šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Do you have that EQ in text form? Iā€™ll try it when I get home from work.

What difference did the mod make?

Iā€˜ve tried the mod too. A looser natural soundstage, and a reduction in volume and detail at mid and high frequencies.

1 Like

Canā€™t save as text from roon, this is the picture of my latest eq settings. It makes mid (vocal) more clear, as you know one problem of gl2000 is that the vocal sound is like behind cloth. And this eq refers to HD800ā€™s curve, not harman target curve.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll say it makes them sound much more normal and in line with the average headphone tuning. I think the tuning paper that was glued to the back of the driver was restricting a LOT of air and was contributing most of that muffled almost ā€œmute on a trumpetā€ or natural tubeyness they had. They officially lost all that character they had before but for the most part itā€™s a win for me. If you are totally in love with the way they sound in stock form this mod is absolutely not for you, though. I wish I had another pair to a/b with because @Jason_ling is saying detail is down but it seems way up, but that might just be the more natural sound tricking my ears. It seems to have lost a lot of that compression sound they had. Itā€™s so weird how different they sound and if goldplanar would have sold them with this tuning sound instead of where they are normally, I think they would have hit a more average demographic instead of the fairly niche sound they ended up with.

1 Like

Vā€™s

Anyone see a trend with the above 2 hype trains? :smile:

4 Likes

Yes, we all saw it, but still hopped on it. Arya for $600 was too big a temptation.

My Dekoni Nuggets in today. Better seal and instant bass improvement.

I wonder why nobody comments on the size of GL2000. My head is quite big, and still on the smallest notch they sat loose.

4 Likes

Just got the Brainwavz SL suede pads you recommendedā€¦WOWā€¦HUGE difference from both stock pads!!! Thanks for the recommendation!

These headphones sound differently based on how they fit your head I think. Before I changed out the pads, I thought they were ā€œgoodā€ but not out of this world. I swapped both stock pads but small differences. Both stock pads were very uncomfortable to me and I could only keep the headphones on my head for a limited time.

BUT after swapping to these Brainwavz pads, the headphones are SPECTACULAR!!! and are very comfortable. Yes these are round and not oval, but the lip is large enough to fit. YMMV but if you are having comfort and/or sound ā€œissuesā€, give these a try.

3 Likes

I might give this a try. I have a super small head and Iā€™m just used to headphones being on the loose side on my head.

-sundara: loose
-gl2k: loose
-sony xm3: loose

Thanks man

Are they deeper than the original leather ones?
How do they affect the soundstage?

TO MEā€¦they ā€œenhanceā€ the soundstage. By deeper, Iā€™m assuming youā€™re talking about the bass??? ā€¦sameā€¦bass also seems to be ā€œenhancedā€. The whole experience seems to be much much better with these pads. Like I said before I think that because the headphones fit my head better with these padsā€¦maybe a better seal??

1 Like

Pretty sure he was talking about the measured pad depth, the room for your ears before they touch the driver cover. Would guess the brainwavz are not as deep as the stock ones.

Iā€™m sure about the stock pads, but via brainwavz website:

Ok, @hawaiibadboy I know you love the stock sound and probably donā€™t want to lose the way they are but I want to hear your opinion on the opened up gl2k. If you buy another pair and mod them and hate them Iā€™ll find someone to buy them off of you. I donā€™t have the expendable income to get a second pair of them or I would do it in a heartbeat. I need someone to confirm what im hearing cause im about to make some really bold claims with nothing to back them up because I canā€™t a/b test them. I know you donā€™t owe me a goddamn thing but God it would be nice to know an opinion other than my own.

2 Likes

Any chance of posting a detailed guide on how to do this safely with pics? Iā€™d try if I was able to not destroy my pair or easily revert it.

1 Like

They look stonking ENORMOUS. Done.

2 Likes

A 5xx would simply flop right off your head.

I meant the physical depth. My ears touch the inner side, and Iā€™d like something deeper.

Itā€™s a hard life being a narrow headed man