What did you buy today? (Part 1)

@FiCurious Thanks! I’d love to hear the opens at some point to see the difference. That sucks on the Eikons. I hate when that happens. I’ve heard the Open Xs are supposed to be very good as well.

Absolutely worth every penny, had them for a week on demo. I’m contemplating on pulling the trigger at a pair that costs 900 myself, simply because I can’t get them any cheaper due to shipping / import costs and whatnot, so might as well sponsor a local store.

1 Like

Three great albums…

…and a Capistrano cable :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I have been meaning to pick these up… Love what these guys can do and the talent they work with.

5 Likes

Impulse bought a nerf gun

15 Likes

So, I’m making my own BT speaker box for my basement work area. I’ve been ordering everything over time as I don’t own any wood working tools, so those need to be gotten over time.

There too many things I’ve gotten to list here but here are the important bits…

Arcane Stash Box Rolling Tray Combo With Spline Reinforced Corner Joints (11 x 8 x 4.5 inches and almost perfect for my application)

2x Dayton Audio RS100-8 4" Reference Full-Range Driver

2x Dayton Audio ND105-PR 4" Aluminum Cone Passive Radiator (These probably weren’t needed, but if they don’t help much it’s fine.)

DAMGOO 50W+50W Amp Board with Treble and Bass Control, Bluetooth 5.0 and AUX Input (I’ve already tried this and it’s pretty good actually. Distortion happens if you go loud, which might be the speakers hitting their limit, but I’m not looking for super loud. I might even step down the internal voltage to help with this. Otherwise it has impressive performance for the price and for what it is.)

It will have a laptop 3 prong 120v input on the back and a switch, which will lead to the internal power supply. The amplifier board won’t be able to be seen, just the flush mounted knobs for adjustment, the speakers/radiators, a status light, a flush mounted aux jack, and the flush mounted power switch/input.

Here’s a picture of the wholly unlabeled schematic I’ve done for fitting and planning cuts (be kind it’s my first attempt in Fusion 360):

(Front, Back, Left Side, Right Side. Units = mm)

I originally wanted it to be mono, but I had the room/budget for stereo sooooo… v0v

I had to source parts from all over so I have to wait until next weekend to start work on it. I started a progress post in the DIY section. Although I don’t have a good way to record how it sounds, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

10 Likes

It is finally here my friends, time to see and hear how it sounds for I am going to need a time listening with these ones on for a whole day.

21 Likes

Mullard tubes to try out when my tube amp comes in. :+1:

13 Likes

Figured it was a good way for me to switch from my PC Toslink out to USB, this has enough connectivity that I can plug multiple DACs to it. The price was right so, how could I resist?

6 Likes

Got another assortment of short adapters from Geekria / Amazon.

My nicer Eidolic adapters have an angled 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male, and I needed a straight one for my Elegia headset (which is still using an older balanced cable and had been hijacking one of the angled adapters, which looked pretty odd). Figured I’d just collect a set that I can give to my wife so that it’s easier to keep track of them.

12 Likes

Gilmore Lite mk2 arrived earlier today.

After an hour listening to the Gilmore Lite Mk2, my early impressions are that it is one of the most neutral amps I’ve heard. It does share a lot of similarities with the RNHP. I believe the RNHP is better as far as the presentation of space, especially vertically. The Gilmore Lite Mk2 has a bit more width, but nothing like the G111. Honestly, the Gilmore Lite Mk2 is like a perfect middle ground between the RNHP and the G111.

24 Likes

I am happy that she’s seeing use. Enjoy!

1 Like

My forza cable came in today, feels so nice and sounds really good so far

20 Likes

Did you paint the jot knob?

These are SO cheap, how can you not? :laughing:

Amazon.ca is charging $217.00 in Canuck bucks (about $165.00 in US$'s)

I should mention they are the M570’s from Monoprice.

11 Likes

After feeling so good about my new Forza Cable for my ZMF Eikon I decided to go ahead and take the plunge on a new cable for my Focal Clear Pro as well…

Went with a silver plated Copper (OCC) Mongrel Cable from OIDIO Sound in the UK with a nice matching color scheme to go with the Pros.

https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/focal/mongrel-elear

Now i’m done buying cables for a little while :smile:

13 Likes

regardless of how cheap they are I can name several headphones much cheaper that I much more enjoy than the unit I bought from that same store front. still leaves a bitter after taste. I have tried the aiva since then so I dont think I would really enjoy any aiva clones defective or not in the first place for the price thats pretty awesome though provided you like the sound of the aiva and you get no issues with that unit. but heres to hoping you get the rare good pairs of those cans

I’ll find out next week. I bought from Amazon so if they sound “wrong”, I will return them.

1 Like

That’s awesome. I suggest contacting them and paying for shipping via another shipper other than Royal Mail/USPS. Mine have been in USPS limbo for close to three weeks.

JT is super helpful.

Cheers!

eh… i can wait, it was free shipping so can’t complain lol

thanks for the advice though

2 Likes