šŸ”¶ Yanyin Audio Canon

Which are your fist impressions Olina vs Cannon?

1 Like

For me next step will be (I think ej07m).
But Cannon is interesting!!

1 Like

Sure I can try my best to summarize my experience.

TL;DR: had a rocky start with the Canons and a bit of buyers regret but after dialing in my tip and switch preference and a bit of brain burn in I am very happy with them!

Before going into Canon and Olina I want to mention why I moved from the Timeless to the Olina. Especially since you did the same move. I really liked the timeless but my biggest issues were three fold; bass lacked slam for me (why I went and will always stay with a DD), they lacked depth in soundstage and felt a little lifeless in the mids. Electronic and rap were great with the timeless but pop and rock left me lacking. While the Olina was a noticeable step back in resolution it was huge gains in all the things I was missing with the Timeless and they were just so much more fun to listen to!

Now onto the Olina and Canon.
I should note that my Olina is Tanya modded and the comparisons made are through a Q5K with the same cable to keep things consistent (tips are different so YMMV).

Resolution:
Canons win by a noticeable margin. I didnā€™t really notice at first but going back and forth but everything is just clearer with the Canon compared to the Olina. The Canons donā€™t match the Timeless in terms of resolution but they get close. With the Timeless I could hear Paul Williams lips separating in Touch. Thatā€™s how wild the resolution on the timeless was! Canon is not quite there but again, itā€™s noticeably better than the Olina.

Dynamics
Canon wins here again. I think this and resolution are hard for the Olina to compete in with itā€™s single DD but alas the Canons just seem more dynamic to me.

Tonality
Even with Canons 8 settings I actually prefer Olina in tonality. Bass is present but not taking over, mids are smoothed with the Tanya filter and just so nice plus the treble energy is good and extends well past the range I can hear. I tried to get close with the Canon but in order to get a similar mid and treble response resulted in a big bass presence that can sometimes distract from the rest of the music imo. I used to think I was a basshead but I guess not!

Soundstage/imaging
Olina is no slouch but Canon still takes the cake here. The Olina felt very holographic when compared to the Timeless however the Canon really takes it up a notch. I havenā€™t encountered a song in my library where the Olina beats out that Canon here.

Conclusion
The Canon is a better IEM, straight up. To me the question isnā€™t which is better but is the canon $350 better than the Olina and to me it is not. We all know this hobby is a game of diminishing returns and the $100 bracket is constantly stepping up itā€™s game making mid fi options a really tough pill to swallow IMO. If you have the money and want an upgrade on the Olina the Canon would deliver though.

5 Likes

P.S

In writing the above I realized just how fun the Olina are! I think someone mentioned a similar sentiment about different IEMs before but I am listening to the music with the Olina whereas sometimes I feel like Iā€™m listening to the headphones with the Canon.

3 Likes

That was my Canon vs Serial takeaway!

3 Likes

Thank you very much!
It is certainly an interesting option. It strikes me that Timeless didnā€™t give it enough gravity. For me it has enough.
Regarding resolution Iā€™m a bit cautious here because itā€™s a very conflicting word. Resolution is not the same as more treble.
In my Kato and Timeless comparisons I didnā€™t notice much difference in this area.
Volume, song quality, dac/amp used and mastering can all distort this.
I hope to do a comparison in a few weeks Olina vs Timeless.

I think from what you say and what I believe the cannon is a step above the Tea mk2 even. But I think below the ej07m
If I could get this one for less than 450ā‚¬ it would be a good buy. The cannon is worth 350ā‚¬.
Now I will end up buying the ej07m and soon Tripowin and BGGAR will bring out another iem but at 200ā‚¬ to compete with the 600ā‚¬ onesā€¦haha.

My thoughts here: šŸ”¶ Yanyin Audio Canon - #21 by ttorbic

I think @cal_lando and I generally agreed on Canon vs Olina!

1 Like

I love dd iems but I am awaiting a great one. The Olina is good for the money but it is not what I am looking for I myself really like the timeless it I am aware what it could do better I think the li
Item edition Dunu would. be sloserto what I want. The Dark Magician was a but but they revised it and it now worse l. You know a ythi g more about the moonlight I think a Lava is quite possibly my next buy but giving it a while longer.I could get the Ups and go way different. I know Olina better but I have Mele and if suffices

Haha it makes sense. My take on the serial is that itā€™s the Olinas big bro. The serial is still really tempting me but I have no reason to pick up another IEM at this time.

I agree that resolution is a bit of a loaded term however I couldnā€™t think of a better one for what i experienced. Im definitely not just talking about (just) treble extension though. To me resolution is two things; the ability to hear things that werenā€™t present before and the ability to hear things clearly when other things are also bring played (super clear vocals even when there is a complex bass sequence playing as well which is also very clear). Planar does both of those very well.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I find the Canon to be almost like the hybrid of Olina and S12: excellent bass (more rumble than both), as good imaging as S12, maybe not as good mids but close, and good treble extension. Iā€™m enjoying the Canon!

4 Likes

Yeah I can definitely see that! Funny enough I went back to foamies cause it attenuated the bass enough to give me a lot of the tonality of Olina! I might go back to silicon and 010 and see what I think but at this point I just want to sit back and enjoy the music

1 Like

Canon is now available on Linsoul! Yanyin Canon 4BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid IEM ā€“ Linsoul Audio

You know whatā€™s interesting? I emailed the company giving them some feedback, the main one recommending against the use of a 2pin connector with super long connectors (see my review). They actually listened to me I think, because the cable shown on Linsoul is different to the one I got! Great that they responded to my email and actually took constructive feedback onboard.

I also think they changed the look of the Canon a bit - much more wood-grain like faceplateā€¦ Looks very nice I must say.

2 Likes

@nymz. Yanyin cannon is in you review radar?

1 Like

If I can get hold of one, I donā€™t mind taking my shot.

But how do they usually say? Once bitten, twice shy.

1 Like

What are you referring to as the first bite?Although you preferred the OG Teas you liked the Aladdin, right? Or do you mean with Penon as sellers?

Talking about Serial, above all. I am debating if I should review them of not right now, as they are in front of me and have to be shipped back next weekā€¦

Edit: Just realised Serial is from Penon and not Yanyin lol, dumb me

2 Likes

Ah OK I was about to say I still didnā€™t get the connection. Gotcha!

BTW: That quality control was unacceptable and a real surprise. The worst part is as a result youā€™ve probably never heard what I do when I listen to the Serial. :frowning:

Not trying to volunteer or put anyone out but Iā€™m wondering if it would be feasible for someone with a known good pair to ship theirs to @nymz for review? I would but 1) I donā€™t have them and 2) Iā€™m not in the EU. Im a bit selfish but would really love your take on them!

Canon? Sure, I could do that and measure. Iā€™m curious but not not curious enough to buy it.

1 Like