đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

These took no time to get here ordered 4 days ago. I believe Thomann is european distributor but these came out of the US. I’ll keep you posted when they arrive.

1 Like

I have gained even more respect for these headphones. They handle the Zen Dac’s xbass boost piped through an Asgard 3 with aplomb. I only got an hour or so in listening on that combo so far but I pulled up as many bass torture tests as I could. At about 75dB average SPL, no distortion, no muddiness, no mid-bass bloat or bleed into midrange. The Zen’s Burr Brown implementation also reduced the treble brightness to a level where sibilance and sharpness fairly well disappeared after about 15mins of listening. So far an excellent signal chain. Stay tuned for more

4 Likes

Nice to hear! I keep my max at 75 Db’s. My only fear on these is the brightness, but for the right price, I will definitely try them.

You are a jazz man, yes? The 880 is an excellent jazz and orchestral can. Where the brightness becomes an Achilles heel is with close-mic’d, energetically played cymbals and poorly recorded vocals. The cymbals part mostly shows up in rock music recording the drums with the “Glyn Johns” technique. That puts a mic about 1m above the cymbals and leaves it up to the drummer to throttle it back so as not to overwhelm the mic. If that statement made you chuckle, you see the problem. More distant in-room mics and the DT880 is spectacular.

2 Likes

I couldn’t resist. I just placed my order!

Thanks for the heads up.

Would anyone like to jump in and comment on the included cable? Also, are the connectors 3.5mm?

The cable is the biggest downer. It’s 3m long, attached, and ungainly. The only good thing about it is you get a cool “600ohm” label on the plug.

If you’re at all handy this balanced detachable mod is not nearly as onerous as it may seem. I highly recommend doing it.

1 Like

That’s right, I forgot it was a fixed cable.
I am OK with SE as I am only looking to run them on my tube amp and my Violectric.

1 Like

I actually like the long cable. Sometimes it can get a bit annoying on the desk for sure, but it gives me the room to stand up and move if the music wants me to move :smiley:

4 Likes

Also amending my earlier post that I thought it originated in the states
no it just came fast enough to make it here in like 4 days from Germany.

1 Like

So I just got the Monolith 887/RME Stack, but it doesn’t seem that will drive these. Any recommendations for an AMP I could add to current setup?

What price range are you considering?

500-600 CAD area.

Hey I thought Noel from Wheezy Reviews did a pretty good review on the DT 880, so thought I would share with the rest of the class

3 Likes

Did they arrive? If so, what do you think?

My price wasn’t quite as good as yours. Are you in Alberta? My cost was $266.00 (exchange rate must have moved a bit or just more for using PayPal). I got an email from UPS this morning looking for $43.91 for taxes and clearance fee. So, I am at about $310.00, landed. Still happy with that price and very curious to hear them.

They did arrive and sound good. Been out and about the last few days so haven’t used a lot yet. I’ll touch back after break in and some more time with them.

I ended up going for the Asgard 3. Didn’t wanna mess with tubes as they seem above my weight class for now.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty nice amp, should be sweet :+1:, sorry I didn’t respond to the post earlier, got sidetracked by work

1 Like

Good amp. Good match for 880. Enjoy! :beers:

1 Like

What amp do you use?

Using my new toys now. My tube amp is not of the thick and bassy variety. They didn’t sound very full so I turned on the Schiit Loki and now things sound Very nice!
With the Loki on, I can’t go past 1:00.

So far nice, full sound (with Loki), and I am not noticing any brightness yet. Of course with my T5p.2’s took a few months for the treble to get to me.

They definitely punch above their weight. Plugged them into the Violectric for about one minute and was definitely impressed. After a few days I will try them on the Violectric for a long time, using the dip switches.

Just to play with my tube amp, I re-bought the HD600’s (used) and these (new), for about the same price. These are WAY more fun! :smile:

9 Likes