What did you buy today? (Part 1)

Sweet! I would love to get my hands on one of these

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s actually a “sweet” little DAC. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s very smooth, yet resolving. It doesn’t exhibit the excessive noise filtering that I heard on the Chord Hugo TT2. It’s not as widely staged either, but it sounds really good paired with the RNHP.

I’m enjoying it.

7 Likes

Atom Dac meet Atom Amp.

23 Likes

I love all your kit and especially the rack, the cable management though, my OCD…left eyeball twitching…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

2 Likes

Yes well, half the cables you can see are disconnected, and I haven’t rerun them since I moved all the shelves In the rack to accommodate the lampizator.
The cat hair on the desk is more of an annoyance to me :wink:
Trying to decide If I want a second rack to accommodate some of my other amps.

1 Like

Well… I must appologize to my bank account and my wallet… But I just pulled the trigger on which speaker amp to go with…

Bought this fucker that @Towa was selling… But hey… Zen/TA-10>BasX A-100>C93 ii
Happy Birthday to me. Gonna hit up the liquor store to try and snag some Scotch or whiskey to go with my steak tomorrow.
14 Likes

Oh wow, so they finally put it out! i wonder how it sounds

1 Like

Ordered myself a set of Harmonicdyne Helios with the discounts from linsoul, looking forward to seeing whether or not I like them :grin:

1 Like

Let us know. I’m interested to hear your thoughts. Specifically what you think of the treble. We’re getting a lot of conflicting reports lol.

1 Like

Thanks ebay. $35 well spent :slight_smile:
Side question: should I run these balanced?

13 Likes

No need tbh…What you running them off?

ifi hip dac. Whoops probably should have mentioned that

“BAL: 400mW@32 Ohm ; S-BAL(SE): 280mW@32 Ohm” …so unless you’re having low volume problems?? lol …then it’s not worth it getting a 3.5mm TTRS or 4.4mm cable imho…A great Dac/Amp enjoy :+1:

1 Like

Pulled the trigger on the A-100 today, 2/3 the way to god tier lol

5 Likes

My Tungsram EL84 tubes arrived. They are the ei branded Tungsram tubes.

Evidently the Yugoslavian military requested more rugged tubes than ei, so they reached out to Tungsram (Hungary). When they received the tubes, ei still put their logo on them to portray the actual ei tubes as not being inferior…not uncommon for communist countries (ei was Yugoslavian state owned).

This is fascinating to me. The silver burn flashing on the side is how you can tell apart a regular ei from a Tungsram ei branded EL84 tube.

20 Likes

Interested in what you think, the tungsram are what I ended up with in my Tuba.
Mine are Tungsram branded, but it’s not uncommon for tubes manufactured by one manufacturer to be branded by another.

2 Likes

Well it was too good to pass up, should serve me well as a portable set of closed backs.

20 Likes

How long do NOS tubes last? I see new production like my EML lasting 10,000 hours.

Depends if it is military spec or not, military issued tend to last longer because of more rugged manufacturing processes.

NOS are usually going to be similar 10000 hours, some military tubes had longer lifetimes upto 30000 Hours but a lot depends on how New the N in NOS is.
A lot of what gets sold as NOS (especially on Ebay) isn’t, it’s used with NOS like measurements.
I usually figure 2-3 years of decent use (or when they fail) for replacement, I know people who do it annually, but it’s not necessary.
My speaker amps have a manual Bias adjustment on them for each of the tubes and a Bias meter, and the real rule is replace if you can’t Bias them.