What did you buy today? (Part 1)

Canceled the other purchase and bought this, along with an 10’ HDMI and DisplayPort cable.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=37921&gclid=CjwKCAiAjMHwBRAVEiwAzdLWGPTUbQUgsq05dtS2LU4VYXeIGfhXLdUhmhTMFD7trIg3jcwLAxNGoRoCuYkQAvD_BwE
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30101&cs_id=3010101&p_id=13781&seq=1&format=2

1 Like

hell yeah, acer makes good products. I hope you like it. also those are some nice looking HDMI cables. You may not need them tho, not sure what cables the monitor will come with you’ll just have to wait and see.

that’s a lot of pads

It comes with an HDMI, but I’ll be routing it behind the unit the monitor will be on to a lower section before going back to the front and connecting to my laptop. The HDMI cable I have now gets kinda snug. The DisplayPort cable will be routed the same way, but will need to go a little farther to connect to my desktop. The 6’ cable I have now won’t reach if I try routeing it that way.

oh ok, yeah routing cables is a pain. and it gets real easy to need a long one when you got to take the time to snake it smoothly down and around walls and corners.

1 Like

That’s the space I’m currently working with. The laptop will be kept about where the speakers are in the picture, and the speakers will be replaced with the iLoud Micros I picked up Monday. I’m swapping out my R3 1200 to an R5 1600, and HD 6970 to RX 570. The monitor is probably gonna get trashed as the base of the stand was broken off when it was given to me and won’t stop falling over (it’s IPS and 1080p, but it’s old(hence the giant bezels), 22" and only 60Hz (won’t even take an OC)).
Also, why does the school care? Excellent question. Ask Job Corps, and they’ll probably say it’s DOL policy. It’s their usual finger pointing game they play to avoid responsibility.

those are some pretty decent upgrades and oc on the cpu and gpu and you got a sick 1080 p gaming setup. I had a couple offriends go through that one required them buy them a macbook. and the other forced them to buy a school laptop with i7’s and 1070 maxq’s at the time. but couldnt even download steam and play games on them

honestly they should of just found a way to lie or cheat the requirements.

When the other guy changed courses that require him to buy a MacBook he refuse bought a gaming laptop used it. The only downside to doing so was he didn’t get help from the teacher when anything technical happenmed. Thankfully he was smart enough to use Google

the one thing I learned from uni was to always look to solve problems to maximize your own benefits. buy the book? no get a used one or find a torrent of it if you can. need a laptop? find out exactly way and get the laptop that does that plus what ever you need regardless of schools suggested purchase.

@RiceGuru
The 1200 I have rn is OC to somewhere between 3.8-3.9Ghz @ 1.38V (should memory serve correctly). The 16GB(2x8GB) of RAM is set to 2933 CL 14. Definately plan on OC.
@MarlFox
They’ve broken out a tape measure on people they’ve suspected where bringing in a screen beyond the limit. I figure I could get away with a 25", but not a 27".

Hmmm, I wonder why they would put a limit on how large of a screen you can bring in

suppose you could claim hard of sight and you needed a bigger screen and preventing that is discrimination against disability.

2 Likes

nice your lucky I managed to get my 1300x to just hit 4 and my ram is also currently set to 2933 but I do have my eyes set on a 32 gig 3600 mhz right now as ram is getting cheaper again

Improvise adapt overcome lol

It’s Job Corps and US Department of Labor. You’re thinking about things rationally, meaning you’re thinking about things wrong. They LOVE playing the “what if” game to the level of unhealthy infatuation. Hell, to them, the best place to put a microwave is on your mini-fridge, cause it could cause a fire if placed on a wooden table or dresser.

1 Like

That’s all you needed to say lol, I fully understand now

Lie, Cheat, be a winner.

They’d say to just get glasses, and I don’t have a pre-existing “accommodation” for it. I’d need to get the medical staff to sign off on making one, and even then, they have the argument of adjusting the system settings.

I have to deal with dumb management all the time, but i get the feeling you have to work with toddlers with paychecks.

1 Like