Best bass headphones

Have you done that conversion to some 610’s?

No, but purple heart wood has a unique quality that adds a fair amount of warmth to thing like headphones and guitars or any string instruments really. That’s why the X00 purple hearts are the most bassy. So since the X00s are discontinued and the budget was $1000, you may as well get some Lawton cups and the driver side tune up and put them on a used X00 mahogany or a TH-610. That’s what @M0N did with his TH-900.

Edit: Also the X00 style pads add a fair amount of bass. Those are pretty important for the 1 tesla drivers.

I have the 610’s and have ordered a driver tune-up kit. Curious to hear the difference.

It’s subtle but you’ll probably notice after a bit listening. The frequency responce shouldn’t really change any, but the trebkecshoykd be a bit less harsh and the bass a little cleaner while instrument separation should also improve. It’s definitely worth the $45 imo.

I am hoping for a bit cleaner sound. If it sounds “better”, I might move up to the cups.

The cups are where the biggest sound changes are from what I’ve heard. You’ll most likely be satisfied as long as you aren’t expecting the driver side tune up to “fix” anything. It only improves what is already there.

Maybe try the E-Mu purple heart cups (or any other wood you are interested in) first to see if you like the sound of that wood.

Also does the TH-610 have any material in the cups like dampening or is that just the TH-600? If it does maybe remove that because cup dampening makes it sound more neutral.

The tune-up includes cup treatment too, I believe.

Yeah’ the tune up should come with the cup sidev(foam and an adhesive backed cardboard piece) and the driver side (vynle like strips). The cup side will make the frequency response more neutral. I previously described the driver side changes. I would recommend trying just the driver side first and temporarily ataching the cup side with scotch tape for testing befor comiting with the rather strong included adhesive.

I didn’t keep the cup side as I felt it neutered the bass.

I was thinking the same thing.

looking at your headphone collection i would definitely add the Fostex ebony. Its starting to look like a reference headphone to me. Also to consider the Drop Edition XX’s. I got the Arya and that large driver is so choice and their known for being warm. I felt the Ananda had too much treble and not enough midrange

These thicker rings seem to make the sub bass way more pronounced.

I’m glad I’m at 7/10 for 150$. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why do audiophiles always pick 250 ohms over 80? Shouldn’t 80 be more bassy and less treble peaky?

While the 80ohm may be more bassy, that bass is less well controlled than the 250ohm. Also the treble is sharper and harsher for the same reason.

This does not mean that higher ohm headphones are all automatically better though. It’s just that the beyer drivers are better when they are a higher resistance.

3 Likes

couple of reasons. as @coconut said more controled lending to a better less peaky sound.
the higher impedance gives us a reason to use it with amps as a higher impedance headphone scales better than a lower impedance headphone generally speaking.
One reasoin I personally go towards the 250 ohm over the 80 ohm is also better most consistend model made out of the ones available the 80 ohm 770 has had some reported batch variance in the past few years

What do you think about the custom one pro plus?
Cuz I’m looking for a bassy headphone I loved dt 770 80ohm bass but not the treble. I’m considering picking up the 250 ohms but I’m also open to suggestions.
I want a fun bassy headphone for like Doom Ethernal and bassy music like hip hop.
I have CALs but hmmm they are not what I was looking for, 770s bass is just stuck in my head.
And I mostly own neutral boring stuff just got the k371 very good sounding with some types of music but really suck with games.

the pro plus’s have a similar signature just easier to drive. not as good sounding as the higher impedance beyers.maybe take a look at the mmx 300 instead

1 Like

I am really liking the bass response on the T50rp Dekoni Blues.

2 Likes

I’m planning to do the napkin mod on the 770s. I have high hopes.
If that fails, I have a Loki on backorder :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well sheet I actually though they are like 770s but more bass and less treble