šŸ”· Fostex TR-X00 Ebony

Pics or it didnā€™t happen. But seriously, that sounds like a really cool mod, I would love to see it.

Tah-Dah!

5 Likes

That looks sweet. How did you make the grills?

I didnā€™t make them, I bought them off of Amazon. Thereā€™s a post on r/headphones where a guy made his open back and provided a link. These are about 30 bucks for the grills.

1 Like

I ask here because i havent found another thread for that. IĀ“ve seen Fostex TH-X00 Purple Hearts on ebay and the guy asks 450ā‚¬ set price. Just out of curiosity, is that a fair price? If not, what is a fair price? Someone else sells mahagony ones for 400ā‚¬. Never tried Fostex before and have heard the purple hearts were crazy fun.

You might be able to find a better price but since youā€™re in Germany this might be the best youā€™ll find. I personally think these are plenty worth that price, especially since they seem to be in great condition.

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/kopfhoerer-fostex-th-x00-ph/1467047453-172-1144?utm_content=_WEB_TO_APP_I1_B

If this is the listing then I would go for it. They shortened the cable and made it a 3.5 so it being attached shouldnā€™t be a big issue.

If you want more discussion on the X00s check out this thread.

1 Like

I have both the suede and the hybrid suede. I personally find nothing airy or perforated work well on the TR-X00s. They actually sound quite bad. They are much more suited to open back headphones.

Thereā€™s a reason most pads on open back headphones are perforated and most pads on closed backs are not. Just look at any of the ZMF headphones.

For comfort, you canā€™t beat theseā€¦ These are what Iā€™m rockin on my Aeolus.

2 Likes

Yep this is the listing. I feel everything not from germany is rather expensive hereā€¦but i guess its the same in reverse for german products in other countrys.
Thanks for the words, i might actually jump on that, even tho i wanted to try completely different things first :joy:
But i will read a bit in the linked thread before.

They never sold much in Europe. The EU listing on drop had a few dozen purchases be for it was totally out of stock so I would imagine they are less common over there. But like I said, I think they are worth it and the condition + cable mods make that one seem pretty desirable.

As you will see in the other thread, I really love my PH. They are the most fun and best sounding headphones Iā€™ve heard and can be made even better with some rather cheap mods.

I use Ori hybrids on mine. They have no perforations so they sound the same as a normal lambskin pad but with the added comfort of the suede face. I no longer need any more pads for my X00s. My journey is at an end (until I inevitably do the full Lawton mod).

Yes, they are defintely not so common here. Drop products in general, because we have to pay 19% tax + customs feeā€”that diminishes the drop discount completely.
The guy gives brainwavz pads + attentuator rings aswell. Im just reading. Seems that they are pretty fun headphones overall. I just thinkā€¦why not, if i dont like them, i can sell them.

2 Likes

If you find you want to try other pads for better comfort without ruining the sound, try the ZNF Ori lambskin suede hybrids first. They may be a bit pricey but they are gloriously comfortable and sound great with the attenuation rings, especially if you make your own out of ovaltine tin lids.

3 Likes

When you need someone for write him in German,i live in Germany.
When he give you for 450ā‚¬ with shipping cost is it okay.The Zmf are expensiv too i find.grrrrr :slight_smile:

I have try this on the Tr x 00 and was horrible,wasted Money.
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-fostex-th900-elite-hybrid-replacement-memory-foam-ear-pad-set/

1 Like

Mmmhhh I bought my TH-X00 Ebony a few months ago locally in Spain for 320 euros. If youā€™re not in a hurry keep checking in Headfi sales, sooner or later a cheaper pair will show IMO.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s quite a difference in priceā€¦I think about it.

1 Like

The thread search here needs work :confused: Sorry if this is covered somewhere.

What are good, comfy, and tone neutral-ish pads to put on these that fit with little effort? The stock pads arenā€™t great. Iā€™d prefer a memory foam, but donā€™t require it. I prefer real leathers, but proteins would be ok if they are on the cheaper (<$30) end. Anything more then that Iā€™d want a more durable material.

Also does it lack clamp or it is my head is small? Also, will thicker pads help the clamp. I imagine it would.

These are basically just stock pads but made with leather and memory foam so they are more comfortable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SCNCH5R/ref=psdcmw_13880181_t2_B07X2F29B2

These are like cheap ZMF Ori pads. They sound good on there own but need attenuation rings to sound like stock.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07X1L287G/ref=psdcmw_13880181_t1_B07X2F29B2

The blue ones (0.4mm thick) should be enough.

Or you can get dekoni attenuation rings.
https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio-Attenuation-Massdrop-Headphones/dp/B071CZPYFL

Personally I use genuin ZMF Ori hybrid pads (lambskin with suede face) and the brown (0.8mm thick) ovaltine attenuation rings. These sound the same as a full lambskin pad since the inner wall is lambskin but the suede face is super comfortable.
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/ori-pads

2 Likes

Everything you ever wanted to know about modding the TR-X00ā€¦

If you want to ask me anything personally since I have a lot of experience modding the TR-X00, Iā€™d be happy to help.

As for pads, youā€™ll find a LOT of info in that thread and a lot of opinions. Iā€™ll give you this rule. Donā€™t even think about anything perforated or anything that ā€œbreathesā€. Pads arenā€™t all about comfort on the TR-X00. The stock pads are designed very specifically for a tuning reason. If you go with anything that is going to clear the path from the driver to your ear, get ready for a treble blast. You have to do a lot of work to the headphone to get pads actually (over ear) and not destroying the tonality. It is possible, and you might even end up with something better than stock.

Congrats! Somebody figured it out!

2 Likes

I think Iā€™ll do the Ori pad+ring mod in all lambskin, not hybrid. I donā€™t mind the leather and my man cave never gets hot soā€¦

Love the user name btw. Iā€™m not huge on Ghost, but I do love a few of their songs. I like the aesthetic more.

Will the pads help the low clamp, or can I do something else to help it? I want to do the mods as cleanly as possible.

Iā€™m not looking to improve the sound much, just keep it close. From my few hours of listening, they are currently close to perfect for what I was hoping for. My only issue is with those stock pads and comfort. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll mind the stock pads if I could get a little more clamp. Right now they donā€™t feel very secure on my head. Which may be due to whatever the previous person did. Although they look close to mint, and the mods are very well done. So I would guess itā€™s probably not.

Thanks though. Iā€™ll have to read through this and the other thread.

1 Like

Thicker will help a bit with the clamp. You can also be brave and do the loop-d-loop thing with the headband to add some clamp. If you do bend the headband, make sure to extend it all the way so you avoid the metal extention rods getting in the way.

1 Like