What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Yeah I’m pretty sure it is one since it has pre out functionality

So they came.
First impressions… Ultra light. Very comfortable, but not as comfortable as hd600/650. Definitely more comfortable than sundara.
. First sonic impressions, they got some subbass. It’s not to say they’re bassy, they just don’t have this roll off of subbass that hd650 do.
The hd650 are definitely more warm, but r70x have a bass line that is definitely more satisfactory for me. That’s the most noticeable difference. Going forward the rest of the frequency range seem to be very very flat but not boring. They’re very easy to listen to, like hd650 but more airy, brighter. They definitely don’t have any boosted trebles, they’re not super detailed because of that but they make for a nice listening experience.

I have to say they’re really easy to like for me. I like them a lot.

I tried pad rolling and I noticed that brainwavz angled sheepskin leather pads fit them and they’re not changing sound, at least I can’t hear a difference. That’s a big plus for me.
Some other pads I tried, like brainwavz velour or hybrid pads were changing sound quite a bit, making them brighter, taking some bass off in exchange of treble.

They’re a bit harder to drive than hd650 and sundara but not much, it’s in the same ballpark. Atom can run them easily.

Tried autoeq preset for them and it doesn’t change sound much but makes them more fun.

In comparison to sundara, sundaras are more detailed and they separate better but it’s not to say r70x doesn’t separate, just sundaras are bit better in that department.

Soundstage isn’t too big, it’s smaller than akg k702, it’s similar to sundara.

Summarising, I would describe them as very natural, not forgetting about subbass, easy to listen to, very inoffensive.

I’m really glad I bought them, they’re staying with me for sure.

15 Likes

In anticipation of the TA-20 balanced tube amp’s arrival I got this:

NewFantasia HiFi Cable 4-pin XLR Balanced cable for the Sundaras. When I first took it out of the package I kinda went “Meh”, but as it turns out it’s a nice cable. Sounds great!

10 Likes

I have that cable and it works very well and at a good price.

1 Like

The Ares II added to the rats nest.

14 Likes

Some music:

Edit: I have been using “Beginnings of Decay” from the All Hallows’-Album as a test song for a couple of years. Now having the full album, I was missing out!

7 Likes

Just picked these up locally today for $50. Said she got them as a gift and didn’t like them, so selling. Even if they sound like crap I figure I can flip them and make a few $$$.

14 Likes

What a steal! Thats a deal. @elementze

3 Likes

Well worth $50 IMO. Nice snag!

2 Likes

Best friend sent me a birthday present :gift: he decided it was time to fully indoctrinate me into the 2 channel vinyl cult.

I could not be happier, I have avoided these things for years knowing what a money-pit they can be….oh well I’m very pleased to show off my first ever record player, a unit from Pro-Ject.

31 Likes

Dang, nice friend you have there! Welcome to the cult of music media past.

2 Likes

Nice! Quite the birthday gift…looking forward to thoughts

2 Likes

Yes, it was a super great, awesome gift. Unfortunately i know nothing about turntables and now need to figure out what else i need to make this thing go🤔
I will also need a few records…it really was a big surprise, he’s been threatening to send one for years and he finally did it :joy:

10 Likes

All you need to know is, two turntables and a microphone. :slight_smile:

Congrats, now you must buy albums. Next year, there will be a room in your house just to hold the album collection, they’re quite bulky I understand. lol

4 Likes

Love the Beck reference! :laughing:

1 Like

Arrived today!
One available on amazon:

12 Likes

It’s here. Almost 10 days early. I am, how you say… pleasantly surprised! And even though I have busted arse all day, I had a good ride home which gave me a second wind. So when I got home and saw that smile on my Wife’s face (she knows I am waiting for this thing) I got excited. And yes, it’s been hooked up for nearly two hours now. These pics are pretty bad but you will get the jist!

Oooooooh, tube glow. Kinda cool I must say.

Honestly I think they are doing a little LED magic there, but hey, it’s cool. Reminds me of when I had my radio station up. I had some nice tube rigs. The tube glow chasing static at 0300 was a nice place to be. But how does it sound, you ask?

Well, I only have less than 2 hours on new tubes, but I am smitten. FLAC over Fubar completely balanced all the way to the Sundaras… it’s simply amazing to me. I have Best of Sting going right now and holy shit, so haunting and exotic.

The sound stage is already so wide and deep; way past the physical realm of the head phones, if that makes any sense. The bass hit is completely different from the SP200, but it’s strong and warm. The detail is very sharp. Subtle percussion is right there. This amp has somehow moved mids to a different place than where the SP200 projects them. It’s hard to explain beyond that, but it’s really interesting. Vocals are sublime. Guitars are heavenly. Piano is… yes, I’m smitten.

Lastly, I have to say that this M200 DAC is doing a damned fine job feeding this amp. I think it’s a wonderful pairing. Perhaps I have stumbled onto something.

9 Likes

Great to hear! Happy listening.

1 Like

Great to see another CBL fan :+1:

1 Like

Always a soft spot for me with the TA-20. A very under the radar amp in the hobby, enjoy.