What did you buy today? (Part 1)

Have fun with it.:wink:
It hart see is not possible to buy in Europe apart Audiophonics for 1200€.
And a Import with fees can be it a bit exspensiv.

I bought that same one. I used it when I had a set of phones that had no 4pin xlr cable and I only had Hart cables (no xlr interconnect) but had a Hart 4.4mm interconnect. Used it until I got a couple Hart 4pin xlr interconnects. It did a great job and allowed me to use those cans on the MLP while waiting for the proper interconnects.

Yeah, I picked it up for $40.00Cdn. I contacted Hart since I already have a set of cables and interconnects on the way. They wanted about $100.00US for the cable, with shipping. I decided to go with the adapter and hope it works well.

4 Likes

Picked up some stock Fostex T60RP on eBay last night. Should be here next week. Oh man…that wood though…

4 Likes

Harmony Design Ear903 Amplifier
Harmony Design D90 DAC

Actually ordered back in early-mid December shortly after my upgrade conundrum thread. Finalized over a couple of emails with the maker, finished build around the 23rd of December. Then shipped on the 11th and arrived today in a wooden box.

I don’t think I’ve made a purchase in my life that has felt as premium as this. Maybe my custom Nakaya fountain pen comes close. The finish is just sublime on this stack.

Yes, it sounds as good as it looks.

26 Likes

Not a mainstream stack, would love to hear what you think of it when you have time to fully soak it in.

1 Like

I’ve loved Harmony Design’s philosophy and quality ever since I first came in contact with them in early 2001 or 2002. I read about them in Hifi & Musik and they were very well received there, as well as by some magazines in Germany. A close friend of mine had the Ear90 amplifier in its base version and I just loved how it sounded with Sennheiser HD600.

In the end I ended up getting myself an Ear90 of my own, had it for half a year or so. Sent it on an upgrade for a new top-of-the-line ELMA volume potentiometer, something my friend likes to joke about as I paid 180€ for it or thereabouts haha. A year later I got myself the DA9 DAC which settled me with what was among the absolute top-end of headphone rigs at the time. It was Harmony Design and Benchmark pretty much fighting for the top reviews here. Sure there were other brands in way higher price categories, but it was just something different, not necessarily better.

But that’s the thing with HiFi in general, there’s always something out there that is more expensive or extreme.

As for the Ear903 and D90. Holy shit. I thought the dynamics and soundstage was amazing on the previous stack. But this definitely takes it up a notch. There is such control over every finite detail, and this is what I love about Harmony Design. There’s a sense of air between everything, like every intstrument or chord has been given its own space in the mix. There’s just enough space so that you can individually place all of it in a room, listen about and pick up on that one thing. This is not to say that it’s overly analytical and sharp like I feel with the THX gear.

No, this amp just and DAC just takes perfect control over everything. It has tremendous amounts of power and I would not recommend anyone use IEM’s on this setup at all. There’s just too much amplification. But it makes any and all of the headphones I’ve put on it shine like never before. I don’t think HD600 has ever sounded this good. This was like revisiting them for the very first time when my brother bought them and let me listen to them.

The sound is ridiculously clean, there’s not an ounce of distortion or interference from anything. It’s dead silent even at max volume, something that wasn’t the case on the Ear90. But then again you can’t physically listen at max volume, it’s just interesting to hear nothing. It truly speaks of the designer Mattias Stridbeck’s skills and how much has changed with the power delivery of the units and the filters.

What really sells it to me though is the soundstage. It’s not the widest, or most narrow for that matter, that I’ve ever heard on something. But it’s just such a unique sound that separates it from the rest and makes it perfect to me.

This really is just a honeymoon description, but I have no doubt that I will continue to have this feeling for as long as I own these. If the time ever comes to change anything, I will just send it in for an overhaul, which he recommends every 10-20 years. So yeah, I think that speaks for the quality.

Now I’m going to enjoy some more music and shed happy tears.

7 Likes

620£ is about 700€ the price is fair with customs and shipping.
What about the power supply, do I just need a C13 cable and it converts the power itself?

If it’s the one I linked and it’s still available? it was £499 = 560 Euros so I guess with the customs and shipping add up to 700?
Not sure about the power cables though maybe someone else could shed some light on this :+1:

1 Like

Meghan on the right.

2 Likes

They are really beautiful. I looked at their website. You can’t order it, and they actually discourage from buying it. They only want customers who really want it.

Know that is exclusive, lol.

1 Like

Man, I really need a gas mask.

1 Like

For a second I thought you were talking about the amp and dac, haha. Yeah Nakaya are really nice. But then again it’s a process of like 3+ months depending on your order. The documents they send with the pen are stamped by each individual person that has worked on it too.

Decided to try some spin fit CP 100s instead of my foams on my Legacy 3’s and wow what a difference, also picked up an Amazon basics digital cable to try out for my CD player and this three position iPad pillow perfect for bedside.

9 Likes

My wife got me that same pillow. My Xd05 plus fits perfectly in the little pouch on the side :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I dig it, perfect chill combo

so someone helped me finally calm down when buying used hifi stuff

now i bought an openbox dragonfly cobalt for 200 bucks

(EDIT: they cancelled because I was a bit too nervous and I had literally no history on ebay so I caused issues)

3 Likes

I bought stuff for the house repairing. Finally!!

1 Like

Just bought an akg k712 pro for 225 euro, I already heard one a couple times and I just love the sheer amount of soundstage that it can produce, and for the price I actually find it better than the HD6XX… But that’s just preference in the end. Should arrive the 23rd, so happy about it !

4 Likes