šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Iā€™ll have to dig out my Little Dot Mk III and see how that does. I played around with my Sennheiser 600-series on that, and it was fun, but it didnā€™t keep up with what other headphones did on SS. I havenā€™t revisited that amp since I started collecting Beyers.

1 Like

Indeed

I would tend to agree, I prefer it sonically over the thx amps

For the most part I would agree, itā€™s a very well rounded higher end amp

Curious to see how you think it pans out :+1:

1 Like

I donā€™t see an official thread for thatā€“should we (I? you?) start one? Either way, Iā€™ll post thoughts once I get some time with it.

Will do lol

Edit: this needs to be turned off

1 Like

That reads like a poorly translated fortune cookie. :rofl:

Since you have waaaaaay more experience with highend stuff, Iā€™m curious to hear about that, if you test it sometime.

1 Like

Got myself a very cheap solution to the horribly long and tangle prone cable.

Itā€™s very light and flexible and itā€™s only $1 at Dollar Tree. I have another one for the v-moda cable for my Argons

4 Likes

Just purchased a pair. Should be in Thursday the day after I make it home from a 3 week shift. Looking forward to listening to them.

5 Likes

Where did you find a pair for sale?

https://m.thomannmusic.com/

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure on final price yet cause Iā€™ll have to deal with import when itā€™s delivered. Pretty sure itā€™ll be ~$50 cheaper than I could have bought anywhere else.

Yeah, Iā€™ve been looking around for these headphones and canā€™t find them anywhere near MSRP.

Killer combo. Millet Hybrid MiniMAX with Bendix 12FK6 Tubes. Bit more bloom in the bass and the headphones are way less sterile sounding in comparison to a solid state. Much more pleasing to the ear thats for sure. Picture is of me adjusting the bias for these tubes. I recommend this one over the millet nuhybrid amp I posted earlier as its way less microphonic. Both sound great with the DT-880 but this one edges it out.

4 Likes

Still have not managed to get my Little Dot out, but I did managed to hook up the V280 today. Iā€™m out of desk space and my electrical connections are starting to look Griswold-esque. :slight_smile:

In any case, more data points: straight out of the box with no pre-gain enabled 880s sounded good-but-not-great, and I could push the volume way too close to the max (probably around 3:00). However, with +12dB pregain, I have way more headroom (max comfortable listening volume is now between 10 and 11), and sound resolution is finally similar to what Iā€™m getting out of the Pendant. The remaining differences are subtle; spatial detail feels more holographic and 3D with Pendant.

It feels like I am answering half of my questions about 880s on the Pendantā€“which parts were power and which were tubes. Ample clean SS power is allowing the 880s room to perform. The whole soundscape is rendered a little more cleanly with individual sound elements coming through more natural and relaxed and less ā€œstrainedā€ or fuzzy. Itā€™s a fairly subtle, yet easily appreciable difference. To make a visual analogy, it feels like the difference between looking through plexiglass vs optical glass.

In any case, someday I will get to the Little Dot, and Iā€™ll come back again and leave more impressions.

6 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts! :grinning: :ok_hand:

1 Like

2-3 more days and Iā€™ll get to test drive mine :+1:.

Iā€™ve got my new amp aswell. Had a few hours listening till now.
Iā€™m curious if Iā€™m even able to tell the difference to my magni 2.
Itā€™s really not that easy to understand the little differences between one ss amp and another ss amp.

One thing I noticed between the Magni 2 and the lake people is better bass performance.
And maybe everything sounds a little bit smoother and it sounded generally more like it has to sound like this. Donā€™t know how to describe.
It definitely sounds better. I will listen and learn I guess :smiley:

Edit: Listening to the Beyers right now. The music seems to have a bit more depth/soundstage in every direction.

1 Like

I am just returning to audio gear in a very,very long time. I bought the DT 880 600ohm 2 weeks ago after dipping my toes in with the KZ 10 pros , Koss kph 30iā€™s and the Btr5 Nov - January. I have to say I am enjoying these from my PC through the btr5 a whole lot. While the btr obviously struggles itā€™s enjoyable to my ears at just past the mid volumes, past that starts to bring just a little distortion but nothing too distracting imho.
The few times it has gotten sibilant with me the song playing at the time was the culprit and as someone who is treble sensitive I still enjoy these despite that. I see others find it lacking bass and again I find that varies from track to track in my listening experience so far.
I canā€™t wait to hear what it sounds like when I upgrade my equipment later this week. I got my su 8 last Wednesday and the Asgard 3 should be arriving shortly after some back and forth mails with Schiit convincing them I was indeed purchasing their product lol. Kinda excited tbh :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice! The a3 should be a really good step up. Curious to hear what you think eventually. The dt880ā€™s but also the 30iā€™s you may find improve as well lol

1 Like