đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

I do. My phone. I just tried it and found the problem. There is some kind of break in the cable just above the amp jack. And since the cable is not replaceable

Just jiggle this and it will not work in three directions, but the fourth is the charm. :grin:
break

2 Likes

That is a relatively easy DIY fix and might be less hassle than more international shipping to get a replacement. But, I certainly understand the irritation of buying a product and having it fail so quickly.

First headphone failure ever. I was getting too cocky! I have bought somewhere between 15 and 20 pairs in the last five years.
I just emailed Thomann and i’ll see what they say. They may say see the manufacturer as it has been 60 days.

Just out of curiosity what is the “easy fix”?

Relatively easy, but you have to cut that plug off and replace it. Requires soldering 3 wires. As far as wiring fixes go, it’s pretty straightforward.

1 Like

You’d think so, but I have never soldered before

Time to learn then :wink:

The basic principle is:

1. heat the parts
  2. add solder to heated joint
  3. Let cool down

I have a better gudie writen up in the lower part of this post here.

What I forgot to mention: Exercise makes perfect.
There are some solder-project kits available from various stores, or you get some cable and connectors and just give it a try.

1 Like

Yep the reason I brought it up is because that end of the cable is 3m away from the drivers. You can’t permanently ruin your headphones by learning how to solder on a new plug and you can probably learn how to do it quicker than an international exchange is likely to happen.

1 Like

I don’t see me doing it but, yeah that might be the best option. That cable could use several feet less of length.

Could send it to that guy who does the balanced mod

1 Like

True enough.

1 Like

So, have we reached a concensus about the next step up from the DT880? The DT1990? One of the T1 iterations? Something else?

1 Like

I don’t think so. I think the consensus is there isn’t a true upgrade for the 880’s signature. It’s frustrating, but that’s the way it seems to be.

4 Likes

Not really a 1:1 replacement/upgrade for the 880 600 ohm imo, the closest thing is most likely the t1.2 with the right amp and you can sometimes get it to sound similar but it’s a different signature

1 Like

The T1.2 sure sounds like something I want to try.

If you really want to stay in the area of the “brighter tuned headphones”.

Then I would recommend that you finally move away from Beyedynamic as a real update from the DT880 600 ohm and opt for a Focal Elex or Clear, which both go in this tonal direction , but are in my opinion “less stressful” than the Beyer’s especially the DT1990 with their high peaks of their Teslar drivers.

The T1 2nd Gen. is more moderate but somehow boring to me and the 3rd Gen. lost the Beyer Mojo in it’s entirely.

But it’s always a question of personal taste!?!

3 Likes

Yes, I bet I would like the Focals. Would love to spend some time with them as well as with the DT1990 and T1.

I definitely wouldn’t go calling the Clear a “bright” headphone. It does have that bit of an edge to it but comparing that to a beyer? Clears are incredibly neutral, clean, and transparent least to my ear, I didn’t get much brightness like at all when I sat with them several times.

Remove the dampener this give it back that beyer house sound.

dunno, I found the T1 to sound better in the mids and was just more pleasant due to how relaxed it is compared to the 1990. 1990 and 880 are both rather aggressive neutral bright meanwhile T1.2 is V shaped unless using B pads on the 1990’s.

1 Like

:smiley:

Fortunately, we all see things differently.

Otherwise there would always be only one manufacturer for each product group.

How boring would that be?

:woozy_face:

1 Like

Dt880(600) was a pair i kept around for awhile, they scale really well and make a great companion while moving up the chain. I really liked what I got out of the zmf,audeze,hifiman lines, and can recommend those as a jump from the dt880, though I wouldn’t say they are similar, just that I got excited for what they offered comparatively. The t1.2 is nice, but I still chose dt880 over it. The clears are really great, and anyone going from something like the dt880 would be impressed.

2 Likes

I always find this mindset interesting, mind if I ask why you choose the 880 over the T1.2? The 2nd generation of the T1 has been labelled several times to be a potential upgrade to the 880 granted they are most definitely of different signature.

Horribly boring and one of the reasons I am happy to see beyer extending out to other sound signatures. I do wish Focal would make a more budget friendly lineup though
 all there headphones are $500+(excluding elear because it’s not well received and listen pro isn’t all that grand imo) which makes entry rather difficult much like Audeze. Makes me more inclined to stick with Beyer, hifiman, and sennheiser

1 Like