What did you watch today?

That’s the thing with The Expanse. You can clearly extrapolate a line from today to when the show takes place in the 24th century and say, yeap, that’s exactly it. Easy to then think of the show as less sci-fi and more as drama.

I have 3 more episodes to watch and I’m still at my preliminary rating of 6/10, but all in all I think it’s going to feel too generous in the end and will likely drop to 5/10. Only worthwhile episode to me so far has been E3, about Lu’s relationship, don’t know how but it feels much better made (less ham-fisted) than all the others.

Overall the show feels like it’s trying to rip off “Defying Gravity” (2009), which was also highly character-focused and solar-system based, but much much better scripted. Too bad ABC canceled it after season 1, it was so much better than these “Another Life” and “Away” eyeroll-fests we’re being served these days.

In a way that’s why I tend to give 9-10/10 ratings to low-budget realistic-looking “dusty sci-fi” shows like District 9, Moon (2009), Monsters (2010), Prospect (2018) etc.: everything looks so realistic that I could easily see it happening in the real world in my lifetime. There’s a thrill/excitement there that just can’t be replicated by far-future CGI-fest sci-fi shows that cost stupid amounts of money to make.

Then there’s the brilliance of having “Miller” one of the protagonists of the first seasons go around with a cracked screen on his “iPhone 55” you know, just like half the people do in real life. Just live with your cracked display until you can save up some cash for a replacement.

1 Like

RuPauls Drag Race, season 12.

1 Like

P.O. BOX TINTO BRASS By Tinto Brass
Curated to me by the video store guys because I was doing research on cinematography
and its a gorgeous movie and they said I wasnt going to like it beyond what I wanted for research and I was inclined to agree with them and they were right
it’s also essentially one step past softcore

Bladerunner 4k final cut bluray. 9/10 looks great sounds Really great nearly half a century old film. Scifi took alot of influence from this movie. Fifth element district 9 expanse.

Stumbled upon School of Rock on Netflix threw it on and it’s still great :metal:

1 Like

Sorry guys wrong thread lol

Lol I didn’t even realize either

1 Like

It’s been a rough day lol

1 Like

Showing my son and girlfriend Super 8 for the first time, Kali LP-6 vs D50s

Transformers revenge of the fallen 4k. 7/10 because atmos and LFE. Generous with LFE frugal with atmos and back ch.

“Greyhound” appleTV. If you like “fury” this got more of it but on the water.

Out of curiosity guys, what do you guys think about AT&T’s announcement that it would throw all of the scheduled 2021 film releases up on HBO Max at the same time they were released to theaters?

Talk around the home theater crowd HBO will release the movies in dolby vision/atmos. If true ill give it a go and see if its good as itunes.

I think it was inevitable that film studios would eventually offer simultaneous in-home and theater/cinema releases. I am a bit surprised we didn’t get an intermediate pay-per-view type in-home model to start. As an anti-crowd person even when there’s not a pandemic, I like having the option. Plus, my home theater sound system sounds better then any cinema system I’ve heard and while my 60" TV isn’t quite a cinema screen, it’s pretty darn good too. However, it’s also true that cinema ticket sales are a big part of the revenue stream for the film industry so I really don’t know what the ultimate outcome will be here. Will be interesting…

1 Like

Well the reason they didn’t do pay per vie similar to the way Disney did with Mulan is that this is an attempt to grow HBO Max to the point of establishment. I don’t know if this will be temporary as it’s difficult to take away something once it’s been established as the norm.

Easy for Time Warner because they own the content and the distribution doesn’t matter to them whether it comes from movie theater ticket sales or monthly HBO Max subscriptions as long as they’re paying eyeballs.

IMO it’s going to be a long time until people show up at movie theaters en mass. Whether it’s Disney or Time Warner, as long as it’s only one distribution channel distributing their own content, there’s a chance for it to go back to normal. If it starts to creep in scope and other studios don’t join in, it can all go back to normal in 2022.

I think you’re right on this. The cinema model was already a bit antiquated and in need of a reimagining before covid. Movie theaters in my area were advertising showings for boxing matches and WWE events before covid which I interpreted as an attempt to diversify their business model.

If HBO Max offered most or all in-cinema movies at the same time on their service tho, they could prob at least double their monthly fee and it might become a really good value. I’ll be watching… Both literally and with curiosity :laughing:

They’re starting with Wonder Woman on Dec 25th.

Back in the day people used theaters to listen to boxing matches.

In other news I recently watched Tenet and thinking about re-watching Generation Kill.