šŸ”¶ Fostex T50rp

Ya I totally agree with treble murder at stock. Honestly everything sounds muderous stock, but once I did the toilet paper mod it helped it out a ton. Still treble(sometimes a little too much) and the sweet mid-range bump is still there too

Hey gents,

Just got hooked on Z-reviews and slowly getting particular with audioā€¦started with set o wharfedales at work nuther at home (with smsl18)ā€¦got Xmas shp9500s and just picked up set of dt 770 pro 80 Ohm (replaced old pads and planing removable cable 3.5 mm jack mod) and a Schiit fullaā€¦Iā€™m a DIY lover and have access to printers and a small CNC Mill. Curious if any of you gents have files for the Cup mods ā€¦ Outside Mr. Speakers open source printables. I have little to no background in acoustic shape/knowledge but love to learn as well

If no, a repository of .STL files and DIY catagory might be in order. I volunteer to open one.

Thanks

1 Like

Oh well. Oddly enough after only listening to my T50RP for more or less one week, for a few minutes my HD58Xs sounded V-Shaped.

Apparently my free mod definitely gets rid of the T50RP + Shure 840 ā€œV-Shapeā€, lol. :+1:
Iā€™d say planar bass + mid-focused + 10khz peak (I could not get rid of it ā€“ brain burn in got used to it lol).

Well, hereā€™s the proof Fostex RP series are great!

(Sarcasm warning!)

You do know her career ended because of a lip syncing scandal?

If you look at a lot of music project documentaries youā€™ll see a lot of Fostex, Sony and AKG being used.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t the foam index to not cover the driver?

The foam pieces are these:

Canā€™t find them on AKGs site, the link to ā€œpartsā€ is just an email address.

1 Like

The foam is made to fit the driver perfectly but thereā€™s way too much highs for me.
Just turning it 45 degrees and cutting it like that, gets rid of the highs, adds front soundstage (I think!), and as a bonus you donā€™t have foam in front of the driver, which may ā€œveilā€ everything instead of just getting rid of unwanted frequencies.

ā€¦but Iā€™ll still order the foam pieces because Iā€™m curious!

1 Like

The fostex rp driver can really kick some serious ass. Finally have been able to replicate the ZMF Ori mod and the bass may be some of the most enjoyable I have ever heard. Way better than argons.

I heard Zack from ZMF say i a interview that he would test the drivers when he got them and he would have to reject a few before modding. Makes me think about getting his t50rp mod before modhouse

Yeah Iā€™ve heard very good things about the ori, specifically pertaining to its bass. But it is more than double the price of the argons so I would expect them to be quite a bit better

Ryan from Modhouse does driver matching also.

Still enjoying these, theyā€™re still my ā€œdaily driversā€, even with my Denon AVR, which has a surprisingly decent headphone output I must say. When did I buy/mod these? Decemberā€¦

Iā€™ve been listening to music almost every day with these for 4 months (half that time with a JDS Atom) and yes, I thought about other headphonesā€¦ but time and time again Iā€™m still ā€œwowedā€ by these and just fail to understand how any of my music could sound any ā€œbetterā€ with pricier headphones. Being able to buy inexpensive planars and mod em to get the sound you like is a real privilege.

:heart: my Fostex T50RPs!

1 Like

Running these off Audioquest Red and canā€™t say they are too quitet. Would an amp like SMSL SP200 or Schiit Asgard 3 improve SQ due to higher power output?

I would say so yes, grabbing a asgard 3 is a great match for these, would be real nice. It would even out the frequency response a bit and improve dynamics and detail, with other changes as well imo

1 Like

Yes. There is sound, and sometimes lots of it, through the T50 and mods with most amps. When they have sufficient power, though, their bass becomes clearer and more controlled. If you went with an A3, you will likely notice the difference in the quality of the bass.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say the sound is bad. I prefer T50 to Fidelio X2 both powered off Dragonfly Red. A3 is essentially double the price of T50 in UK, therefore wondering if it is worthwhile.

Looking to get an amp anyway so might get A3 just to find out.

My T50RPs definitely donā€™t sound bad even powered from my phone (!) but Fostex says the RP series can handle 3 wattsā€¦ so an amp will amplify the details.

Therefore 3 watts amp would be recommended or any amp will improve SQ? Some of Fostex amps or Arcam rHead look quite intresting but are not as powerfull as A3.

Personally I think the fostex amps are pretty outdated and donā€™t sound that great for the price, not sure I would rec those modern day

Thatā€™s a pretty solid amp, would also be pretty nice, that still pushes a fair amount of power (and all class a as well)

Mostly imo I think as long as itā€™s a semi powerful amp it will improve the sound, amp quality also matters besides power. The t50 has an overstated amp requirement imo

I mean I got the 1 watt JDS Atom and itā€™s plenty. Zeos will say you need a BasX A-100 with like 50 watts, etc. :stuck_out_tongue: just personal preference.