dictated by ASR and sound quality

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

For performance you want a tesla on a track. Guess thats why the race organization sets rules.

So not to pit apples to oranges.

Measurements, fr graphs, etc. to me are like maps. You can look at a map and see the path, direction, elevation, etc. but they don’t tell the whole story. It’s not until you travel and experience the actual road or land that you get the whole story. Kind of like listening to the gear, you’re actually traveling the terrain for yourself.

OTL amps are amazing with certain headphones, but won’t measure well. Other tube amps can be used with a wide variety of headphones, like fostex that are more sensitive, but they still won’t measure as good as a thx789.

An example is Jude in the video below. He mentions the Harman target and how certain headphones measure alike but sound completely different. What matters is the sound. You can find it at the 2:00 mark. Thought that made a lot of sense in my eyes.

And personally I wouldnt worry about what others think. Enjoy your gear if you like it, but I also wouldn’t die on the measurements hill.

I had a thx789 a while back. Great measurements, but can be harsh with just about every headphone (in comparison to others available in the same price range). I bought the dark voice, which is cheaper, measures worse and it was much more enjoyable with my 300ohm headphones. Bought an rnhp and it wasnt even close if you’re focused on the enjoyment factor and worked well with the more sensitive gear.

5 Likes

That’s fine, and that’s your opinion

Still don’t agree, not sure how it’s to do with the quality of recordings. Or is it another contest about who has better recordings?

Pretty sure if you say you want the best measuring gear no one will recommends a Bifrost 2 to you, so instead of trying to blame others for misleading you maybe think about whether you asked the right question in the first place

3 Likes

Guy. guys please be reminded of the thread title and please try and keep things on topic…if you feel the need to continue your discussion on personal preferences and graph related stuff then please feel free to start your own thread or keep it to pm’s

:beers:

12 Likes

Lets get a measuring thread going people.

Might as well argue that the guy with a 5 mm longer dick is a better lover.

10 Likes

If anyone wants to then I’m happy to move over all the comments on here so far as long as posts stay civil or just start afresh? :+1:

3 Likes

Heck yeah, i got questions. Members might have stage fright aurthoring a thread. Some of us are growers not showers.

I could re-post more. Not starting a fight? Really?

Per Ohmboy’s post… I knew where this was heading. It’s unfortunate there are members here that are waiting for an opportunity to fight (no matter how much they insinuate they “honestly” are really interested in your opinion when they only want ammo to fight you and prove whatever their personal agenda is even when I have clearly stated I am not interested in a fight.

I can’t freely and openly discuss my opinions & findings about the new gear I just received when other members really aren’t interested in what I have to say and will obviously fight or disagree with anything/everything I say.

I was more than happy to discuss my reactions with anyone here. I love talking about gear, but I’m not interested in fighting/arguing/disagreeing over why objective measurements that prove something is good, better or worse than something else just do not matter.

2 Likes

A lot of members on here love the BF2 and are generally curious as to why you choose to part with it the night you got your topping dac.

1 Like