šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Iā€™ve been wondering if people have been underpowering them because sometimes I forget how weak some amps are.

Just for reference, Iā€™m on a Monoprice THX Dac/Amp, running balanced XLR and i sit around -17 to -14 out of a +6db total range

Not to sound mean here, but that doesnā€™t really matter. You need to look up what your amp puts out at 60 ohm to know if you driving them well or not. Itā€™s not about how loud they are.

2 Likes

Good luck measuring (or if you like finite element analysis, calculating) that!

Amen

1 Like

16 ohms = 1960 Balanced
32 ohms = 3120 balanced
150 ohms = 1160 balanced
300 ohms = 580 balanced
600 ohms = 290 balanced

1 Like

Most amps have a listing for their power output, just like headphones show their requirements. You may need to bust out a manual if itā€™s not on the Ampā€™s site, since maybe amps donā€™t just scale down in power.

You can attach a Topping BC3 Bluetooth Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier Receiver to an iFi Signature or Diablo, for example. The Topping BC3 is tiny and inconspicuous attached to a Signature or Diablo. It already has Bluetooth 5.0 and it supports LDAC and the other hi-res codecs that matter. The key is that it has optical out which will allow you to bypass its internal dac so it really just serves as a really good BT receiver to feed your ideal portable DAC/AMP. Itā€™s inexpensive too and itā€™s good by itself with IEMs for when exercising or walking around the city.

That actually sounds legit! Thanks!

Iā€™ve been owning GL2000 since January 8, was impressed by their performance in terms of soundstage, imaging, details, etc., but wasnā€™t as satisfied with their tonality with both pairs of ear pads. The leather one is a bit too v-shaped and doesnā€™t have enough richness in the mids for my taste (comparing to beyerdynamic T1.2 which I previously owned), and the perforated one (oval not D shaped) fails to seal the headphone enough so it kind of sacrifices the bass extension thus leads to an over-bright tonality.

Not until I tried the Brainwavz XL suede pads which I linked above that I am totally happy with how they sound: great bass with both extension and quantity, rich musical mids and pleasant highs (they seriously need burn in to tame their highs) which I will use ā€œgolden toneā€ to describe it (a bit like hifiman headphones but not as bright).

Iā€™ve also tried the Brainwavz XL velour pads, they absorb too much treble and bass thus make the GL2000 sound unfatigued but boring IMO. Havenā€™t tried those leather or hybrid Brainwavz ear pads though, I am already super satisfied with what I got.

12 Likes

I literally did same thing :laughing: I got my Sivga Phoenix, and I like them a lot! I bought almost simultaneously the Philips X2HR and I donā€™t really enjoy them as much as my Phoenixā€™s. I also watched the DMSā€™s review and thought ā€œmehā€¦ was it a good decision?ā€ But then I put them on and forgot about what he was saying :slight_smile: Now I was quite intrigued by the Zā€™s review of GL2K and I am thinking of buying it. Will see how it unfolds :wink: definitely, Iā€™d love to listen to a gear I intend to buy first from now on.

1 Like

Thank you Zeos. I think you were right.

Just got mine in. First impressions: they may be my favorite headphones Iā€™ve ever owned/triedā€¦maybe!

They compete with any $1000-2000 headphone, IMO, if you like the sound.

I need to try them more, but theyā€™re giving a strong first impression - which is at least saying a lot! I have them hooked up to a Monolith THX DAC/amp via XLR. Iā€™m currently listening with stock leather pads they shipped attached with.

FYI, these are what I own or have tried recently with extended useā€¦

• Sennheiser HD 800S (own)
  • Sennheiser HD 650 (own)
  • HarmonicDyne Zeus (own)
  • STAX L300 (own)
  • Hifiman Sundara (had and returned)
  • AirPods Max (had, returned, and buying again)
  • Nura (own)
  • AirPods Pro (own)

11 Likes

anyone want to trade their xlr cable for my pentaconn?

Hey, interested to how they compare with HD800S. I have the gl2kā€™s, but unsure if i should get them as well.

I have to try them both out more and compare.

Initial impression is that I would have both in a collection.

The HD800S has a rolled off bass, with a unique tuning in the treble that gives it beautiful musical quality.

The GL2000 has bass, not too much, but just right. It also has good representation elsewhere in the tuning. Natural, clean, delightful. I wouldnā€™t sell one or the other.

I would keep both. But itā€™s your money and your call how to budget it!

1 Like

has anyone torn into these headphones yet? how easy are they to pull apart?

1 Like

Cool, lmk what you think about how they compare in terms of soundstage and imaging/detail. Thanks again!

1 Like

Has anyone used these with the Darkvoice? I was thinking about getting one and was curious how they sound on it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard theyre better on hybrid tubes like a TA-20, planars usually donā€™t pair well will a full on tube amp.

1 Like

If I can put in my two cents I have been listening to the GL2000 for a week now and I can see why people are divided on these and many people dislike them so much while other love them.

I believe the reason is that these headphones hide the same vocal and sub vocal range the Sundara put forward the most. They really downplay that same vocal range that defines the sound of the Sundara and that makes vocals feel thinner. In the bass section they mirror the same dynamic, they lower the focus from the higher section of the bass range the Sundara put forth which makes them feel relaxed and less punchy and intense but with a warmer and more surrounding bass.

These are not to be compared at all with the Sundara, they are probably the opposite and people who like their vocal range to be there wonā€™t like them (see DMS who loves the HD6XX) but if you like to be surrounded by the music you will love them. It depends on where you to expect the sonic baricenter to be. While Sundara have a definite one you cannot miss in the vocal range these take it away.
I believe they compare more to a Beyer as sound signature goes and as so far I like them.

8 Likes

I will compare them to the Sundara which I have A/B them with. Mind that my ears are not that trained.

Sadly I do not think they have quite the same level of detail the Sandara as they ā€œhideā€ the frequency range where most nuances are. Donā€™t think they are bad though, the detail may be there but it is likely you wonā€™t hear it as clearly as with the Sundara as that frequency range is recessed.

As imaging goes I believe instead they are materially better than the Sundara. I have been suffering imaging and soundstage on the Sundara and these I believe add both width and depth (probably more depth than width) in comparison. I wonā€™t say they are exceptional in that regard but they are at least better than the Sundara.

5 Likes