What did you buy today? (Part 1)

Bought literally my end game earbuds or should be. these are custom made to order from thailand really want so see what thai fi is up to

9 Likes

hmm, the tuba sounds like a great buy. 650$ and can be used on planars. i’m really curious about it

Kinda but not really. If you wanted something more suited to planar in that price range the liquid platinum is a better pick imo. The tuba is more suited towards dynamic

3 Likes

@flotsammy looking forward to hearing your impressions, that unit looks like a great all around piece. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Ohh @Andrew_Davis i’m so jealous and want to know what you think of it once you have had time to try it out on a few pieces… very nice and congrats!

2 Likes

Copying this here… about the FX Audio Tube-03 I got yesterday.
Edit: Look at the reply.

1 Like

It’s biggest selling feature, to me at least, is the ability to play nice with low impedance headphones. Much like Mapletree Audio, that is their niche.

I spoke to a couple of Mapletree owners who weren’t overly impressed. I asked them what they were using and they listed several headphones. NONE were low impedance?

From what I have read, these are Grado amps that can also drive the HD600’s pretty well. But there are probably lots of amps that will make the HD600’s and above perform much better.

There are a decent amount of tube amps that have low impedance outs at different price points, I think the overall performance for the price is what I think is stand out about the tuba, it’s got a unique sound

If all your headphones had at least a 200 Ohm impedance, would you buy or recommend this amp?

I still would yes, but I think that would also open you to many more options for tube amps that might meet a better price point or have a different sound

Fair enough.

There are a lot of tube amps I haven’t heard, so take it with a grain of salt, but IME I wouldn’t buy any tube amp for Planars alone. The Tuba sounds OK with the low impedance planars I have, and I still don’t like it with the Focals, but planar’s wouldn’t be the reason to buy it for me.
It’s still got a 5 Ohm output impedance, and I’ve always thought the 10x rule ought to be an absolute minimum.
If you want to drive low impedance headphones and want a tube sound, buy a hybrid, like the liquid platinum. If you want a pure tube sound, buy headphones with a higher impedance.

3 Likes

Thank you! I set an eBay alert so I got an email as soon as it went on sale. Haha. It went on sale in the evening and I bought it at 7am the next morning. :grinning:

2 Likes

one for the porta’s one to attempt k

Another beautiful periapt cable for my t60’s.

16 Likes

what do you think of your Porta One’s? what are their strengths and weaknesses in your opinion?

Where? I want!! :slight_smile:

One going on UK Ebay…

4 Likes

I don’t even have the main amp back yet… but these LCD X’s are friggen amaze balls. If you ever get the chance to audition a set, I recommend it.

3 Likes

And the dx160?

You know what. I can certainly say that these are the best Eyeglasses I have ever heard so far. Imaging could be better.

Just a little thicc, but they are still light.

6 Likes