What did you do today?

Today I experimented with inserts to try and tame the 3khz and 8khz peaks in the Pro4AA. Also for added comfort. :thinking:

1. Just a 2-ply paper towel. I didnā€™t really notice much difference. Maybe 3khz was a bit better, but the 8khz peak persisted at full volume. Music I though sounded less shouty, but still very honky in timbre. At least they are much more comfortable than the mesh that the Pro4AA has - the weave is very open and feels like a cheese grater pressing on my ears. The biggest problem for comfort is not the clamp, but this f***ing mesh. See last pic for someā€¦ehā€¦ gore.

2. Now I tried adding foam from my M40x to see if that does anything. Yes. 3khz was very much tamedā€¦ but not the 8khz spike. Worse yet, the frequency response just sounds off for music. Vocals, for example, are no longer honky, but they lack presence and air. In fact, mids sound recess for some reason. The tonality is no longer bright and shouty but very very dark yetā€¦ still sibilant every now and then. IMO much worse than stock.

In conclusion for now, I think I will keep the paper towels till they disintigrate. They do improve comfort hundred-fold: fit is very snug and clampy, but much easier to bear with for long periods of time since the Pro4AAs no longer cut against my ears. I want to try some more durable material later on, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll intentionally pursue sound modification. I can well tolerate the prominent peaks.

As promised, what the stock meshing does to my ears after 2hrs of use:

3 Likes

Somehow i feel that little bit of treble taming would be easier to do with little EQ tweaks than added toilet paper. Cause anything physical added, effects full range imo.
Comfort is always my priority but if headphones causes red markingsā€¦ maybe they just are shit and should be changed from start?

1 Like

Obviously EQ is the easier way to do it, but itā€™s also not as fun imo. Itā€™s like saying why go through the trouble of playing around with a 70s Challenger when a 2020 one is so much better.

Iā€™m not pursuing outright performance with the Pro4AA, but itā€™s has been surprisingly good with acoustic music. I normally hate closed-backs but I legitimately started to enjoy stuff like Jazz and Rock since Monday.

Comfortā€¦ I canā€™t argue with that, but I did get used to it. Since it no longer destroys my ears I can put several hours on these (with some neck stretching every now and then) easily. These obviously will turn away a lot of people, but Iā€™m having a lot of fun with it. Crazy as it sounds, Iā€™m more satisfied with this sonically than my M40x. I find the AT to be too hyped in the treble overall.

Well I am about to do things this week in one word, Cardio. Yes I do workout and I am not just someone who is all day busy with his works, doing all of the chores or just plain slacking while having his health deteriorated slowly but surely due to his tendencies of slacking. I was like that back then and nowadays I have been trying to keep my body healthy and fit as much as I can for it was a bad state of my life getting all fat back then.

I did weights last week and now itā€™s time to do cardio, for I think your heartā€™s health should not be neglected at all just because you want bigger muscles or something.

3 Likes

Cool :+1: the Olympia is a week and a half away so you should be just about ready? :smile:

uh lol no, I am no bodybuilder but I guess I will take that as a compliment. I mean I have never seen myself to a buff scale for I am more of a guy who has like a decent shape.

I work out as well but not to the ridiculous degreeā€¦ just a mix of like 3 days cardio 3 days moderate weight lifting a week with a days rest less I am too tired of which two days rest. though as for me todayā€¦ I laid around all friggin day and relaxed as the week so far has been quite stressful so I need to take a minute to dial back

As long as you are healthy and overall satisfied with the body that you got, then just be consistent with it. No need to go all desperate measures where you need to get 5% body fat and big, for that ideal body in a realistic sense is not really that sustainable.

I agree, I donā€™t really want that body type anywayā€¦ toned and healthy is fine by me

1 Like

Bought puppy stuff, named new puppy Luna, Dark purple collar, food, etc. All thatā€™s left is to pick her up when sheā€™s ready in a little over a week

1 Like

Aha same, Iā€™m picking up my new puppy in 2 days, what breed?

1 Like

Doberman Pinscher. I canā€™t really do long hair breeds so I am pretty limited. You?

Italian mastiff for me

Finally got to visit my second home to enjoy 99% silence and to take better pictures of my gear :smile:.

Wish I could move there tho but the area is inconvenient. Have alot less ammentites.

Ugly home pics :

8 Likes

Ok, this one really does need a pic! Letā€™s see the puppy, please! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Looking at houses that are deep in neighborhoods, and currently living in a house that is a block from a main road and you can hear the parkway a mile upā€¦

I didnt know silence and how noisy my house really was. Much more peaceful.

3 Likes

there was already a picture of her posted from me on the what did you buy today thread lol. Sheā€™s not home yet otherwise I would.

1 Like

The court has ruled this insufficient. Please post more puppy pics at your earliest convenience.

lmao sure, after I bring her home which will either be next week or the following week. Still gotta get the vet checkup and what not

/me sees warning signs saying, ā€™ SLOW Falenkor at Play ā€™

1 Like