🔶 Yamaha YH-5000SE

This is the official thread for the Yamaha YH-5000SE

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: Over Ear
  • Amp needed: Yes
  • Open Back ORTHODYNAMIC (Planar magnetic)

:red_circle: Yamaha Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews…

3 Likes

Well that’s more expensive than I expected it to be lol. Will be curious to try one of these, although don’t know if I’ll jump myself at that price for the moment

2 Likes

Ball park LCD-5 and Expanse price so kinda what would’ve been expected for a flagship :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s likely going to be going for $4000 for the standard version. I hope that the standard version only excludes the accessories, and if that’s the case, it be a much better situation. Ideally, the price would be $3500, but I guess that that luxury is only reserved for Japan :confused:

Such flagship products usually don’t go on discounts, so I don’t have high hopes that it will drop to $3500. We will see!

I really like the industrial design, I think it looks lovely. One of the best looking headphones out there. Shame about the price, call me a skeptic but I doubt the sound will justify it.

3 Likes

Yeah me too :+1: kinda like a HD800s AKG love child :smile:

3 Likes

I’m actually somewhat hopeful considering Yamaha used to make some badass planar in the 70s, hopefully they can regain planar dominance lol (although a lot lot more competition these days lol), and they’ve been in the audio industry for a real long time as well. Looks like a lot of effort and time went into it overall, so I doubt it’s going to be anything close to bad, I was just expecting something more around the 3k price though, but if the sound justifies the price so be it lol

2 Likes

I like the look as well. I see a bit of the Final D8000 series look, only in a mesh.
The headband and strap looks like it will be comfortable too. Supposedly not hitting the street until April '23 so have a while to wait and speculate lol

3 Likes

Defo that too.

Wait, really? Where does this information come from, if I may ask?

I just checked out Yamaha’s Japan tweet, and it suggest the release is late December.

I am rooting so much for Yamaha!

I want them to be dominant on the market like back then, pleaseeeee. They have the money that very few others have, they just have to be very smart about it to make good use of it.

Sony is quite dominant, but I believe that Yamaha could get on that level if it really wanted to. Of course, it takes quite a few brains to do just that. Finding those brains, however, is the challenge.

1 Like

i like that its a 320 gram weight flagship planar.

2 Likes

That’s close to dca ether 2 weight, which is insanely light. Not as light as something like the adx5k but wonder if that’s with or without cable

2 Likes

There we go, I think the same! It’s jaw-dropping and insane. Engineers doing their job.

1 Like

probably without cable weight. looks like it comes with 2 different cables. but thats speculation

edit: the cables it comes with are silver plated braided. i think you nailed it. its really a 3000$ headphone with 1k in accessories.

1 Like

Typically that’s how most seem to do it

Which is fine, it’s not unreasonable to drop a grand or two on a nice cable for a headphone of that caliber, but the question would be if those stock cables can actually compete with what you can get from more established cablemakers in that range

2 Likes

Valid questions.

We still don’t know how much the standard edition will go for.

The SE includes: 2 pairs of ear-pads, 2 pairs of cables, and a headphone stand.

2 Likes

i agree with ya. if they are good, makes it an easier purchase not having to get the “extra” stuff separate. purchase and you got pad swapping, single ended and balanced, and a stand to put them on. one stop shop. we will see when reviewers get em if the cables any good. i want to hope they are, they seem to have put a lot of effort into these. making fancy cables that are bad, would be disappointing.

2 Likes

Hifiman and Focal be like we got this :joy:

1 Like

I mean hifiman isn’t charging like a grand or two extra for extra cables with their headphones, and neither is focal, when you buy either something like a hek susvara clear utopia etc in neither case are you really paying a significant amount for a cable. The hifiman cable on the higher end headphones actually doesn’t sound too bad but feels like shit. The focal cable both feels and sounds like shit lol

1 Like